Please grade the Ruff hire for the Sabres

How would you grade the Sabres’ hiring of stuff?

• A

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • B

Votes: 28 17.5%
  • C

Votes: 58 36.3%
  • D

Votes: 40 25.0%
  • F

Votes: 23 14.4%

• Total voters

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
How would you grade the decision to hire Ruff? I’m not asking about Ruff himself, he’s a C or D coach imo, but the actual move- yay or nay?

Personally I’m stuck between D and F. I view it as a very cynical move- it’s the cheapest somewhat respectable option, and it’ll fuel some nostalgia, so that Terry loses less money before selling at an immense profit in 2-3 years. Ruff isn’t there to win a cup, he’s there because that’s the bare minimum to maybe get this talented squad a first round loss, finally. That’s good enough for Pegula, is my read, but I’m curious what others think.

Oh, makes for a nice last stop for Ruff as well, there’s that angle.

Oops, it auto-edited Ruff to “stuff” and idk how to change it. Also, that’s really funny and it kinda fits, so I have no interest in changing it. Ruff is stuff.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No idea. But I hope theese dinosaurs go extinct soon so we can get some new coaches
Like Rolston, Housley, Ralph The Hockey Terrorist* or Granato?

* Yes I know he coached the lockout season for Edmonton. Whatever, he only coached slightly over half an actual season's worth of games.

Reactions: DaveG

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Ruff will get you there and thats what they need- the monkey off their back. 2 years is a good number. Was there a better hire out there? Maybe. Did they want to coach the Sabres? Not sure. I wouldn’t be outright shocked if he doesn’t end their futility streak, but they should make the playoffs under his tenure.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gallant got sacked last season after losing a playoff series to a team coached by Lindy.
Lindy was the main reason that series went 7 instead of 5.

Gallant probably wouldn't have been a bad hire. Gallant is definitely a goober and has the shortest shelf life among coaches because he does nothing beyond the initial "here's what I want you to do, go do it" but that first year is always great. He seems like a fit for a team that just needs to start winning and take another step.

Reactions: Bone Density

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lindy was the main reason that series went 7 instead of 5.

Gallant probably wouldn't have been a bad hire. Gallant is definitely a goober and has the shortest shelf life among coaches because he does nothing beyond the initial "here's what I want you to do, go do it" but that first year is always great. He seems like a fit for a team that just needs to start winning and take another step.
Gallant managed to lose a playoff series to a guy who was literally living in Garth Snow's basement

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Agree it's a cynical move, but Ruff shouldn't be a disaster in Buffalo, and maybe will unlock something with the talent there. The Devils last year were terrific, and although he had no answers for poor goaltending, injuries, and the fact that teams had figured out how to counter the devils quick attacking style this year, I think he might help the Sabres next year get to the playoffs.

Evergreen

I voted C but I could see it being a decent B-grade hire simply because Ruff’s name carries some cache and earns respect in Buffalo. I think the current Sabres roster needs someone in charge who commands respect.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean kind of hard to judge before a single game, no?

Babcock was utterly celebrated by the Leaf’s as a basically guaranteed Cup.

I remember many Avs fans did not like Bednar

NYR LOVED the Quinn hire

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Gave it a C. Buffalo absolutely needs a hard, older coach to yell at the roster full of lazy, entitled loafers. That may be Lindy, or it may not be.

Reactions: BB79

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If they win the cup its an A. If they continue to not make the playoffs its an F. What are we doing here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad