Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
It just seems that they could have done better. Maybe even just traded Horton to a team with a pick and prospect for something that doesn't hurt the team for years into the future.

Teams aren't going to take Horton. His contract isn't insured so the teams would be bleeding money just to pay the dude. The only deal a team would have made for him would be to get rid of a terrible contract of their own (Clarkson)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Can the Leafs spend it right away or do they have to wait a certain amount of time before they can officially start the LTIR retirement? Like is Horton going to bother reporting to Toronto and get treatment with them or what? When is he going to give it up?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can the Leafs spend it right away or do they have to wait a certain amount of time before they can officially start the LTIR retirement? Like is Horton going to bother reporting to Toronto and get treatment with them or what? When is he going to give it up?

I think he probably has to report to them and be consulted by team doctors etc for this not to get sketchy and teams start complaining to Bettman about it. If he just says "Well, I'm done for, I'm just gonna stay here in Columbus and "retire" without actually retiring", it IMO could raise a lot of eyebrows and force the NHL to look into it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I listened to the interview :

On if he can comment on people thinking Ryan O’Reilly is playing his last few games for the Avalanche:

“Well, I certainly could comment on that. Every night I’ve been using him a lot. Yes, I use him on important faceoffs, penalty killing, power play, 5-on-5, against top lines. I’m having a lot of trust in him. I’d be very surprised if we do a trade with Ryan O’Reilly.

“The contract dispute to me is just the business side. For me as a coach, I push that aside. It’s not even important. Even for Joe, we’re not making a big deal out of that. I know that it seems to be a big deal, but obviously when you see a guy like him becoming UFA at the end of next year... it forced Joe to look into it. But it’s not in our intention to move Ryan O’Reilly. Actually, we’d love to see Ryan O’Reilly be an Avalanche for a long time. Joe has spoke to his agent a bit in the last few days and yes we’d like to have Ryan signing a long-term deal.

“... It’s a tough business. Gretzky’s been traded. I’ve been traded. Trades are always part of – unfortunately they are part of the game. But I don’t see how we could trade a guy like him right now, quite honestly. He’s part of the core of the team. We like him a lot. That line’s been playing really well. We’re very happy with that. Even if we don’t have the season that we want, we like the core of this team. We believe in the core of this team and I don’t see us making huge change in the core of our team.â€​

I don't think Patrick is lying at all but this could be seen as posturing. I get that it's a business and all that but at the same time, it IS a big deal. If Joe has been talking to his agent in the last few days, he must have an idea if there is at least INTEREST in signing long-term. If there is, then fine...you can then work on a number for years and salary but if they are non-committal, I'd be negotiating with other teams as we speak. It's irresponsible not to be otherwise.

I do have a feeling there is something going on though. It's pretty quiet...too quiet. Zadorov scratched for a 3rd game in a row?? Sounds pretty extreme for a young player who made a mistake. Usually 1-2 games would be the max for that kind of thing and it's not like the Sabres are going anywhere...he's a young guy, he needs to play. Unless it serves their purpose he doesn't right now.

I think it would take a huge deal but I wouldn't put it past Tim Murray to offer it to the Avs. Then the Avs could just say that "after speaking to the agent, it became clear that they weren't interested in a long-term contract so we decided to make this move for the future" or something like that.

If Joe has been speaking to his agent, and the agent gives him the old "We're not talking until next summer" business, then you ship him out of here asap. For the insiders to have said they don't expect a trade by the deadline, I think we might be in for a surprise. Having Sakic speak to the agent will give both he and Roy a great idea as to where they stand at the moment, and whether or not they've changed their stance from "wait until the summer" to "We can talk now, here are our terms".

I'm not holding out hope for O'Reilly, I've avoided buying his jersey the last 3 years because I'm certain he's going to get traded soon, and I appreciate the effort Roy is putting into this to keep O'Reilly around, but I think we may be surprised on deadline day. I think he goes then

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
If Joe has been speaking to his agent, and the agent gives him the old "We're not talking until next summer" business, then you ship him out of here asap. For the insiders to have said they don't expect a trade by the deadline, I think we might be in for a surprise. Having Sakic speak to the agent will give both he and Roy a great idea as to where they stand at the moment, and whether or not they've changed their stance from "wait until the summer" to "We can talk now, here are our terms".

I'm not holding out hope for O'Reilly, I've avoided buying his jersey the last 3 years because I'm certain he's going to get traded soon, and I appreciate the effort Roy is putting into this to keep O'Reilly around, but I think we may be surprised on deadline day. I think he goes then

Anything can happen, but I think it would have to be quite a haul for Roy to give up on possibly re-signing O'Reilly in the summer.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anything can happen, but I think it would have to be quite a haul for Roy to give up on possibly re-signing O'Reilly in the summer.

He better not even make it past the draft. If he does, it's Stastny 2.0 and we're going to either lose him for nothing in 2016, or we're going to recuperate something like a 2nd round pick + prospect at the trade deadline since every team will know he's leaving us

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He better not even make it past the draft. If he does, it's Stastny 2.0 and we're going to either lose him for nothing in 2016, or we're going to recuperate something like a 2nd round pick + prospect at the trade deadline since every team will know he's leaving us

it would be a disaster, with staz there were at least some mitigating circumstances; with ROR there are none. zero. 'm not sure if i would put draft as the deadline date but first week of july, before teams get their roster's set, he better be gone.

but we would get more than that, though. everyone knew sekera was leaving and he got more. not that it would make it acceptable.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl

They can't re-sign him prior the draft. They can from July 1st, so if he past the draft it means nothing. If they don't re-sign him in off-season, they should trade him then, just before start of the season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
They can't re-sign him prior the draft. They can from July 1st, so if he past the draft it means nothing. If they don't re-sign him in off-season, they should trade him then, just before start of the season.

most rosters are set just before start of the season. it's pretty rare for big trades to happen then.

preferably he gets dealt before FA (they can talk to his agent before and basically agree to an extension, just can't sign the papers) when all teams have more cap space.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Meh. Not really. Monday and the draft are the two days where they really have to look into trading him.

The draft is maybe 4-5 days before July 1st.
He can not officially sign an extension but he can easily agree to one in principle. Letang and a few others did just that. If negotiations fail again, there is also no reason to keep him around any longer. Just get it over with at that point.

Trading him on July 1st might be a bit too late IMO.
The UFA class is rather weak but GMs will always spend on July 1st.

So the number of teams that can afford ROR will decrease by a fair amount on July 1st. That could impact the potential return.

I wouldn't want to take that gamble.
The draft should be his last day as an Avalanche if he does not sign an extension.

If we get a 1st in return as part of a package, I would also very much prefer a 2015 1st over a 2016 1st.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
They didn't ignore that. They just assumed the career-ending injury would be from the Shoulder, not back.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=98076115&postcount=252

Dumb move by Columbus. You never know what can happen in a year.

Why opt out of insurance for the rest of his body the 1st year just to save insurance on that 1st year.. when you sign him to a 7 YEAR contract?

It would of cost them ~1 million dollars to insure the rest of his body, far less then the 37.1 million dollars they would be paying him over 7 years.

As for Toronto, I'm sure they'll sign hometown boy Chris Stewart July 1st to a 7 year 5 million dollar contract... rinse and repeat

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i like jarmo and he's done real nice things in finland and with blues (and i think with sens) but they ****ed up bad here. real bad. they started the talks. they were after clarkson, it wasn't leafs offering clarkson.

i can't believe they did this. even if/as they have trouble with the money being smaller market team, they have lot of money tied up on contracts that most likely won't be worth it. and not just clarkson deal.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
i like jarmo and he's done real nice things in finland and with blues (and i think with sens) but they ****ed up bad here. real bad. they started the talks. they were after clarkson, it wasn't leafs offering clarkson.

i can't believe they did this. even if/as they have trouble with the money being smaller market team, they have lot of money tied up on contracts that most likely won't be worth it. and not just clarkson deal.

They did this because they prefer to pay the guy money he probably doesn't deserve (Clarkson) than pay the guy who probably won't play another game in NHL. Clarkson even bad overpaid is better for team like Columbus than injured Horton. If Clarkson scores just one goal (I think in Columbus he can scores 10+) he is better than Horton who would probably finish his Jackets career with 0 goals in next 5 years. Leafs used the fact they are rich and can pay over 22 millions in next 5 years for the guy who will sit at home. Jackets are not that rich so, they prefer to overpay Clarkson but use him on the ice.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
They did this because they prefer to pay the guy money he probably doesn't deserve (Clarkson) than pay the guy who probably won't play another game in NHL. Clarkson even bad overpaid is better for team like Columbus than injured Horton. If Clarkson scores just one goal (I think in Columbus he can scores 10+) he is better than Horton who would probably finish his Jackets career with 0 goals in next 5 years. Leafs used the fact they are rich and can pay over 22 millions in next 5 years for the guy who will sit at home. Jackets are not that rich so, they prefer to overpay Clarkson but use him on the ice.

yes, but they could've gotten something more or better in return. they asked for clarkson. maybe their financial situation is that bad that they can't handle it and ownership pushed for the deal but that's on them.

clarkson will also take a roster spot and i'm not so sure if he's anything more than 4th liner in few years.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
yes, but they could've gotten something more or better in return. they asked for clarkson. maybe their financial situation is that bad that they can't handle it and ownership pushed for the deal but that's on them.

clarkson will also take a roster spot and i'm not so sure if he's anything more than 4th liner in few years.

Do you think that there are organizations in NHL that would pay the guy 26,1 millions that left on his contract just to sit and watch TV and added something to it? I don't think so. Unless miracle happens Horton is done. His back is in awful condition, so awful that he battles not to come back on ice but to live normal life. Probably even if he wins that battle he won't risk his health.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'd like to hear Roy talk about fixing the defense and how they are planning to do it, or Roy still thinks he has a good d core?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'd like to hear Roy talk about fixing the defense and how they are planning to do it, or Roy still thinks he has a good d core?

I'd like to go one day without the incessant nagging that goes on here...

Looks like we're both not getting what we want.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yup. Well it depends on what we're giving up.

Given how long they have been trying to dump that contract, it probably isn't much.

If they take on Stuart or another lengthy contract with a big salary on it. I'd be interested in Semin, but probably not a great fit in Colorado with out cap situation.

They wouldn't do that if they were retaining salary. If you want a Stuart/Semin swap, the teams would take on the whole contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad