Value of: In the Future - a 2C to the New York Rangers

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Seems like we're giving Lias, Chytil, Howden and Strome every chance to assume that 2C role, but in the event that we're playing very well and contending but those four guys don't step up, I'm wondering what it would take to acquire a legit 2C. So far none of them look ready to handle top-6 minutes, but that could easily change when the regular season rolls around. BUTTTTT in the event that it doesn't, make us some offers for your 2Cs. You know the untouchables: Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Trouba, Shesterkin...

And you also would need to take back salary since we're pressed against the cap.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Seems like we're giving Lias, Chytil, Howden and Strome every chance to assume that 2C role, but in the event that we're playing very well and contending but those four guys don't step up, I'm wondering what it would take to acquire a legit 2C. So far none of them look ready to handle top-6 minutes, but that could easily change when the regular season rolls around. BUTTTTT in the event that it doesn't, make us some offers for your 2Cs. You know the untouchables: Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Trouba, Shesterkin...

And you also would need to take back salary since we're pressed against the cap.

On top of my head I don’t have any names but with the assets you’re putting on the table you’re probably looking at a 27-33 years old with limited terms (~2 years left on his deal) that can put up 45-50 points a year.

Edit: Henrique would be a prime example of what you can (possibly) acquire

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

So you want a 2C but dont wanna give up anything of value...got it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
sorry i don't see why they need to find the best guy to be 2C this season
this year, maybe next too, is just continuation of last 1-1/2 seasons, transitioning to the next generation, no urgency to optimize the roster
i trust Gorts to figure it out by the time its needed, likely '21-22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

We can trade you henrique for a cap dump + pick + rhd prospect

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

OP is well intended but overreacted; sky is not yet falling, and not likely to.

Lias started to show adequate skating, which was total abortion all of last yr except last 3 wks. He will improve. However, atm he does not deserve 2C, Arguably best served w/mo mins in the A, to start.

Chytil - not nec most complementary fit overall, but best of the bunch with legit flashes of skill based on real ability IF you insist on having your 2C contribute scoring, not merely facilitate it. [Explanation below.]

Howden - has the wheels and more, but needs to grow. 3 or 4C atm depending on where Chytil plays (W?) and other factors.

Strome - big improvement on what we gave up for him, and we sometimes see his 5OA pedigree tools. An improvement and much better value at 3.1 than Namest at 4. Also righty shot who can do RW. Nonetheless not part of the core going forward. Should not only not be kept, but need his and Namest mins given to younger guys. Give away Namest at half, take fair market value for Strome.

--------
Setting aside in 2ish yrs Morgan Baron [sp?] may be ready, we have internal options.
---------

Whoever the 2C is, we can defeat the prob by using Kravtsov as our 1C, this pushes Zib to second line.
discussion:
Krav already shows phenomenal vision and superior passing. Would be a sin not to use at pivot, which he demonstrated he could handle at high level in brief sample previously.
LW Kakko - C Krav - RW Panarin
{Note: F slots are based on faceoffs and def zone positioning, so someone does not have to reach over to their off hand. On offense, go with what chemistry is most comfortable. Applies for all lines.}

KK drops Kreider to 2LW. Has history with Zib, want to retain that.
So one option would be
Kreider - Zib - correct RW
however, I'd prefer to sell high on Buch, and keep Chytil as 3C or 3LW.

The big, fast, good passer, solid defensive pivot who will not score a ton but will facilitate best for both Kreider and Zib, now on RW, keeping that chemistry, is Boo Nieves.
Yeah,, I know, you're shocked.

But I will go there until Rangers relent and give this kid a chance on my experiment. Everyone bemoans his lack of tallies; meanwhile he had McLeod most of last year, and other such scoring machines at his Ws.

That leaves an interesting mix for the bottom six. But that is another story for another time.

Reactions: cwede

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Lundkvist, Rykov, Lindgren, Reunanen, Lias, a draft pick

sorry i just don't see any near-term priority to thinning out the pipeline depth NYR worked so hard to build

you don't know which guys will make it, vs which may fall short, or have bad luck
any of those D, first 4 names listed, may end up with a stronger NHL career than Hajek, Fox or Miller
pedigree does not guarantee success

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
sorry i just don't see any near-term priority to thinning out the pipeline depth NYR worked so hard to build

you don't know which guys will make it, vs which may fall short, or have bad luck
any of those D, first 4 names listed, may end up with a stronger NHL career than Hajek, Fox or Miller
pedigree does not guarantee success

If we're in contention, why wouldn't we try to go for it all without disrupting things too much?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If we're in contention, why wouldn't we try to go for it all without disrupting things too much?

i appreciate your point, i just don't see it that way,
even if in contention, even if they make post-season, its still a learning season
use these kids throughout, to better see what they got and help them grow

if they could turn a promising very young player at a deep position into a similarly promising top-C very young player like a Necas (an example, not a proposal) , maybe sure, but not for a 26-27-28-+ year old who will be past-peak in a couple years

I still see unlimited potential in the young C's NYR have, its up to them, and the coaches, to get them to delivering their best consistently

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Let's approach this when the time comes. By July 1st 2021, we'll have a sizable amount of cap space and can dip into FA as opposed to losing assets. However, if a appropriate opportunity comes up, sure. But a lot can change between now and when this would be required.

Reactions: bernmeister

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Sell Kreider for a haul, and then use those assets at the draft to acquire one.

Other than that, you're paddling upstream. Not many teams have "spare 2Cs" in late September heading into the season.

The Rangers won't be selling anything if they're in a position to contend and a soon to be UFA Kreider wouldn't return much more than a late 1st+, hardly enough for a top 6 C

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So you want a 2C but dont wanna give up anything of value...got it.
A few post in is all it took... I mean, why even bother posting? Oh, because it involved NYR.

The poster didn't even use the words young or stud. The poster listed obviously players we wouldn't be trading right now. Guess you just felt like bumping up your likes.

Reactions: Kaapo Feel

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
OP is well intended but overreacted; sky is not yet falling, and not likely to.

Lias started to show adequate skating, which was total abortion all of last yr except last 3 wks. He will improve. However, atm he does not deserve 2C, Arguably best served w/mo mins in the A, to start.

Chytil - not nec most complementary fit overall, but best of the bunch with legit flashes of skill based on real ability IF you insist on having your 2C contribute scoring, not merely facilitate it. [Explanation below.]

Howden - has the wheels and more, but needs to grow. 3 or 4C atm depending on where Chytil plays (W?) and other factors.

Strome - big improvement on what we gave up for him, and we sometimes see his 5OA pedigree tools. An improvement and much better value at 3.1 than Namest at 4. Also righty shot who can do RW. Nonetheless not part of the core going forward. Should not only not be kept, but need his and Namest mins given to younger guys. Give away Namest at half, take fair market value for Strome.

--------
Setting aside in 2ish yrs Morgan Baron [sp?] may be ready, we have internal options.
---------

Whoever the 2C is, we can defeat the prob by using Kravtsov as our 1C, this pushes Zib to second line.
discussion:
Krav already shows phenomenal vision and superior passing. Would be a sin not to use at pivot, which he demonstrated he could handle at high level in brief sample previously.
LW Kakko - C Krav - RW Panarin
{Note: F slots are based on faceoffs and def zone positioning, so someone does not have to reach over to their off hand. On offense, go with what chemistry is most comfortable. Applies for all lines.}

KK drops Kreider to 2LW. Has history with Zib, want to retain that.
So one option would be
Kreider - Zib - correct RW
however, I'd prefer to sell high on Buch, and keep Chytil as 3C or 3LW.

The big, fast, good passer, solid defensive pivot who will not score a ton but will facilitate best for both Kreider and Zib, now on RW, keeping that chemistry, is Boo Nieves.
Yeah,, I know, you're shocked.

But I will go there until Rangers relent and give this kid a chance on my experiment. Everyone bemoans his lack of tallies; meanwhile he had McLeod most of last year, and other such scoring machines at his Ws.

That leaves an interesting mix for the bottom six. But that is another story for another time.

You honestly had me until you mentioned Kravtsov at center. Then the train started slowly going off the rails.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad