Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
With Methot getting a new agent and, IMO, finding a deal with Ottawa, the options are going to be pretty limited this summer. If the Avs miss out on Sekera and Martin, it could be another lean year on defense next season.
You're more in tune of the Senators, but everything I have seen thus far tells me that Methot does not want to stay in Ottawa expect for major overpayment like Bobby Ryan.

I think Rangers feel Zuccarello and/or Hagelin are easier to replace than Staal. They can't fit everyone in next year.
You cannot trade Zuccarello with the season he is having and being a cult figure for the Rangers fanbase....but Hagelin brings much to the Rangers team as well, speed, solid penalty killing, and secondary scoring (even though he hasn't had a great of season thus now). I would have said to keep Hagelin, but I didn't realize that he is just one year younger than Mats. That is going to be a hard decision for the Rangers, but from an Avs perspective, I would love to get someone like Hagelin for our team...our transition and speed game will increase that much more.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You're more in tune of the Senators, but everything I have seen thus far tells me that Methot does not want to stay in Ottawa expect for major overpayment like Bobby Ryan.

You cannot trade Zuccarello with the season he is having and being a cult figure for the Rangers fanbase....but Hagelin brings much to the Rangers team as well, speed, solid penalty killing, and secondary scoring (even though he hasn't had a great of season thus now). I would have said to keep Hagelin, but I didn't realize that he is just one year younger than Mats. That is going to be a hard decision for the Rangers, but from an Avs perspective, I would love to get someone like Hagelin for our team...our transition and speed game will increase that much more.

That, and Roy could probably justify moving Talbot either to the 4th line permanently, or off this team completely if we were to get Hagelin given he is an outstanding penalty killer. Not that I want Talbot gone, but he is slowing down year after year, you have to wonder how much he's got left in his legs

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He's from Ottawa, so I think he does want to stay there, but with the Sens having a budget, I don't know if they are willing to pay him what he wants to get it done. I do think eventually it will get done.

He's not a top pairing guy by any means, but would certainly be an upgrade here. He's had a rough season with injuries this year, though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's from Ottawa, so I think he does want to stay there, but with the Sens having a budget, I don't know if they are willing to pay him what he wants to get it done. I do think eventually it will get done.

He's not a top pairing guy by any means, but would certainly be an upgrade here. He's had a rough season with injuries this year, though.

He'd definitely be an upgrade here, but I think he's going to be grossly overpaid whether he re-signs in Ottawa or goes to UFA this summer. I think his agent is going to use the fact that he was invited to Team Canada's orientation camp for the 2014 Olympic games as saying he's considered one of the better defenseman in the league. I personally think Methot's body will start to break down soon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm sure it's just my longstanding desire to see him next to EJ, but I think this team has a very good chance to start next season with a Sekera-EJ top pairing. Joe+Patty have pull in the free agent world, and having these highly respected oldies putting out good words about them to players they know helps. With the team clawing back into the playoff picture and Carolina continuing to Carolina I think we'll be a very appealing option for Sekera and one of his top suitors.

That would solve so many problems for this team. Sekera - EJ 25+ minutes a night, Stuart - Barrie 21+ minutes a night, and a 14 minute a night third pairing of Redmond, Holden, Siemens, Bigras, Noreau, Elliott or Guenin. With Dunk and Bigras coming through over the next few years while Sekera is still in his prime our defense could be very strong in 2-3 years when the forward core can realistically be cup ready as long as ROR is dealt with adequately.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The biggest problem I see going forward this year is what to truly trade ROR for.

Ideally, he should be traded at the draft for maximum value.

The problem is, we have no idea what we can get on July 1st.

If we are actually able to sign an Ehrhoff/Sekera, then maybe its best to trade ROR for a winger replacement.

If you trade him for a dman, then you have to go and get a forward on July 1st, and youre not likely to get a top pairing dman for ROR. Not to mention, if ROR is traded for a top 4 dman, we're unlikely to go after another dman in free agency.

Just curious what everyones opinion is, but what do you think we have a more reasonable chance of acquiring in free agency. Top 4 dman? Top line winger? based on whats available going into free agency.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

When I watch him play, he looks like the most perfect replacement for Jan Hejda. Would you agree with that statement Mars?

You know, at this point I wouldn't mind paying Sekera between 6 to 6.5 million.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The biggest problem I see going forward this year is what to truly trade ROR for.

If we are actually able to sign an Ehrhoff/Sekera, then maybe its best to trade ROR for a winger replacement.

If you trade him for a dman, then you have to go and get a forward on July 1st, and youre not likely to get a top pairing dman for ROR. Not to mention, if ROR is traded for a top 4 dman, we're unlikely to go after another dman in free agency.

Just curious what everyones opinion is, but what do you think we have a more reasonable chance of acquiring in free agency. Top 4 dman? Top line winger? based on whats available going into free agency.
If we trade O'Reilly for a defenseman, what's stopping us from going after another defenseman in free agency? We have 6 D under contract for next year, but we can certainly bring in two more and push guys like Guenin, Holden, and Redmond to the press box. Roy likes carrying 8 defenseman at all times. It can also let them develop Bigras in the AHL if they want too.

I personally think any trade for the Avs with ROR is going to be for a top 4 defenseman and then they'll try to get a young forward in the deal too.

When I watch him play, he looks like the most perfect replacement for Jan Hejda. Would you agree with that statement Mars?

You know, at this point I wouldn't mind paying Sekera between 6 to 6.5 million.
I would agree with that. I think he's better with the puck than Hejda, but a similar player for sure.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It's easier to plug-and-play forwards than it is defenseman. ROR needs to be traded at the draft at the very latest IMO because that's when we'll receive full value. If we wait until after July 1st, every team will have spent big money on big free agents, they probably won't be looking at spending even more for 6 million dollar Ryan O'Reilly who they will have to pay the next season. The Avs need to identify a team that could use ROR and has what we need as well, and strike a deal by the draft before that team gets the chance to fill their need via free agency instead.

Some free agent forwards include Erik Cole, Mats Zuccarello, Sean Bergenheim, Martin Havlat, Matt Cullen, Michael Frolik, Tomas Kopecky, Jiri Tlusty, Shawn Matthias, Mike Santorelli, Jaromir Jagr, Drew Stafford, Justin Williams, Scottie Upshall, Michael Ryder, Joel Ward, Eric Fehr, and Steve Downie.

The list is much larger for forwards who can play in the top-9 than defenseman who can play in the top-4, especially since Staal just re-signed with New York, and Methot potentially re-signing in Ottawa.

If they aren't going to acquire a defenseman for ROR, I'd be happier acquiring futures for him instead of a high-priced forward who isn't as good and something small

m0ngr31

It's easier to plug-and-play forwards than it is defenseman. ROR needs to be traded at the draft at the very latest IMO because that's when we'll receive full value. If we wait until after July 1st, every team will have spent big money on big free agents, they probably won't be looking at spending even more for 6 million dollar Ryan O'Reilly who they will have to pay the next season. The Avs need to identify a team that could use ROR and has what we need as well, and strike a deal by the draft before that team gets the chance to fill their need via free agency instead.

Some free agent forwards include Erik Cole, Mats Zuccarello, Sean Bergenheim, Martin Havlat, Matt Cullen, Michael Frolik, Tomas Kopecky, Jiri Tlusty, Shawn Matthias, Mike Santorelli, Jaromir Jagr, Drew Stafford, Justin Williams, Scottie Upshall, Michael Ryder, Joel Ward, Eric Fehr, and Steve Downie.

The list is much larger for forwards who can play in the top-9 than defenseman who can play in the top-4, especially since Staal just re-signed with New York, and Methot potentially re-signing in Ottawa.

If they aren't going to acquire a defenseman for ROR, I'd be happier acquiring futures for him instead of a high-priced forward who isn't as good and something small
Guaranty we make a play for him since he played at the same time Roy and Sakic did :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Guaranty we make a play for him since he played at the same time Roy and Sakic did :laugh:

Hey, I honestly wouldn't mind. He could teach these young kids a thing or two about hard work. I know Iggy and Tangs are great vets, but Jagr takes hard work to another level. Not that he's my #1 target, but if he wanted to sign here for 1 year at say, 3 million dollars, I'd snag him. The guy would do wonders for our offensive zone time and our power play, and in some way which I don't understand, is actually improving year by year as he gets older. Just look at these numbers:

2011-2012: 54 points in 73 games
2012-2013: 35 points in 45 games, on pace for 64 points
2013-2014: 67 points in 82 games
This season he has slowed down a bit, is only on pace for 48 points but with how hard he works, I think he could still easily be a 50 point player next season

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not sure that I buy that teams will have already spent their wads on a possible ROR trade if he's moved after he can sign an extension and not at the draft. ROR would be the top Forward by a mile if he were a UFA this summer so the teams looking to make a real upgrade to their top 6 would keep their options open if we were still talking to teams about a ROR trade in June. Plus at that point in the season teams not needing to be cap compliant yet would let them make moves to accomodate ROR and any UFAs they're after as well. We have to be shopping him by the draft if he isn't going to sign an extension with us, but I don't think a deal has to be finalized before we make our pitch to Sekera.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Damn, UFA crop just got a lot thinner. Happens every year, and the Avs are just standing there holding their you know what in their hands. Would have done that Staal deal on the Avs for sure. Not worried about his decline. He's still incredibly strong defensively, and can skate and pass the puck well out of the zone. Those are the main points of need.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My opinion or action if I were the GM is to add a lot of depth this off-season - two defensemen and two forwards.

I don't believe the Avalanche need to swing for a big fish - they just need veterans who will secure a roster spot and keep lesser talents out of the line-up.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Staal being gone removes a major mine from the minefield. Overrated player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Staal being gone removes a major mine from the minefield. Overrated player.

Staal plays a very similar game to Hejda, except he's better defensively, stronger physically, younger, and a much better skater and puck handler. If Hejda's been a god send for EJ's game, then Staal would have formed a very formidable top pairing with him.

I think it's been said so often lately that he's overrated because his offense hasn't returned after his eye injury, that he's become underrated because that was never the strongest part of his game anyway. Every time I watch him he's still very solid in those other areas, he's just tentative in the offensive zone, and his shots gets blocked a lot.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
No offense and average-below average footspeed. Has size. He's like Hejda alright; a pylon with some decent passing. I'd much rather many other ufa targets this summer. I'm in love with Sekera.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Has this been debunked yet?

Brian Lawton ‏@bryanlawton9 1h1 hour ago
BREAKING: #Canucks trade #Kassian to #Bruins for #Bartkowski and #Caron

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think that's a fake acct. The verified account is @brianlawton9 with an "i."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No idea... Brendan Ross retweeted it. I just hadn't seen that news anywhere else. I know that is the speculated trade though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Spells it "Brian" in the actual name but it's spelled "bryan" in the Twitter handle.

That's got to be a fake.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I think the Avs end up trading him and perhaps another player from our team for a forward AND a d-man + maybe a pick. When you go through each team, one by one, you soon come to the conclusion that there are not that many logical options right now for the Avs.

West
Anaheim - just added Kesler, unlikely to give up Fowler - unlikely
San Jose - we'd want Vlasic, no go
L.A. - they seem focused on adding true rentals, don't see it with them
Edmonton - they don't really have a proven young d-man that we'd want, Eberle I guess, if we can't get a better offer
Arizona - Yandle maybe...not sure I see the Avs wanting to pay up for EJ and then him the following year
Vancouver - I guess they have Hamhuis though I read he's not having a great year. We'd also need a + coming back. (I'd want Shinkaruk)

Calgary - Giordano makes a lot of sense to me but the flames would need assurances that ROR would sign long-term with them before making that swap. It makes sense for them because they are not winning any cups within the next 4-5 years and gaining 24 year old ROR for the future is a huge plus for them. Avs gamble that adding Giordano is the horse they need to play with EJ and finally right the ship defensively. But Burke probably thinks they are set to win a few cups in 2-3 years so you know whatever.

Our Division - I think it's unlikely we trade RoR within our own division.

Philadelphia - Coburn although I'm not a big fan of his, I wouldn't do it straight up
Pittsburgh - just added Perron, I don't think they add any big pieces like ROR...just rentals now
New Jersey - I really don't see anything there that would be worthwhile (I'm not a Larsson fan and never have been)
New York Islanders - I don't think Garth makes a big change with the season they are having
New York Rangers - Don't have the pieces available
Carolina - I guess you could get soon-to-be UFA Sekera out of them but you'd also need a pretty big +
Washington - Alzner made tons of sense but since their GM said he wants to make changes to the roster, they've won a ton of games. Maybe in the off-season...
Columbus - Not sure I'd want JMFJ on our team given his situation...He's a decent enough player and minute muncher but I'd wary of trading for him.

Toronto - unless they break down and offer us Morgan Rielly, I don't see us doing them any favors
Buffalo - are in FULL rebuild mode, I don't see them making a trade for ROR (We'd ask for Zadorov + and I think they would balk at that)
Boston - I don't see a fit
Ottawa - I could see them being interested but not sure what we could get back from them...maybe soon to be UFA Methot + Zibanejad? I dunno.
Columbus - Not sure I'd want JMFJ on our team given his situation...He's a decent enough player and minute muncher but I'd wary of trading for him.
Detroit - lol yeah right.
Florida - Don't think Tallon makes any changes since they are above .500 for the first time in forever
Tampa Bay - I don't think they do any tinkering - they are on their way

Montreal - I think this is the team that makes a lot of sense, when it all comes down to it and I think they have the GM that is probably willing to pay to get ROR on his team. They have a kid like Eller, who's a pretty good player, signed to a good contract, can play wing or center and they have some depth on defense (Beaulieu/Tinordi) and a prospect we know the Avs covet in Angry-Getto. When you think about it, the Habs are in a position to go for it this year AND could certainly use a player like ROR to help put them over the top. The Avs would need to be fairly certain through their pro scouting that either Beaulieu or Tinordi are going to be at the very least top-4 d-men at some point very soon, for this deal to make any sense whatsoever. If they are, then I think it could be something that gets done with possibly other parts and picks moving on either side.

So all-in-all, Montreal and Calgary are the 2 teams that make the most sense to me right now, however, if the Avs hang on to ROR past the trade deadline, then they will likely have more options open to them as they head into the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad