GDT: "In The Running" • FLAT CAP FRENZY • Oct.9.2020 • 10 AM • SN / TSN

Which of these free agents do you want the Oilers to sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Capfriendly says $5.28 million in cap remaining. I’d expect around $4 million to be spent, so $2.5 mill on a backup and $1.5 mill on D if they can’t clear any cap?

That seems like Smith and Stecher to me. Team is in trouble if Holland can't move some money out.

Edit: They have to sign Bear too. Yep, team is in big trouble. f***ing Klefbom wrecked them.

Ken Morey

Oct 10, 2020
yea I think Barrie would prefer vancouver even if he doesn’t get #1pp time. It’s home, better team right now and they’re probably offering him more than just a 1yr “show me” deal.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That seems like Smith and Stecher to me. Team is in trouble if Holland can't move some money out.

Edit: They have to sign Bear too. Yep, team is in big trouble.

Shit, yeah. So $1.5 for a goalie lol.

Come on down Aaron Dell!

If Holland said he expects to grab another D and goalie he must have some measure of clearing cap.

They can’t afford Barrie.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
yea I think Barrie would prefer vancouver even if he doesn’t get #1pp time. It’s home, better team right now and they’re probably offering him more than just a 1yr “show me” deal.
He’s also from Victoria.

What we have going for us is McDrai and pp time.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Leon and Connor were in on just under 70% of Oiler goals last year. Nuts. Just getting some goddam support from the bottom 8 will be immense. If we can get the puck to them from the back end lol.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Who cares, we can’t afford him anyhow.

He can go help give Holtby PTSD there

Reactions: Snipes45

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Glad Crawford is off the board, because I totally could have seen Holland thinking he had more in the tank to justify tandem money/games. Younger, please.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Edit: They have to sign Bear too. Yep, team is in big trouble. f***ing Klefbom wrecked them.
Someone is getting traded to make more room. I know Holland said he likes the forward depth but there's too many forwards on the team right now and they can't/won't be spending millions in cap on players who don't play every night. I don't think Neal is movable but Chiasson and Khaira are. Plus there's the Starfish contract that is cheap in actual money. The only problem is Chiarelli gave him a NTC.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Come on down Aaron Dell!

If Holland said he expects to grab another D and goalie he must have some measure of clearing cap.

He did say backup goalie and "under the radar" D a.k.a. bottom pairing guy. Chia effect and the AA trade compounded with the Klefbom injury and subsequent uncertainty regarding LTIR really f***ed this team. Essentially next season will be a development year unless Holland can pull off some trade magic. He did do a good job building the 3rd line but the defense and goaltending are way below average as it stands.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ken Holland said he's done with the forward group this afternoon as well. I don't buy it. He's waiting for the market to open up because there's still a lot of players out there.

It's not really about need, it's about utilising cap space to gain additional assets. There has been a serious lack of activity around the league in terms of salary movement and I'm not sure it'd smart for Dorion to pass up free assets that come at minimal cost to the club in terms of actual dollars.
They have 7 guys who are going to be on one-way contracts and another 2 that need to pass waivers who are undoubtedly more valuable than whatever the Oilers will attach to Russell.

IF, and I mean IF, they can even get him to waive. I suppose they could just send Russell to Ottawa by putting him on waivers, but then they'd have to agree to take on Gaborik's contract for future considerations. I don't think Russell would really appreciate his NTC being circumvented.

It makes zero sense for Ottawa to take on unnecessary salary. I don't care if the difference is 800K between Gaborik and Russell, we don't need to waste cash for draft picks. We are the last team on earth that is going to do that.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton

Come on down Aaron Dell!

Must have something in works for clearing cap or he is thinking klef will be on ltir giving them little more to spend

Reactions: Oilhawks

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
They have 7 guys who are going to be on one-way contracts and another 2 that need to pass waivers who are undoubtedly more valuable than whatever the Oilers will attach to Russell.

IF, and I mean IF, they can even get him to waive. I suppose they could just send Russell to Ottawa by putting him on waivers, but then they'd have to agree to take on Gaborik's contract for future considerations. I don't think Russell would really appreciate his NTC being circumvented.

It makes zero sense for Ottawa to take on unnecessary salary. I don't care if the difference is 800K between Gaborik and Russell, we don't need to waste cash for draft picks. We are the last team on earth that is going to do that.
Russell has an NMC Too

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

They went on a nice little run in the Covid playoffs but they aren't a better team. We were the better team this season and they just lost their mvp goalie and most stable dman.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Gustafsson in no way gives you the same level of play as Barrie. Barrie is average to below average defensively. Gustafsson is abysmal.

None of those guys you listed are appreciably better than Barrie or Vatanen and some would cost assets to acquire. I don't see how Dunn, Gustafsson, Ghost, Weegar or Stecher magically improve the defense if Barrie or Vatanen don't.

In any event, I'd bet anything that Barrie signs in Vancouver so cross that one off the list most likely.

I'll just disagree with you guys on Barrie. Aside from 2018-19 where he was alright or the closest to average he's ever been (and probably why Toronto banked on him staying alright), he is generally an abysmal defensive D-man. The value from Barrie is PP and in the offensive zone, but if he's not with a rock, huge liability. I am actively cheering on the Canucks to pay for him knowing they don't have the rock to play him with either. Ian Cole in 2018-19 was massive for Barrie, Cole is so underrated.

Our PP was 1st in the league. We didn't lose to Chicago because we didn't have guys getting points. It was because Nurse, Bear, Klef, Russell were so bad in our own zone, our forwards defensive positioning was garbage and the goaltending wasn't elite enough (Koskinen was fine, lots wasn't his fault) to cover the mistakes.

Tyson Barrie doesn't fix that.

Weegar is a better defensive guy, him and Ekblad together were pretty solid, I didn't quite read a post on Weegar/Ekblad earlier but from watching the pairing he held his own well. Stecher is up and down but not a huge liability and it wouldn't cost much. Gustafsson isn't great defensively but to me it's comparable to Barrie. I do agree that I don't think we have trade assets potentially to get in on some of the younger fits.

I don't mind Vatanen but he's a concussion away from missing half the season and retiring.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Russell for Rielly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad