Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I haven't seen this discussed for quite some time, but what do people think of Maatta as the centerpiece of an O'Reilly trade?

Is the Penguins' cap situation too problematic to make this work?

Honestly, for a team going all in (the Pens), I thought an O'Reilly-Maatta swap would've made a lot of sense at the deadline.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I haven't seen this discussed for quite some time, but what do people think of Maatta as the centerpiece of an O'Reilly trade?

Is the Penguins' cap situation too problematic to make this work?

Honestly, for a team going all in (the Pens), I thought an O'Reilly-Maatta swap would've made a lot of sense at the deadline.

Deadline perhaps. I don't know enough about this, but playing the devil's advocate, what would the cap situation look like for the Pens after this trade?

I would love to see a McGinn for Dumoulin swap, perhaps small adjusting pieces, though I do think McGinn was a major piece the Avs were missing this season.

EDIT: If ROR won't re-sign soon, I'd be fine shipping him out, and think Maatta is an enticing player in the return package. Don't mean to shoot that idea down, just an alternative w. the pens that popped into my head which wouldn't cost us ROR.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
wasn't he injured at the deadline? If recovers he absolutely would be a good centerpiece. I do remember a lot of fairly ... "animated" threads about a Maatta trade possibility. I think we've just not discussed it since the injury.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
wasn't he injured at the deadline? If recovers he absolutely would be a good centerpiece. I do remember a lot of fairly ... "animated" threads about a Maatta trade possibility. I think we've just not discussed it since the injury.

That's why it would've made sense at the deadline this year. Maatta can't help them when he's hurt and I'm sure a prorated O'Reilly salary could be accommodated by the Pens - at least for this season.

The Pens' cap situation is what makes this particularly difficult. I think O'Reilly would be a great addition to Crosby's wing and the Pens have tremendous depth on defense. I'm sure O'Reilly would be more than willing to extend there as well provided they can fit him into the cap. And I can't see the Avs returning a better piece than Maatta either. Maatta's injuries are a concern, but the Avs are not getting a piece back without some risk because O'Reilly is not a riskless asset either.

Maatta is pretty good when healthy, which isn't somethig that's been common for him lately.

You have to be willing to take some risk on. There's no perfect candidate given O'Reilly's situation. Maatta's injuries might lessen his value just enough to make the Pens consider moving him for O'Reilly. But if he returns healthy and stronger, then he becomes too valuable to trade for.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Despite what people here say O'Reilly is worth more than most think. Maatta and his chronic should isn't worth the risk.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Despite what people here say O'Reilly is worth more than most think. Maatta and his chronic should isn't worth the risk.

A lot people have been discussing Zadarov+ for O'Reilly. Is Zadarov really a lower risk than Maatta?

Who do you think is a more appropriate target?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A lot people have been discussing Zadarov+ for O'Reilly. Is Zadarov really a lower risk than Maatta?

I'd say Zadorov is a much higher risk even with Maatta's injury concerns. Kid has some issues and hasn't exactly been great on the ice either.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

What people? It's more of a whishful thinking from Sabers fans. If Radar gets traded it better not be for what ifs and maybies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
What people? It's more of a whishful thinking from Sabres fans. If Radar gets traded it better not be for what ifs and maybies.

Peeps on here had a pretty lengthy discussion about Zadorov +
I dont think we started it but once the Bobby Mac thing came out both fan forums talked extensively about it.

I dont want to anymore. ROR is just playing amazing now. No way

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
What people? It's more of a whishful thinking from Sabres fans. If Radar gets traded it better not be for what ifs and maybies.

I can understand that you don't like that trade (I don't either), but you can't deny it's been discussed.

If you think O'Reilly can return a better asset than Maatta (or Zadarov), I'm curious as to who.

EDIT: Obviously, I'm in the re-sign him camp. I'm highly skeptical of our ability to do so, however. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole yet - I'm more curious about peoples' reaction to a Maatta swap.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's been disscussed because it's constantly brought up by Sabers fans and they always try to convince us that it would be a good swap, I don't see Avs fans being crazy about that swap.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
It's been disscussed because it's constantly brought up by Sabres fans and they always try to convince us that it would be a good swap, I don't see Avs fans being crazy about that swap.

Of course not, but the way the situation is likely to play out, I'm not sure we're going to be able to do much better. Frankly, with the progress of Bigras and some other prospects, it might be better to target a forward in an O'Reilly trade.

You said that you think people are undervaluing what O'Reilly can return in a trade. If you think the Avs can do better than Maatta (assuming the Pens would even be up for that), I'm curious who...

EDIT: Btw, Varlamov had plenty of injury concerns when we traded for him and that worked out. Just because a player has injury concerns early in their career doesn't mean that they will continue to for the rest of it. Rob Blake had shoulder problems to - he adjusted his game and was an elite player for many years.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
The avs clearly need not 1 but 2 LD. The fact that Bigras is coming is awesome, however you can't expect him to be a top 4 defenseman his first year. One of Maatta's biggest pluses is that he has nearly 100 NHL games already so his bust potential is much lower than that of any prospect. So if we could get him as the centerpiece that would be an excellent trade. We could start him on the second pair and hope he grows into the top pairing guy by the end of the year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Of course we'd like Maatta but he doesn't come free. O'Reilly is a rare case where the only reason we'd trade him is because of contract issues. All hockey related issues there is absolutely no reason to move him. So damn right we want something substantial for him.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Of course we'd like Maatta but he doesn't come free. O'Reilly is a rare case where the only reason we'd trade him is because of contract issues. All hockey related issues there is absolutely no reason to move him. So damn right we want something substantial for him.

I'm confused by this response. Maatta doesn't come free. We want something substantial for O'Reilly. Are you saying that Maatta is the kind of return you'd like to see?

Look, the only reason I speculate on this is on the assumption we can't re-sign O'Reilly. That shouldn't have to be prefaced every time O'Reilly is mentioned especially amongst other Avs fans.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No, I understand the conversation, it's fair because we are likely to go down this path anyway. I'm just saying from a mindset point of view and considering the way O'Reilly has played lately plus given the increased hope given by Sakic that something could work out, I'm just saying folks are back to wanting something very substantial when at the trade deadline everyone was ready to take much less. Me personally, I would prefer to shop in the young NHL ready with upside aisle over other options. It just doesn't feel like enough right now. Maybe that's wrong but that's the reality right now.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

281x500

The good thing about Kuli is that he is only a year older than Barrie. He is a young guy. Still might be some growth left in him if Tourns and Foote work with him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
281x500

The good thing about Kuli is that he is only a year older than Barrie. He is a young guy. Still might be some growth left in him if Tourns and Foote work with him.

Doubt Kulikov is made available at this point.

Panthers are having a very good season, and Kulikov is a part of that success. He's had a good year for the Panthers.

Roy and Sakic need to resign ROR. Its crazy how underrated he is on these boards now. People have started underrating his On Ice game because of his Off Ice issues. Dude is one of the best 200 foot players in the league. 24 points in his past 21 games, 8 game point streak right now, only been pointless in 3/21 of those games, and since February 1st he's put up 26 in 26 games.

That's consistency. And all of this while still playing elite defense.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Doubt Kulikov is made available at this point.

Panthers are having a very good season, and Kulikov is a part of that success. He's had a good year for the Panthers.

Roy and Sakic need to resign ROR. Its crazy how underrated he is on these boards now. People have started underrating his On Ice game because of his Off Ice issues. Dude is one of the best 200 foot players in the league. 24 points in his past 21 games, 8 game point streak right now, only been pointless in 3/21 of those games, and since February 1st he's put up 26 in 26 games.

That's consistency. And all of this while still playing elite defense.

Avs fans don't want to trade. They are likely going to HAVE to trade him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It won't happen, but I often wonder how much it would help some of our young guys to have Jagr show them a thing or two.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Avs fans don't want to trade. They are likely going to HAVE to trade him.

I don't necessarily think so. The outcome and angst regarding his current contract signed last summer made sense at the time in light of two things: 1) they apparently were trying to resign Stazz and 2) MacKinnon's Crosby-esque first year.

I think they are now in a position to get something done even if it is considered an overpayment by some. They don't have to deal w/ Stazz's contract and MacKinnon may take a little longer to reach superstar payday. Even if MacK ends up requiring 12% of the cap it will likely be when Iggy and Tangs come off the books.

On ROR's side of things, Roy plays him top line minutes and he's been extremely productive with his linemates- no real need to leave unless fences were irrepairably broken in the past. Sure he's held out for more money but we have no evidence he will ask for an outlandish salary (8+ mil/year).

What will be needed if we sign him is to have a deep prospect pool by the time Iggy and Tangs are done so that we can flank the top guns w/ high potential guys on entry level / 2nd contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia