Value of: In the Future - a 2C to the New York Rangers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I heard NYR has the best prospects. Where is their 2nd line center from that prospect group?

The top 3 are Lias Andersson/Filip Chytil/Brett Howden. Then you have Karl Henriksson who has a lot of potential, but that is kind of hard to pin down right now.

Chytil turned 20 just the other week and Lias is from the same draft. They will need a little more time. Chytil is a bit of a freak physically. Speed, strength, soft hands, everything. But I am afraid that NYR has rushed him a bit, he has been in the NHL/AHL the last 2 years. His decision making and experience from playing a lot with the puck is underdeveloped due to playing at such a high level. He must get back on track in the AHL.

Lias has so much hockey in him and so much natural talent, but he has also been playing pro hockey since he 16 y/o. The last year his physics was just behind, had played hockey around the calendar year for too long and not had time to build up his body. This year he has a totally different jump in his skating. Many NYR fans are pinning for him to get a shot with more quality line mates sooner rather than later.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

This is just comedy gold:
screenshot_20191001_103112-jpg.259051

Stop corsi scouting!!!!!

Reactions: Kupo

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Eric Staal for your top 20 protected 1st round pick. Surprised the OP didn't list K'Andre Miller as untouchable.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The top 3 are Lias Andersson/Filip Chytil/Brett Howden. Then you have Karl Henriksson who has a lot of potential, but that is kind of hard to pin down right now.

Chytil turned 20 just the other week and Lias is from the same draft. They will need a little more time. Chytil is a bit of a freak physically. Speed, strength, soft hands, everything. But I am afraid that NYR has rushed him a bit, he has been in the NHL/AHL the last 2 years. His decision making and experience from playing a lot with the puck is underdeveloped due to playing at such a high level. He must get back on track in the AHL.

Lias has so much hockey in him and so much natural talent, but he has also been playing pro hockey since he 16 y/o. The last year his physics was just behind, had played hockey around the calendar year for too long and not had time to build up his body. This year he has a totally different jump in his skating. Many NYR fans are pinning for him to get a shot with more quality line mates sooner rather than later.

Maybe trade some guy for a proven one, if having that many?

Reactions: Ola

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Why????

Rangers are not ready to be cup contenders. They currently want to fight for a playoff spot and let the kids develop.

Reactions: viper0220

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A late 1st for a guy who has over 50 points each of the last 3 seasons?
Because we should make the same mistake, twice? I mean, Staal isn't getting any younger and doesn't really fit our time-line of when we're competitive and how long we should be competitive. We've had Staal before, for whatever reason it didn't work. Staal is playing at a much higher level than when we had him, but value aside, we're not doing that again.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Eric Staal for your top 20 protected 1st round pick. Surprised the OP didn't list K'Andre Miller as untouchable.

Why would the Rangers do this?
34yr old C who would not be part of a future with NY.
A 1st? That is an absolute no. We'll wait until the kids are ready.

Reactions: slg1963

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A team pushing for Staal is a deep playoff team, or a playoff team that just lost their center. Doesn't make any sense for us right now. We don't appear to be in that position.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Though Staal hasn’t looked like an NHL player thus far this year, I’d do Staal + Johansson for Chytil

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Though Staal hasn’t looked like an NHL player thus far this year, I’d do Staal + Johansson for Chytil

And NY certainly wouldn't, this does not address the direction the Rangers have obviously been building on.
The Rangers could surprise us and move a younger player, but it is not going to be for a 34yr old C.
Johansson might turn out to be a fine defender but the Rangers have plenty of those in their system right now.......this just doesn't address what they need.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I just don't see who would be available, if a young C who can play 2C right away was on the block it would cost one of our top D prospects + for sure and idk if Rangers fans will have the stomach for trading one of those guys so soon,

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
And NY certainly wouldn't, this does not address the direction the Rangers have obviously been building on.
The Rangers could surprise us and move a younger player, but it is not going to be for a 34yr old C.
Johansson might turn out to be a fine defender but the Rangers have plenty of those in their system right now.......this just doesn't address what they need.
I though the Idea was to give them a 2C for a year or two while their young guys can develop into one. Staal does that

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I though the Idea was to give them a 2C for a year or two while their young guys can develop into one. Staal does that
The OP was about a #2c in the future for the NYR. Meaning obtaining a #2c in the future if in a position to actually make a run and our young players at center don't step up for the #2c role. I don't think a short term C makes any sense unless we're an actual playoff threat. So there's a lot of "It doesn't make sense", and right now it doesn't, but change happens when you find yourself in a position to succeed. Until then, we're obviously not interested in moving out any high prospect/pick for any center on the wrong side of 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad