Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Myers and Grigorenko have the size and potential the Avs may want/need. However, they don't use that size and aren't living up to that potential. Myers has flashes of great play but he's still too inconsistent for my liking.

I'm sure we were saying the same thing about EJ right after the trade . Look what the Avs did with EJ , the Avs can turn Myers game arround too .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I want Grigorenko coming back. He's another guy who respects Roy and it's another Russian to add to the team to help convince Radu to come back :)

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Hodgson, Stewart, and Stafford?!?

These are bad hockey players getting paid way too much.

Hodgson is a decent second line scorer making way too much money.

The other two are impending UFA's who are a heck of a lot better than whomever the Avalanche would call up at forward in the absence of O'Reilly.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
LOL @ the main O'Reilly trade thread on the Trade Forum...

Apparently the Avs fans posting in there must've gotten through to the Leafs fans about absolutely not wanting Gardiner so now they've moved on to telling the Avs fans in that thread ALL about Franson and how he's so good.

Absolutely insufferable.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
LOL @ the main O'Reilly trade thread on the Trade Forum...

Apparently the Avs fans posting in there must've gotten through to the Leafs fans about absolutely not wanting Gardiner so now they've moved on to telling the Avs fans in that thread ALL about Franson and how he's so good.

Absolutely insufferable.

Like I said before some in their fan base have reached a new level when it comes to perceived value of their own players. They will literally argue themselves in a circle if you keep them going long enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I watched the last two Sabres games. Both losses on back to back nights, including tonight against the Wings where they blew a 3-0 lead and lost 6-4.

Good news for any potential Myers trade is I didn't really see any bad play from him. If there were extra Avs scouts at the game last night against Philly, I'd imagine they came away with some good things to say. The Sabres didn't appear to be matching him against anyone in specific with last change against the Flyers, which is interesting. He saw a good amount of time against the Giroux and Voracek line. He also saw time against Couturier a lot and also Raffl and Simmonds. Just seemed like they were trying to get him out there all the time, and it showed with his 27:33 in ice time. Against the Wings though, they seemed to be matching him all the time against the Zetterberg line, and he finished with 29:07. This might not look good if you just looked at the scoresheet and saw Z got a hat trick, but I think Myers was only on the ice for two of those, and neither were his fault. Which is something that I think is clearly holding him back this season, especially offensively on the rush, that being the play of his teammates being abysmal.

Didn't really display anything overly flashy, but very solid in his own end. Uses his long reach very well. Skates the puck out of his zone well and confidently, and when he doesn't have room he'll make a nice chip, though he doesn't have to do this too often. Doesn't really make any overly risky plays anywhere on the ice. Good outlet pass, though every once in a while the pass will be off the mark. No mobility problems in any direction that I saw, and he's got a very good gap on forwards, and angles them off along the boards well. Strong in front of his net, and asserts himself physically a lot more than I remember him doing. Isn't Big Buff out there, but he leans on guys, gives them hard shoves against the glass in his board battles, gives fairly strong cross checks. He definitely used his size well, at least in these last two games. Even took a roughing penalty against the Wings because he was battling a guy in front of the net and tried to give him a forearm shiver to the back, but it rode up and hit him in the head. Really didn't see any mistakes from him, apart from a couple pinches where he didn't get the puck, but he was backed up well and it didn't hurt them.

The thing I worry about though is whether this is his peak, or whether he's perhaps trying to showcase himself a bit maybe knowing scouts are watching? At his $5.5M cap hit, I'd like to see a bit more. I'd like to see him engaged in the offensive zone a bit more, though he makes good plays when he does, and he's got a great wrister. I'd also like to see him kind of take over the game a bit more, though you can see him kind of scratching that surface every once in a while. If he doesn't improve much above this level though, I don't like him at that cap hit really, since there's only so many $5M+ defenseman you can ice on your blueline.

He certainly does seem like a very similar project to EJ though in that I think he just needs some confidence to carry the puck and be aggressive in transition more often. I'm not really worried about his D zone play, just like I never was with EJ. If Roy and Tourigny did well to help EJ's confidence, maybe they can do the same with Myers.

Also, don't really like the idea of him potentially paired with Barrie. I don't really care if they played well together in junior, I never like the idea of pairing two guys you want offense out of together. Except for the way Roy does it to come back late in games. Having Barrie carry the puck all the time will just force Myers to sit back, and while he can play well in that role, that's not what you want him doing most of the night at $5.5M. I don't think you build Myers confidence to be more aggressive offensively by pairing him with a guy that isn't very strong defensively if he has to cover for him either. Right now Myers is playing very well, and he's doing it with a steady stay at home presence in Gorges. They should look to do the same with Stuart, if he's brought in, and have Barrie stick with Guenin.

It's not one of my favorite options for a D man in a ROR trade, but if they can somehow structure it to get Lemieux without giving up Barrie or something else good, I'd probably be all for it. They just need a gritty in your face winger like Lemieux so bad. A Downie/Marchand/Shaw type that can spark the Avs, and get the opposition distracted by getting under their skin, along with the ability to play good hockey and produce offensively.

Maybe ROR+Siemens+Hishon/Holden for Myers + Lemieux? Not sure the Sabres want to part with Lemieux though that's the problem. I think they're probably pretty high on him after having a good offensive year in junior this season.

Last edited:

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I'd rather have Franson over Gardiner, but not at the expense of O'Reilly.

I went over looking at the Sabres board to look for any speculation, seems some people there think Ennis is better than RoR, no wonder they're lowballing us on O'Reilly.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks foor the observations, Foppa. Anything else from anyone in the game they might be looking at Zadorov? Is Hodgson as bad as people say?

Well, didn't watch the game but Hodgson definitely is as bad as people say :laugh: His skating is downright atrocious.

Would love me some Tyler Myers though. Don't know why people rag on him so much. Remember he's still only 24 years old, and I have never seen a defender as big as him have his mobility. He can get up and down the ice with ease.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Thanks foor the observations, Foppa. Anything else from anyone in the game they might be looking at Zadorov? Is Hodgson as bad as people say?

To be honest, I was really only focusing on Myers and his shifts. Wouldn't feel comfortable saying much about the other two. Zadorov looks aggressive phsycially, but seems a little raw. Felt like I saw him having more trouble in his end than Myers. Pretty much everyone had trouble in their own end at different times, except for Myers, which I think is fairly telling.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I saw Myers a lot at the WC because I watched all of MacKinnon's games there. He did look like an awkward giraffe a bit there, someone who wasn't all in control of his size. I understand he's shown improvement this season and has been solid for Buffalo (I guess as much as one can be on that team) so I have an open mind.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
To be honest, I was really only focusing on Myers and his shifts. Wouldn't feel comfortable saying much about the other two. Zadorov looks aggressive phsycially, but seems a little raw. Felt like I saw him having more trouble in his end than Myers. Pretty much everyone had trouble in their own end at different times, except for Myers, which I think is fairly telling.

I agree Myers looks a little more polished and he should he has 5 more seasons under his belt. But I think Zadorov is a much better fit as a partner for Barrie or potentially EJ if his game continues to evolve.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My vote is still on getting Sekera at the deadline, and its not even close.

We can get him without giving up ROR, or a Top 14 1st IMO. I'm also extremely confident that if we added Sekera to our Defense without giving up any roster pieces, we'd be playing hockey in May month again.

I also think we should be able to resign him fairly easily. We have the cap space, and can guarantee him Top 4(Probably even Top 2) minutes for 5-6 years that he's here. Plus we can pay him 5.5-6M a year during that course of time. Were a young team with good players in every position, and having him as well would put us in pretty good shape to push for a cup in the next 2-3 years.

It would also put us in a position to move ROR at the draft for a 1st++ from a team if we wanted to pick in the 1st round still, and it gives us all of summer to find a replacement for ROR.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I saw Myers a lot at the WC because I watched all of MacKinnon's games there. He did look like an awkward giraffe a bit there, someone who wasn't all in control of his size. I understand he's shown improvement this season and has been solid for Buffalo (I guess as much as one can be on that team) so I have an open mind.

I thought he looked pretty balanced on his skates out there, and he wasn't really in positions where he might get caught off guard either. He's got a bit of that giraffe look when he skates or coasts, but so does EJ every once in a while. I can't tell whether I think Myers coasts too much though, or if that's ok for him. I'd like to see more of him in that regard. I liked his lateral mobility and ability to pivot skating backward more than EJ actually. That isn't always EJ's strong suit, though he's gotten better. Movements seem more natural for Myers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad