Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
The nice thing is we are freeing up $6.5m in salary and don't really need to replace the two guys; Briere and Wilson's contributions have been zero. Add Hejda in and that's $10m to replace Hejda and get started on O'Reilly/Barrie/MacK/EJ extensions.

I don't think they extend Barrie until next year. Unless ROR is totally unreasonable and wants more than 7 I can Roykic giving him the 7. EJ will happen for sure around 6-7. Mack is an interesting one after the season he had, I'm sure they fully expected to extend him, but now the question is how much? 6, 7, 7.5?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't think they extend Barrie until next year. Unless ROR is totally unreasonable and wants more than 7 I can Roykic giving him the 7. EJ will happen for sure around 6-7. Mack is an interesting one after the season he had, I'm sure they fully expected to extend him, but now the question is how much? 6, 7, 7.5?

barrie is going to break the bank if he keeps this up next year... or improves even more and/or benefits from better team and partner.

barrie is legit. lock him up before it will cost 6+ mil to do so.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
barrie is legit. lock him up before it will cost 6+ mil to do so.

It might not be in the team's hands to do so, Barrie has constantly been seeking to improve his worth before signing a longer term. That being said, I really wish they had pushed harder to get a 5+ year term contract out of him like all of his comparables were signing. We could really use one of those steals right now given the way our cap situation is going.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It might not be in the team's hands to do so, Barrie has constantly been seeking to improve his worth before signing a longer term. That being said, I really wish they had pushed harder to get a 5+ year term contract out of him like all of his comparables were signing. We could really use one of those steals right now given the way our cap situation is going.

then there's nothing avs can do if barrie/newport decide to go that way but if it's up to avs, i want him locked up this summer.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
then there's nothing avs can do if barrie/newport decide to go that way but if it's up to avs, i want him locked up this summer.

The last thing the Avs want is a Newport Nightmare in the summer of 2016 with both ROR and Barrie. Expect traction this summer.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I thought I heard a rumor the Avs pushed for a long term Barrie extension over the summer but Barrie only wanted to go short term.

I think both sides were hesitant because of his knee injury and weren't sure on his level of play coming back. Barrie's camp believed he would be fine and could be better and the Avs' camp probably wanted to see how he could play going forward. It would have been a gamble to go long term.

Either way, his defense can still be suspect at times so I don't think he gets $6M per year at this point, especially with RFA years remaining. I could see Newport going $5M per year for the remainder of his RFA years and want him to cash in as a UFA for the next contract. I don't see Barrie as much of a flight risk though nor do I see him playing quite as hardball as ROR.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Barrie should have 2 RFA years left after his current contract, it's a bridge deal. They should lock he and MacKinnon up but I don't expect it. Maybe they get MacKinnon's camp interested if they talk at least 6+ long term but don't know why his camp just wouldn't wait. They know the Avs want him long term and surely he'll bounce back next year so just wait. I only expect to get EJ signed and figure out the O'Reilly saga once and for all.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ideal situation is to get EJ, O'Reilly and Barrie all signed to long-term extensions this summer, and then only have to worry about MacKinnon in 2016.

What I think is going to happen, though, is O'Reilly gets extended. I think EJ, Barrie and MacKinnon will all wait until 2016. And if that's the case, then next season has to be another learning year IMO and I say that in terms of roster make-up. No spending on big free agents this summer, even if it means one more year of Hejda partnering up with EJ. The core guys are far too important to this team, and help is on the way with regard to prospects and (likely) more cheap European signings. The last thing this team needs heading into next season is a Brooks Orpik type of contract that almost assuredly will cost us one of Barrie/ROR, if not both.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ideal situation is to get EJ, O'Reilly and Barrie all signed to long-term extensions this summer, and then only have to worry about MacKinnon in 2016.

What I think is going to happen, though, is O'Reilly gets extended. I think EJ, Barrie and MacKinnon will all wait until 2016. And if that's the case, then next season has to be another learning year IMO and I say that in terms of roster make-up. No spending on big free agents this summer, even if it means one more year of Hejda partnering up with EJ. The core guys are far too important to this team, and help is on the way with regard to prospects and (likely) more cheap European signings. The last thing this team needs heading into next season is a Brooks Orpik type of contract that almost assuredly will cost us one of Barrie/ROR, if not both.

EJ has to be locked up before the season starts.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Its possible they could move the pick esp. if the say Provorov, Werenski, or whoever they really like is gone by then. But I say hold onto the pick and see what happens in FA. If they strike out and our prospects cant make the jump then trade next years first.

My thought was if Provorov/Werenski are gone, they could consider trading down to where they thought a more risky player like Kylington would go. Personally, though, hoping (likely in vain) Kylington keeps falling, only because at this point he won't be in the Avs first round pick range.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
he was in NHL for less than 40 games. that doesn't count as an accrued NHL season re: UFA status.

so he becomes UFA the year when he's 27 yrs old june 30th.

i'm sure you've heard of it. this is why weber was RFA back in 2012 and not UFA.

Thanks. Yeah I know of the rule (like why college FAs can burn a year off of ELC but not to UFA). Just never heard that brought up in regards to Barrie before.

So pretty much any prospect that spends more time in the minors than NHL would have that applied to them? Say Siemens for example. He would hit 27 before getting 7 accrued seasons, right.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Barrie is going to cost at least $5, if not $6 million a season. Maybe even more. EJ should be about the same. Mackinnon too. Is there room for a 7 million dollar RoR? I don't think so. And I really don't want to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad