GDT: "In The Running" • FLAT CAP FRENZY • Oct.9.2020 • 10 AM • SN / TSN

Which of these free agents do you want the Oilers to sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I 1000% see Barrie going to Van, they have the space to give him a cheap 1 year deal, can probably afford to pay him more than EDM, they have like 7.9M and only have to sign Virtanen and Gaudette as RFA.

Benning wanted to make a big splash but couldn’t make it happen, no way he sits back and let’s hm go elsewhere.

The only issue is Hughes is going to get 1PP so that leaves 2PP for Barrie. He might not like that.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I 1000% see Barrie going to Van, they have the space to give him a cheap 1 year deal, can probably afford to pay him more than EDM, they have like 7.9M and only have to sign Virtanen and Gaudette as RFA.

Benning wanted to make a big splash but couldn’t make it happen, no way he sits back and let’s hm go elsewhere.
I don't see the fit. Players on 1 year deals are looking to recover their value before hitting a bigger, longer term payday. Barrie wouldn't have PP1 time in Vancouver and that's what hindered his value in Toronto.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Our 'energy' line will be the fourth line. As it stands Khaira/Haas will center it unless we get a cheap 4C in the later stages of FA.

The 'third' like is going to be a third scoring line seeing soft minutes in all likelihood, allowing Puljujarvi to get his feet wet. Turris' assignment is probably helping JP out in a similar manner that Strome did. Hopefully the results are better.

If a 'shutdown' line happens, it'll probably be later in the season when we can add a heavier cap hit.
I agree that that is the plan, but it irritates me that our team defense is so terrible! A shutdown line would make our defenseman and goalies look so much better.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don’t think OTT has to pay that contract (insurance), so they don’t really care about moving it. Chiasson for Gaborik costs them 2.15M real dollars that they would want an asset for the privilege of acquiring. I do wonder if they would take a low pick (5th rd next year say) and be happy to have a veteran they are familiar with in Chiasson, or if they would grill us like most teams and ask for a 2nd+.
Chaisson was sent packing for a reason. He's not welcome back.

You hit the nail on the head though. Ottawa doesn't pay Gaborik, so there is no real point in trade him away.

That said, Ottawa still pays a small position of his salary that isn't covered, so if the Oilers or Leafs came calling offering to take him in exchange for a player making like...1M that Ottawa was comfortable with, it could theoretically make sense.

Chaisson makes too much though so it wouldn't work, it would have to be a depth forward making like....800K or a quality depth forward Ottawa wanted making like 1.3M

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

You hit the nail on the head though. Ottawa doesn't pay Gaborik, so there is no real point in trade him away.

That said, Ottawa still pays a small position of his salary that isn't covered, so if the Oilers or Leafs came calling offering to take him in exchange for a player making like...1M that Ottawa was comfortable with, it could theoretically make sense.

Chaisson makes too much though so it wouldn't work, it would have to be a depth forward making like....800K or a quality depth forward Ottawa wanted making like 1.3M
Khaira?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Unless he’s getting term it would be a poor decision on his part. No way they give him PP time over the ‘child prodigy.’

But I could see him making a myopic decision like that

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
There's too many forwards on the roster at the moment. Who's getting traded?

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Ennis - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Neal - Turris - Puljujarvi
x - Haas - Archibald
x

x = Chiasson, Khaira, Nygard, Prussell

Chiasson + Khaira opens up another $3.35M in space.

Khaira stays as part as someone has to PK so he is the fourth line X.
Nygard and Prussell are signed and will battle with McLeod and Benson spots and as injury call-ups. So as Holland said he wont add any forwards, sorry for those wanting a Hoffman or Hall as the cap is a realty and we need to sign Bear, another Dman and a goalie.

I see Fleury with Koskinen as the 1A/1B. Vegas retains some on Fleury and also take Chiasson back is my guess for the Goalie situation and clearing up a forward.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
We need D men who can move the puck in transition. Bouchard is close, Jones and Bear are at that age where they should start taking the next step. Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, etc. are still brewing and another year or so away at the earliest. Lagesson is likely the most pro ready for a #7 type role. The cavalry is on the way but still a little ways out, I think Bouchard makes the team out of camp.

I agree though, we do need to pick up one of the remaining D who has real, legitimate NHL experience.

Would be nice to have one more veteran dman to force the kids (Bouchard and co.) to compete for the spot. But that could probably be done with a pto

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Khaira stays as part as someone has to PK so he is the fourth line X.
Nygard and Prussell are signed and will battle with McLeod and Benson spots and as injury call-ups. So as Holland said he wont add any forwards, sorry for those wanting a Hoffman or Hall as the cap is a realty and we need to sign Bear, another Dman and a goalie.

I see Fleury with Koskinen as the 1A/1B. Vegas retains some on Fleury and also take Chiasson back is my guess for the Goalie situation and clearing up a forward.
Fleury-Koskinen would be an interesting tandem.

Fleury would have to battle Draisaitl for the #29.

Reactions: brentashton

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Whether we land Barrie or Vatanen, we wouldn't be any better defensively as we were vs Chicago.

Not sure how that would magically change.

Reactions: mullet

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I agree that that is the plan, but it irritates me that our team defense is so terrible! A shutdown line would make our defenseman and goalies look so much better.
A bottom six that can drive the play for the majority of the time will help the defense more than a shutdown line. Very few teams have the depth to run a traditional shutdown line during the regular season.

I can guarantee you you'd have some unhappy signees if you decided to run them on a fourth line.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Honestly, I am down for Fleury at 3.5 M. Plus, the 2nd will take the sting away from AA.

Fleury is also a good lockeroom guy + leadership.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Russell for Gaborik makes perfect sense. He makes $1m cash on a $4m cap hit and more likely than not he'd be a coveted playoff rental. Particularly at a retained cap hit.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Goalies still available:

Cory Schneider?, Craig Anderson, Jimmy Howard, Thomas Greiss, Mike Condon, Mike Smith, Aaron Dell, Ryan Miller, Marc-Andre Fleury, Darcy Kuemper?, Antti Raanta?

Not great except for the last three who would need to be acquired through trade.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Damn, lots of signings tonight.
I guess the Brodie and Krug signings mean that Pietrangelo will sign in Vegas, of course, since Vegas gets all the luck with things falling into their lap conveniently.

Meanwhile while all these teams improve their defense and goaltending, there's this....

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

I know there's time for Holland to upgrade the defense but, man, that defense is tough on the eyes. A 2nd year guy who struggled a lot towards the end of last season on the top pairing, what is essentially a rookie in the top 4, an actual rookie on the bottom pairing, a guy with chronic back issues and a $4M bottom pairing Dman. This is a defense that needed upgrading with Klefbom and now? May god help us.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Honestly, I am down for Fleury at 3.5 M. Plus, the 2nd will take the sting away from AA.

Fleury is also a good lockeroom guy + leadership.
He has a 10 team no trade list, I'd be willing to bet we are the top name on that list. Also, to afford Pietro they couldn't retain half his salary.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Russell for Gaborik makes perfect sense. He makes $1m cash on a $4m cap hit and more likely than not he'd be a coveted playoff rental. Particularly at a retained cap hit.
Our defense is full, we never needed him, I'm seen 50 posts offering him. We don't want him .

Edit: I'll add, our GM literally said our defense was done about 3 hours ago. Finito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad