Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
i think teams like red wings and hawks, skilled puck possession teams are hard to play against. just different way than LA and blues.

It's my preferred style of play. I'd rather watch a team play with skill and speed than play with just physicality and a dump-and-chase game. I also think it's easier to beat a team that relies on toughness, like the Bruins, than it is to beat a team that relies on skill.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i was like ''umm, what'' at first... then i went to trade forum.

well played, freudian, well played. that's why we love you so much.

It's my preferred style of play. I'd rather watch a team play with skill and speed than play with just physicality and a dump-and-chase game. I also think it's easier to beat a team that relies on toughness, like the Bruins, than it is to beat a team that relies on skill.

yeah, i agree. i want this team to be more like hawks than the kings.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wings have been good at getting the puck back when they don't have it, even if they're not a very physical team. They have good neutral zone coverage and always uses enough interference to retrieve the puck.

There are many ways to be hard to play against.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think they would even want to trade with Minnesota unless it was an extreme overpayment though. Matter of fact, I wouldn't trade within the division unless it was an extreme overpayment, or a player that I REALLY want like Roman Josi or Jonas Brodin.

Same logic the Canucks used at the draft when trading Cory Schneider. The price was a 1st round top-10 pick from the Devils, but it was higher for the Oilers because of being in the same division

I just don't think teams can afford to think that way anymore. It kinda made sense when there were six divisions, but now there's only four. In a lot of instances, it's severely impacting your ability to get a good return for your player if you cut out that many team.

The Avs never seemed overly concerned with trading within the division in the past, and something about Roy and Sakic lead me to believe they care even less. It's all about PR risk anyway, and I don't think Roy and Sakic are scared of that. If they were, they would have picked Seth Jones not Nathan MacKinnon. They stepped into the role they're in now and took a big PR risk on day 1. If they like the player they're getting back they'll do it no matter what.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I just don't think teams can afford to think that way anymore. It kinda made sense when there were six divisions, but now there's only four. In a lot of instances, it's severely impacting your ability to get a good return for your player if you cut out that many team.

The Avs never seemed overly concerned with trading within the division in the past, and something about Roy and Sakic lead me to believe they care even less. It's all about PR risk anyway, and I don't think Roy and Sakic are scared of that. If they were, they would have picked Seth Jones not Nathan MacKinnon. They stepped into the role they're in now and took a big PR risk on day 1. If they like the player they're getting back they'll do it no matter what.

I actually think it's the opposite, that it matters even more now because of the 4 division and playoff format. There's only 7 teams in our division, 3 teams automatically make it, the other 4 are left fighting for a wild-card spot. I would think that you don't want to trade Ryan O'Reilly to a team in the division where you're battling to get one of the top 3 spots. In the old format, plain and simple top 8 teams make it. But now, divisional hockey matters even more, which is why I wouldn't want to trade within the division unless something huge came back

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually think it's the opposite, that it matters even more now because of the 4 division and playoff format. There's only 7 teams in our division, 3 teams automatically make it, the other 4 are left fighting for a wild-card spot. I would think that you don't want to trade Ryan O'Reilly to a team in the division where you're battling to get one of the top 3 spots. In the old format, plain and simple top 8 teams make it. But now, divisional hockey matters even more, which is why I wouldn't want to trade within the division unless something huge came back

But what difference does it really make if you think you're getting a player back that helps your team? I don't think you can be a good GM and be scared to make a move because it might help the other team more than yours.

There's good players on every team, it just so happens this one would have a connection to the Avs. O'Reilly can sign within the division in a year and half any way, just like Stastny did. In hindsight, which would be better? Keeping Stastny and letting him walk for St Louis, or trading him to St Louis the summer before he hit UFA and getting a good player back?

In this case, it would be trading him outside of the division for a lesser return and ROR signing in the division a year after, or the Avs trading him within the division for a better return. I'll take the trade within the division. If the return is better outside the division, obviously the point is moot.

It's all the optics of him being an ex Av and potentially hurting the Avs in a couple more games a year than normal, but yo have the player you got in return helping you for potentially 82 games a year. Teams are gonna be good no matter what in the NHL now, there's too much parity. IMO you have to focus only on what makes your team the best, even if it helps the other team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think the latest stretch with 11 losses in 14 games have sent some Leafs fans over the edge. Now they're all about trading Kessel and Phaneuf for Fiala+Jones+1st, Ekblad or MacKinnon. They've cracked under the pressure.

I do think Leafs eventually might be looking to get rid of some of the core players and while I don't doubt Phaneuf and Kessel could be traded, I don't think they'll fetch that kind of return.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the Leafs didn't have such enormous amounts of pressure to make the playoffs, their best move clearly IMO would be to blow it up, and move both Kessel and Phaneuf for as many picks/prospects as they can.

They're stuck in mediocrity and doing what the Yotes and Flames did for years, but those two finally had the balls to just start fresh and commit to a rebuild. Not good enough to compete, and not bad enough to get franchise players in the draft. Avs did the same thing after the Selanne/Kariya year up until Sakic's final season that lead to Duchene and a full rebuild.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Leafs are celebrating 100 years in 2017-18 and are looking to host the draft, All Star Game and Winter Classic that year. I'm not sure they want to be deep in a rebuild at that point, even if they probably need a rebuild.

Hard to know where they are going. It depends on how strong and autonomous Shanahan really is.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Leafs are celebrating 100 years in 2017-18 and are looking to host the draft, All Star Game and Winter Classic that year. I'm not sure they want to be deep in a rebuild at that point, even if they probably need a rebuild.

Hard to know where they are going. It depends on how strong and autonomous Shanahan really is.

That's what I mean. They have all these outside pressures to do well, but what would serve them the best is just to commit to a rebuild.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I've said it before, but ROR is not a player I would be scared to face in the division. Our top centers are too fast and dynamic for him to shut down IMO.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
These days you can't restrict yourself. It's hard getting trades done as it is.

The only type of players I wouldn't trade within division are disgruntled psychos (Downie perhaps) or goalies that are gamers because you know that will come back and haunt you.

Varlamov is the only one on Avs I wouldn't trade within the division.

anleva

Aug 2, 2005
Sorry if this was already posted, I didn't see it.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 4m4 minutes ago

#Avs putting out feelers on Ryan O'Reilly as they search for D help. 2 teams showing interest include #Sabres #Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad