Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How could we get Sekera fairly easily? There are going to be plenty of teams who will want his services. Giving up ROR is a huge no for him, but they would almost assuredly ask for our 1st round pick.

I'm not comfortable giving up Bleackley or Bigras, and would only give up our 1st round pick if the right deal came along. That said, I think that there are other teams who would gladly give up their 1st round pick and then some for Sekera, like Los Angeles, even though I don't think they'll get him. But teams with a good prospect pool will have no trouble giving the Canes what they want in terms of futures. We don't have that luxury

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Does Meyers normally get that much ice time? Or was he getting shown off to the scouts?

Well he's averaging 25:17, and he's had a fair amount of games with 27+ this year. These also were their last two games before the All Star break, so he'll have plenty of time to rest. I don't think it was just to showcase him. I think he's just really important to the stability of their defensive zone.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474574&season=20142015&view=log

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Zadorov was recently a healthy scratch too. I think sometimes you just put a young defenseman in the press box to look at things a little differently.

Are trades allowed over the all-star break? That's really the only gap in games for any of these teams coming up.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Zadorov was recently a healthy scratch too. I think sometimes you just put a young defenseman in the press box to look at things a little differently.

Are trades allowed over the all-star break? That's really the only gap in games for any of these teams coming up.

There's no official trade freeze during the All Star break, but the league really doesn't like big trades going down because it can overshadow the event with the media focused more on the trade. There have been the occasional trades that have happened though. Brendan Morrison was traded a couple years ago during the break for a minor league jouneyman.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What's the league mandated break? I know we are off Thurs-Mon but I think the true break is 3 days?

Thur-Sun for everyone. Avs and Sabres both play on Tuesday, so if they do happen to make a trade, maybe they finalize something over the weekend, and announce it on Monday?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe depends how these next two games go :laugh:

I'll tell you one thing, the idea of MacKinnon going back to figuring out how to play center is not very appealing right now. This year at least with the playoffs possibly within reach.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I still have no idea how much stock to put into this Garth guy from Hockeybuzz and his article, but I did enjoy this part and hope that is truly the case...

The Avs are looking for a puck mover who can either skate the puck out of his own end of the rink or one that can make slick seven foot, crisp passes to the blades of breaking out forwards Landeskog, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, et al. The Avs are trouble breaking the puck out of their own zone because the scouting report tells their opponents to get puck deep and to be physical with the Avs D. Colorado's D can't exit their zone cleanly and its putting a ton of pressure on their rear guards and goaltenders. The Their forwards are spending too much time in their own end fighting with enemy fore checkers to get the puck back after turnovers. Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic have seen enough of the madness. They need a D who can act as a human eraser and mitigate such habitual mistakes.
Having top flight forwards is kind of wasted if they're spending too much time in their own end because they don't have enough defensemen to get them the puck.

member 116861

Reading that quote feels so good. Sometimes it feels like only HF understands that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still have no idea how much stock to put into this Garth guy from Hockeybuzz and his article, but I did enjoy this part and hope that is truly the case...

Having top flight forwards is kind of wasted if they're spending too much time in their own end because they don't have enough defensemen to get them the puck.

I think they definitely would like a D man with puck mobility in a ROR trade (as they should), but I think it's also clear they want one that can play defense. If it were just about puck mobility they would have done a ROR-Gardiner deal a long time ago.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I'll tell you one thing, the idea of MacKinnon going back to figuring out how to play center is not very appealing right now. This year at least with the playoffs possibly within reach.

I agree with that, however if the right deal is in place for ROR, we could always bring up one of Hishon/Sgarbossa for our 3rd line and play Mitchell with Mackinnon...while not optimal obviously, Mitchell is good enough to shelter Mack for a bit until he gets better at C.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
If this deal is centered around Myers I won't be disappointed. Obviously we would want a little more and perhaps we throw in a little more to get something quite good coming back with Myers. If we were able to get Foligno or Lemieux that would be incredible.

Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Foligno
Everberg - Mitchell - Talbot
McLeod - Cliche - Briere

Hejda - EJ
Myers - Barrie
Stuart - Redmond

Obviously that's the lineup that could happen now, not fully healthy with McGinn, Winchester, and Bordeleau out. There is a hole in the top 6 that would need to be addressed this summer. And with Bigras, Siemens, or a FA D coming in, that's a D corps I can live with and feel comfortable with.

Off topic. But what was the site mentioned a little bit ago that was similar to capgeek. It's not nhlnumbers but I forgot.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I love how TMV keeps asking if anybody knows anything about this guy Garth but it keeps getting avoided and we consider talking about this like it's Bob Mac or Elliotte :laugh:

As for Myers, I watched about 40-50 of his games last season and thought he was amazing. This year i've seen about 10-15 and they were a little worse than last year but still good however that was early in the year. Funny since most people said he sucked last year but I guess that's just how I saw it. Either way I want him bad.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It's been mentioned he is the Sabres blogger on hockeybuzz.

I think everyone is taking it as speculation, but it is an odd coincidence that Kypreos mentions the Sabres are interested in O'Reilly, and the Avs have 3 scouts in Buffalo on a night when Myers plays almost 28 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad