Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would be shocked if Gio hasn't signed an extension at that point.
Burke / Treliving are not that dumb.
They are not gonna trade their captain and veteran leader who still has 3-5 quality years left at least. They will pay him. And there is no reason why Giordano would want out.

I think we see this situation play out the same way all the time. Pending UFA on a rebuilding team says all the right things, and fans think he may re-sign, then the team trades him at some point because they know that's not really in the cards.

Maybe he re-signs, but I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't look to sign with a club that's closer to a cup, or further down the line in their rebuild.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think we see this situation play out the same way all the time. Pending UFA on a rebuilding team says all the right things, and fans think he may re-sign, then the team trades him at some point because they know that's not really in the cards.

Maybe he re-signs, but I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't look to sign with a club that's closer to a cup, or further down the line in their rebuild.

That would probably rule out the Avs anyways. At least from his perspective.

I would be willing to bet on that one.

There is just no way that captain Giordano goes ringchasing at the age of 31 / 32.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's funny that everyone knows the Clarkson-Horton deal was done to circumvent the cap, but Bettman has no problem with it. They threw a crazy contract at Clarkson, and then essentially traded $26M in cash (Horton's remaining contract) to CBJ for them to take Clarkson's cap hit off their hands.

That's only something that a handful of super rich owners can do. Kinda what Bettman canceled 1.5 years of hockey to prevent.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't have an issue with it. Both teams handed out incredibly stupid contracts and then traded them for each other. Just works out in the Leafs favour because of the injury.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think it's funny that everyone knows the Clarkson-Horton deal was done to circumvent the cap, but Bettman has no problem with it. They threw a crazy contract at Clarkson, and then essentially traded $26M in cash (Horton's remaining contract) to CBJ for them to take Clarkson's cap hit off their hands.

That's only something that a handful of super rich owners can do. Kinda what Bettman canceled 1.5 years of hockey to prevent.

there is no rule against it atm. there might be in the future.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
there is no rule against it atm. there might be in the future.

I know, I'm just saying I think it's funny that Bettman left this option open for teams to circumvent the cap. An option that only a rich team like Toronto can use.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Bettman didn't cancel 1.5 years of hockey to make it an even playing field or anything like that. He canceled 1.5 years of hockey to put more money in owners pockets.

Also, it's the Leafs. You really think he is going to stand in the way of the most powerful organization in hockey. Doubt it very much.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That would probably rule out the Avs anyways. At least in his perspective.

I would be willing to bet on that one.

There is just no way that captain Giordano goes ringchasiing at the age of 31 / 32.

If he's looking at this season by itself it certainly might, but if they have a good season next year, it could change things. I think Iggy and Tangs have some pretty good drawing power too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bettman didn't cancel 1.5 years of hockey to make it an even playing field or anything like that. He canceled 1.5 years of hockey to put more money in owners pockets.

Also, it's the Leafs. You really think he is going to stand in the way of the most powerful organization in hockey. Doubt it very much.

That's kinda what I'm getting at. His "reason" for the lockout was nonsense. He took the game away from the fans and the players, to rig the system and essentially guarantee the owners make money. He doesn't care about a competitive advantage for all teams. He only cares about making the owners money. That's why they all love him.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
I don't see Gio going anywhere, seems like he loves the team, and they clearly love him there, he's only 31 and Calgary is on the upswing, maybe he'll go for a cup later on in his career but Calgary has the makings of a very strong team with time.
I'm just thankful the rumors of Vermette to Avs have stopped.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I don't see Gio going anywhere, seems like he loves the team, and they clearly love him there, he's only 31 and Calgary is on the upswing, maybe he'll go for a cup later on in his career but Calgary has the makings of a very strong team with time.
I'm just thankful the rumors of Vermette to Avs have stopped.
\

That may not be a good thing *shifty eyes* It's quiet, too quiet.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't expect any Avs trades until Sunday/Monday. They have a back to back and no spare players with the team except Carey/Briere.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 2m2 minutes ago
The Friday night before the deadline. Historically the best time in the news cycle to bury an unpopular move.. Be thee warned hockey world!

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Don't worry we don't have the assets to outbid CHI/BOS for Vermette anyway.

We don't have anything really, unless we want to sell off draft picks for old and/or scrubby players. They're not stupid enough to trade away Bigras, Bleackley or Geertsen either. At least I hope not.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to move our terrible prospects in LE for other terrible but different prospects or anything like that all year long, considering Roy hates the farm team and everyone on it :laugh:.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Let all the rentals go to Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles. They aren't going to have money to re-sign any of them anyways, so more free agents to look at

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Interesting list, and further proof of how stupid Boston was when dealing with Tyler Seguin.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/706853

People need to quit with the "he just wasn't a good fit" argument. Players that good are always a 'good fit' on your team, and if they're not, then you need to tweak the team until he is.

Nice to see Duchene and Landeskog as honourable mentions.

But yeah, that was an atrocious trade made by the Bruins. So what he parties too much, so does Patrick Kane, look how he's turned out for the Blackhawks.

The Bruins tried to turn him into something he's not. Always shuffling him around the line-up, not playing him at his natural position even though he's clearly much, much better than Krejci. Just didn't make sense to me how they handled him. But I'm glad they traded him, because even though I love to make fun of the Leafs, I can at least tolerate them. I HATE the Bruins and everything they stand for, I'm happy they lost this trade handily

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nice to see Duchene and Landeskog as honourable mentions.

But yeah, that was an atrocious trade made by the Bruins. So what he parties too much, so does Patrick Kane, look how he's turned out for the Blackhawks.

The Bruins tried to turn him into something he's not. Always shuffling him around the line-up, not playing him at his natural position even though he's clearly much, much better than Krejci. Just didn't make sense to me how they handled him. But I'm glad they traded him, because even though I love to make fun of the Leafs, I can at least tolerate them. I HATE the Bruins and everything they stand for, I'm happy they lost this trade handily

As someone aptly pointed out on Twitter, the B's had a choice to either unload a wildly talented player with off-ice issues or keep an overpaid, overrated grinder with on-ice issues. They chose the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00