GDT: "In The Running" • FLAT CAP FRENZY • Oct.9.2020 • 10 AM • SN / TSN

Which of these free agents do you want the Oilers to sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Whether we land Barrie or Vatanen, we wouldn't be any better defensively as we were vs Chicago.

Not sure how that would magically change.

Because it would be better than not having Barrie or Vatanen?
What would you do that would magically change the defense?

Reactions: nabob

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Because it would be better than not having Barrie or Vatanen?
What would you do that would magically change the defense?

Erik Gustafsson probably for half the price gives you the same level of play at this point.

Brodie was the best defensive D, gone.

Can't offer sheet, don't have room or picks.

I like Dunn, Gostisbehere or Weegar somehow in trade but no idea what a return would look like.

Stecher as a UFA could work.

I'm looking at it and thinking Caleb Jones getting more icetime is going to be a better option than a bunch of these guys available.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
MAF is running out of options and is stuck in a shitty situation with Vegas. I think he would come here. He would have waived for Calgary a few years ago when the Pens were trying to dump him.

Reactions: nabob and Oilhawks

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Barrie goes to VAN, then do we target Hamonic? He’s stated before wanting to be in Western Canada.

Barrie on 1 year deal or Hamonic on a 2 year deal are decent options.

Reactions: yukoner88

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Our defense is full, we never needed him, I'm seen 50 posts offering him. We don't want him .

Edit: I'll add, our GM literally said our defense was done about 3 hours ago. Finito.
Ken Holland said he's done with the forward group this afternoon as well. I don't buy it. He's waiting for the market to open up because there's still a lot of players out there.

It's not really about need, it's about utilising cap space to gain additional assets. There has been a serious lack of activity around the league in terms of salary movement and I'm not sure it'd smart for Dorion to pass up free assets that come at minimal cost to the club in terms of actual dollars.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Erik Gustafsson probably for half the price gives you the same level of play at this point.

I like Dunn, Gostisbehere or Weegar somehow in trade but no idea what a return would look like.

I'm looking at it and thinking Caleb Jones getting more icetime is going to be a better option than a bunch of these guys available.
Gustafsson in no way gives you the same level of play as Barrie. Barrie is average to below average defensively. Gustafsson is abysmal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

None of those guys you listed are appreciably better than Barrie or Vatanen and some would cost assets to acquire. I don't see how Dunn, Gustafsson, Ghost, Weegar or Stecher magically improve the defense if Barrie or Vatanen don't.

In any event, I'd bet anything that Barrie signs in Vancouver so cross that one off the list most likely.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Someone tweeted that they weren’t interested in him.

Hamonic would be a good addition as a #4/5. He’d be a good signing if we can nab him on a 1-2 year term. He’s a pro caliber NHL D man.

He’s not the puck mover I’d ideally target, but he’d be a good pickup for us and can take some heavy defensive matchups when needed.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Capfriendly says $5.28 million in cap remaining. I’d expect around $4 million to be spent, so $2.5 mill on a backup and $1.5 mill on D if they can’t clear any cap?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Anaheim only has Gibson right now and are currently over the cap but that includes Kesler's bloated salary. Chicago, Buffalo, and Detroit might also be looking for a goalie. It looks like everyone else has a legitimate starter or 1A/1B thing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad