Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
You mean the Avs signed a forward with some size? This makes me happy.

EJ isn't going anywhere. If they trade him before firing Sacco, this organization is truly doing things ass backwards.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You mean the Avs signed a forward with some size? This makes me happy.

EJ isn't going anywhere. If they trade him before firing Sacco, this organization is truly doing things ass backwards.

I know its kind of shocking. I like the signing, he seems to have a bit a Chris Stewart in him. Hopefully he can continue to put up solid numbers and one day make the Avs as a gritty 2nd/3rd liner winger.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm surprised so many are against dealing Hejda. Seeing what UFA defensemen are going for in trades has me wondering what a team would trade for him. I didn't realize he turns 35 this summer. While he's been good with the Avs, he's also been inconsistent and I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline start in the near future. If you can get good value for him, I'm all for trading him.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm surprised so many are against dealing Hejda. Seeing what UFA defensemen are going for in trades has me wondering what a team would trade for him. I didn't realize he turns 35 this summer. While he's been good with the Avs, he's also been inconsistent and I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline start in the near future. If you can get good value for him, I'm all for trading him.

I agree, but only if the price is right. Barrie could use his presence to continue developing if we don't get a solid return.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Wow, I am truly shocked by the thread on the main board. I thought for sure it would be like, "2nd pairing defenceman, blank offers 3rd pairing defenceman + 2nd." For the most part it was people just saying not going to happen, or Avs should just keep him. Anyways, enough of this..

The problem with moving Hejda is that who becomes a guy Barrie's partner next season? O'Brien would hamper Barrie, Hunwick is too little to be paired with him, I guess if Zanon is still here, but then that means he has to play 18-20 minutes a night. I'd hope the Avs would get at least two 2nd round picks seeing as Murray and Regher got that. If he did get traded, I wouldn't mind seeing (after the trade deadline):

Barrie-EJ
Hunwick-O'Brien
Zanon-Elliott

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I guess it all depends on where we see ourselves in the next two seasons and what Hejda's importance is to this team, if any. Personally, if we could get a 1st round pick from somebody, I'd probably do it. However, we should consider the other side of the equation. Keeping Hejda does provide a solid, defensive, veteran presence for, say, a Tyson Barrie or Seth Jones(fingers crossed) to be paired with for the next couple of seasons. He'd also be a good mentor for a Duncan Siemens type, too.

Here's my thinking... if we can get some draft picks(2nds/3rds/4ths) for stuff like Kobasew/O'Byrne/Zanon/Hunwick/Bordeleau(UFA so?)/Jones(doubtful), I'd keep Hejda. However, if somebody offers up a 1st and we're not getting much done on the other fronts, I'd think long and hard about it, that's for sure.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

He is also slowing down. I would support moving him.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Get a 1st for Hejda, from a bubble team. Then they miss the playoffs anyway. And then that 1st wins the lottery. SCORE!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO we need to keep Hejda at least until next year's deadline. His value shouldn't significantly drop between now and then, and it gives Siemens 3/4 of a year to get acclimated to playing in the professional ranks. If he is playing well, give him a week or two in Feb to see if he can handle the load. If he can, trade Hejda.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If people think the proposals in the EJ thread are bad, the actual return would be terrifying to most.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
“You just never know,†Johnson said. â€It’s probably an unnerving time for everybody. Anything can happen.“

“I love it in Colorado. I love all my teammates, and the coaching staff has given me an opportunity every game to play a lot of minutes,†Johnson said. “I want to stay here as long as I can.â€
-Johnson

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If people think the proposals in the EJ thread are bad, the actual return would be terrifying to most.

Yeah they are laughably bad. I would expect the Avs would be seeking an identical return to what the had to give up to get him. Which would be young NHL ready prospect (Shattenkirk), one already developed young forward (Stewart) and possibly a higher pick (2nd).

A hypothetical deal would probably look something like:

To Col:
D Hamilton
B Marchand
3rd

To Bos:
EJ
McCleod
2nd

Chances of Boston ever doing this is very slim, but that is the kind of overpayment that the Avs would probably be seeking. Avs management has a lot riding on the initial EJ trade and they aren't going to give him away for peanuts on the dollar because that would make them look even worse, for giving up promising players like Shattenkirk and Stewart in the first place and not having anything to show for it 2.5 years later

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I didn't mean terrifying to the other teams fans, I meant to us. We would never get a package like what we gave up for him. His contract makes him a valuable asset, but we wouldn't get close to what most of you think we would. His stock has fallen since coming to the Avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5m
Marc-Andre Bergeron has been dealt to Carolina.

Curious considering they are in the market for a shutdown guy. McBain on his way out?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I disagree big time. He's one of our few reliable pieces on D other than EJ, and his experience will be great for Barrie's development while also buying us time with Siemens. Yeah he's old, but his impact will last beyond his years playing here and when he does slow down, Siemens will be ready to take over for him.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I didn't mean terrifying to the other teams fans, I meant to us. We would never get a package like what we gave up for him. His contract makes him a valuable asset, but we wouldn't get close to what most of you think we would. His stock has fallen since coming to the Avs.

I think it is the opposite. This is not Sherman shopping Johnson for the best return. This is teams calling and asking for him. Sherman won't trade him unless the value is so good he can't turn it down, in which case it won't be a bad return. Sherman is basically trading his job if he moves Johnson for less than a spectacular return. He knows this. Don't be worried.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Don't see the Avs trading EJ, unless some team steps up and overpays. Overpayment for me would be a 1st round pick, a roster player and a good prospect. Don't see many teams doing that, but who knows.

The return would have to be much better than what the Flames got from St. Louis in the Bouwmeester deal.

As for Hejda, yeah he's been hit or miss this season but he's our 2nd best defenceman and our lone healthy and solid left hander. I would rather we kept him, unless we get a return that is surprisingly good. Yeah, he's getting older but we're going to need veterans to log minutes as we try and put guys like Siemens, Barrie and Elliott in positions to succeed.

You can't rush those kids and put them in spots that aren't fair for them or the team.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Don't see the Avs trading EJ, unless some team steps up and overpays. Overpayment for me would be a 1st round pick, a roster player and a good prospect. Don't see many teams doing that, but who knows.

The return would have to be much better than what the Flames got from St. Louis in the Bouwmeester deal.

As for Hejda, yeah he's been hit or miss this season but he's our 2nd best defenceman and our lone healthy and solid left hander. I would rather we kept him, unless we get a return that is surprisingly good. Yeah, he's getting older but we're going to need veterans to log minutes as we try and put guys like Siemens, Barrie and Elliott in positions to succeed.

You can't rush those kids and put them in spots that aren't fair for them or the team.

Philly is in dire need to improve their defense. Holmgren is a riverboat gambler, as is Sherman. I am terrified of the discussion possibilities those 2 would have.

image.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Philly is in dire need to improve their defense. Holmgren is a riverboat gambler, as is Sherman. I am terrified of the discussion possibilities those 2 would have.
qm.gif

It would start with 1st + Couturier + so don't worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad