Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
More Trade Forum gold...

Did you know that we can get Reilly in an O'Reilly deal if we "throw in" MacKinnon? Don't worry though, the Leafs fan that said that said that they could "add a 3rd or 4th to balance it out."

:facepalm:

The amount of stupidity....

***EDIT***

I could be misinterpreting it, but in a thread about O'Reilly, I don't believe I am

take pity on the poor laughs fans. they have so little

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
More Trade Forum gold...

Did you know that we can get Reilly in an O'Reilly deal if we "throw in" MacKinnon? Don't worry though, the Leafs fan that said that said that they could "add a 3rd or 4th to balance it out."

:facepalm:

The amount of stupidity....

The explanation is here.

When the best skater your team has drafted in 15 years is Alexander Steen, it tends to distort how prospects are viewed. The best player they drafted was Rask, but they traded him for Raycroft.

We're dealing with a fanbase that's suffered significant abuse and have to take it easy on them when they're acting out.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Nothing ground breaking, and probably just speculation:

On Saturday night, Ryan O'Reilly's came up in chatter regarding the Maple Leafs. Frankly, the Leafs don't have the type of defenseman that the Colorado Avalanche are looking to acquire in exchange for O'Reilly. The Avs are a three man D unit right now with role players being mixed and matched into the top six. Their only true top four D-man is Erik Johnson who will play in next week's NHL ALL Star Game in Columbus. Tyson Barrie and Jan Hejda are nice players, but neither are top unit quality. The Avs are looking for a puck mover who can either skate the puck out of his own end of the rink or one that can make slick seven foot, crisp passes to the blades of breaking out forwards Landeskog, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, et al. The Avs are trouble breaking the puck out of their own zone because the scouting report tells their opponents to get puck deep and to be physical with the Avs D. Colorado's D can't exit their zone cleanly and its putting a ton of pressure on their rear guards and goaltenders. The Their forwards are spending too much time in their own end fighting with enemy fore checkers to get the puck back after turnovers. Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic have seen enough of the madness. They need a D who can act as a human eraser and mitigate such habitual mistakes.

The Leafs don't have a player of this ilk in their present D corps. The Avs are not going to trade a Selke forward for a average D-man. They aren't looking to add a 5th or 6th D. They want a top pair D who's very presence in the lineup can tilt the ice in his team's favor. These types of D are hard to find because they are all locked up to long tem deals. All the great ones are taken. The Avs can't trade for Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Marc Staal, Alex Pietrangelo and Brent Seabrook. For that reason, they have set their sights on the sub-prime market, or, the next rung below the greatest of the greats. Say, Buffalo's Tyler Myers, who is young, proficient, experienced and he checks all of the aforementioned boxes.

Roy and Sakic are not looking to trade O'Reilly. Tim Murray isn't "trying" (his word) to trade Tyler Myers. However, if the right deal is offered to them, they will definitely have an appetite to give it serious consideration. If a legitimate, blow-your-sox-off-offer is made for O'Reilly (and there will be a couple of them in the near future), then its the job of the GM to act in the best interest of improving his team moving forward. If that means trading a valuable asset for another, more valuable asset that solves an issue on your roster and in your room, then you make the deal. Its that simple. Gone are the days when NHL GMs make trades for the sake of making trades.

The Colorado Avalanche watched Myers in Buffalo on Saturday night and he didn't disappoint them. Myers dominated every inch of the 200 by 85 in his 27:33 TOI. He routinely was in the Philly crease when scores were being scored or the ref was blowing the whistle. Myers has been charging down the ice with a sense of purpose in recent games and its great to see. He's been a one man break out machine. That's why the Avalanche and Red Wings are seriously interested in acquiring him. Myers can make a lot of little mistakes go away when he's in your lineup.

Garth from Hockeybuzz

Here is a little more:

The Avs usually send a scout to every Buffalo home game. Tonight, there are three Colorado representatives scheduled to watch the Sabres play the Flyers. The assistant director of player personnel and two scouts will be here tonight presumably to watch Buffalo's Tyler Myers play. Trust me when I tell you that the Avs didn't send three men to Buffalo to watch the Flyers ' patchwork quilt of a beat up blue line.

The Avs are in dire straits these days and their blue line, or lack thereof, is a major reason why.

Patrick Roy's forwards and D have been having habitual problems breaking the puck out of their zone cleanly. Erik Johnson and Jan Hejda have been pulling down 24 and 21 minutes TOI per game respectively, however, Tyson Barrie and Brad Stuart are playing 20 minutes apiece.

Roy needs a true top pair D that would allow him to slide Hejda down to his second unit. The Avs are also looking for a right handed D. Tyler Myers fits that bill to a tee. Myers averages 25+ minutes TOI per game and he's the right that so many teams are desperately seeking.

So, could Tim Murray land O'Reilly for Myers, straight up? No. Its going to take some sweetening on Murray's part. I would not be surprised if Mikhail Grigorenko, and center, was included in a deal with Myers for ROR

-Garth

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
That is actually a thoughtful response to what the Avs are looking for by Garth. We aren't just looking for a puck mover. Refreshing.

If the Avs add Myers, then they can play EJ and Myers on separate pairs. Which covers 90% of the game.

That is one thing I have been trying to tell people. EJ doesn't need help, the other 2 pairing do. EJ is a good enough player to carry his partner. Play EJ with Hejda or Stuart, then play Barrie with Myers.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't know who Garth is but that was pretty much on the spot, except for the part about needing a right handed shot on defense. I don't mind getting another right shot, but a left shot would be preferred.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If the Sabres were to trade Myers it would all but guarantee a last place finish.

Remember when we traded Anderson. Seems similar.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why would they be looking for RD?

Thanks Avs71, that was a good read. Even if speculation, makes sense. Isn't that guy pretty clued into Buffalo at least? Myers+ doesn't sound bad to me, I at least like where they are thinking and no big + from us.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
That is actually a thoughtful response to what the Avs are looking for by Garth. We aren't just looking for a puck mover. Refreshing.

If the Avs add Myers, then they can play EJ and Myers on separate pairs. Which covers 90% of the game.

That is one thing I have been trying to tell people. EJ doesn't need help, the other 2 pairing do. EJ is a good enough player to carry his partner. Play EJ with Hejda or Stuart, then play Barrie with Myers.

I honestly think this would be one of the best case scenarios. ROR for Myers.

Like you said, EJ can carry that top pairing, which allows Myers to play around 21 minutes against weaker competition. We have seen what Tourigny and Roy have done with Barrie and EJ (AKA the talented defencemen). There is no reason to think they can't get the best out of Myers.

-O'Reilly is shipped out East to a team where he will probably be given everything he wants (leadership role, long term deal, play Center, etc). The Avs will face him once or twice a season, and that is it.

-Myers and Barrie played together in Kelowna.

-He is 6'8 and mobile. Has never averaged less than 21 minutes a game for a whole season. Career high of 48 points already. He screams perfect reclamation project. He's locked up at 5.5 million. I would love to take a gamble on him. He's playing a ton of minutes this season too, more than EJ.

-With the way Roy rotates defencemen in the last period of the game, the Avs could be throwing out Myers-EJ, Barrie-EJ, Barrie-Myers almost non-stop.

Hejda-Johnson
Barrie-Myers
Stuart-Redmond

looks like a legit defence group.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Maybe if they are high on a Bigras LD isn't as critical as in absolutely needing to get one on that side.

Sounds good Avs71, I think that's a decent scenario.

Interesting Myers played 27 minutes last night. Maybe just a coincidence. But they knew who was there.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If one of Barrie or Myers could be a longterm solution at LHD, I would be absolutely on board with that deal.

He seems to have turned around his game for the better and having two huge quality defensemen would be very nice to have going forward.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I honestly think this would be one of the best case scenarios. ROR for Myers.

Like you said, EJ can carry that top pairing, which allows Myers to play around 21 minutes against weaker competition. We have seen what Tourigny and Roy have done with Barrie and EJ (AKA the talented defencemen). There is no reason to think they can't get the best out of Myers.

-O'Reilly is shipped out East to a team where he will probably be given everything he wants (leadership role, long term deal, play Center, etc). The Avs will face him once or twice a season, and that is it.

-Myers and Barrie played together in Kelowna.

-He is 6'8 and mobile. Has never averaged less than 21 minutes a game for a whole season. Career high of 48 points already. He screams perfect reclamation project. He's locked up at 5.5 million. I would love to take a gamble on him. He's playing a ton of minutes this season too, more than EJ.

-With the way Roy rotates defencemen in the last period of the game, the Avs could be throwing out Myers-EJ, Barrie-EJ, Barrie-Myers almost non-stop.

Hejda-Johnson
Barrie-Myers
Stuart-Redmond

looks like a legit defence group.

Agreed. Next year you add Bigras and possibly even Siemens to this mix. Defense problems could be solved.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Oh I'd say he does. EJ is playing dominant hockey right now but he and Hejda do not form a dominant pairing. EJ by himself is not good enough to shut down the opposition's best, and really he shouldn't have to. Put another legit guy on his pairing and you'll see that pairing take over games.

But whatever the case, I think we can all agree the end goal needs to be a solid top four, and a third pairing that isn't a tire fire. Whether Myers is the answer, I don't know, but he sure as hell will cost a LOT to get.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Oh I'd say he does. EJ is playing dominant hockey right now but he and Hejda do not form a dominant pairing. EJ by himself is not good enough to shut down the opposition's best, and really he shouldn't have to. Put another legit guy on his pairing and you'll see that pairing take over games.

But whatever the case, I think we can all agree the end goal needs to be a solid top four, and a third pairing that isn't a tire fire. Whether Myers is the answer, I don't know, but he sure as hell will cost a LOT to get.

But if you trade your #1 asset for a LH defender to play next to EJ, then you aren't gaining much. You are still a one pairing team. They need to add a defender that can stand on his own.

My guess is that they are looking at Myers and Phaneuf. Not Gardiner, and they won't get Reilly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I really don't think the Avs are going to trade for Dion and pay him. They might not get Rielly but I can certainly believe that's what they want there. Myers makes a lot of sense from the age and term on his contract standpoint. He's a bit older and more experienced than Rielly, etc, makes sense that's right in the sweet spot of where they are looking. Kulikov is right in that range too.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
But if you trade your #1 asset for a LH defender to play next to EJ, then you aren't gaining much. You are still a one pairing team. They need to add a defender that can stand on his own.

My guess is that they are looking at Myers and Phaneuf. Not Gardiner, and they won't get Reilly.

bigras-ej
myers-barrie
siemens-redmond/Elliot/geertsen/etc

is a dcore I can live with

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Was it Barrie or Myers on the left side in Kelowna?

Someone on the main board once mentioned it was Barrie on the left side.

Garth saying that Buffalo would have to add to Myers is surprising. A grigorenko and Myers for RoR swap is too good to be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad