Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 1m1 minute ago
Dreger on #Avs (1/2): “There’s so much emotion in that group, starting with Patrick Roy. Something is going to give here..â€

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 54s55 seconds ago
Dreger on #Avs (2/2): "Something is going to happen. They're going to make a trade.They're going to do something to try & spark this group."

They shouldn't overreact and make a trade just to "spark this group" but it's clear this team isn't going anywhere with this current group of defensemen. At some point it needs to be addressed.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
A trade to "spark things up" would not go well. But it's the total opposite of what I want, so with Roy being the bizarro-Robin it's likely to happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A spark trade doesn't have to mean a ROR sort of trade... I think the Avs will make a trade with one of their forwards before the end of the month, but it will be more of a clearing move than a spark move.

I saw some tweets saying the problem is the goaltending got worse. Seriously.

Yeah... even Bob said it. Goaltending is the last of the issues here.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I saw some tweets saying the problem is the goaltending got worse. Seriously.

McKenzie said something along those lines, about it being crazy to think the goaltending would be as good as it was last season. I don't think Varly has been too far off from where he was last season so I don't agree but McKenzie made some other good points. He's into the analytics stuff now so if people don't like regression talk, you probably don't want to hear it.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The goaltending is worse, but it is not humanly possible to stay at the level it was at last year. It's still elite though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only goalie that has been 'worse' has been Pickard. Berra and Varly have been the same or better. Berra actually has been better than JSG was last year so far.

member 116861

Goaltending has been better this year.

Varly=Varly
Berra>Giguere

Pickard sucked but he was a 3rd string.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Wow, huge limb to go out on, Avs are going to make a trade. Everyone (minus the Jets) makes trades. Sounds like he is just spouting off HF quality opinions rather than an actual inside knowledge.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Dreger on #Avs (1/2): “There’s so much emotion in that group, starting with Patrick Roy. Something is going to give here..â€

Dreger on #Avs (2/2): "Something is going to happen. They're going to make a trade.They're going to do something to try & spark this group."

Just from the first quote I'm super skeptical on this.

I wouldn't be shocked.

I think it'll be after the game or tomorrow. I think Roy knows we just don't have the D to win. If EJ goes down now you're back to 3 AHL d-men playing in games. Wilson, Guenin, and Holden should never be in the lineup all at the same time...

Maybe i'm wrong and he'll be stubborn... I'm not sure i'm halfway expecting a move soon.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The only goalie that has been 'worse' has been Pickard. Berra and Varly have been the same or better. Berra actually has been better than JSG was last year so far.

Not to start the year. Not even close. Giggy came out of the gates like 5-0 or something with a shut out or two in there. He was playing lights out.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
An idea I threw around on trade forum I think would be good for both teams (Both teams need a shakeup IMO)

To Yotes - ROR
To Avs - Yandle

Maybe other pieces (Lesser pieces) involved around that

- Avs get good dman who's puck moving should be big improvement for your team
- Yotes get a good 2 way player on wing. Yotes would upgrade top 6 wing position and depth upfront

What would be thoughts of Avs fans on this?

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
An idea I threw around on trade forum I think would be good for both teams (Both teams need a shakeup IMO)

To Yotes - ROR
To Avs - Yandle

- Yotes get a good 2 way player on wing. Yotes would upgrade top 6 wing position and depth upfront

Most won't agree but i'd do it.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

To Yotes - ROR
To Avs - Yandle

I think Arizona needs to add, but not much. I still like Yandle, but he is older and seems to have stalled, or even regressed. Maybe something like the Avs add Holden, and Arizona adds a young forward.

member 116861

To Yotes - ROR
To Avs - Yandle

I take this and run.

If we could add Holden and have them add a 3rd liner that would be even better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They shouldn't overreact and make a trade just to "spark this group" but it's clear this team isn't going anywhere with this current group of defensemen. At some point it needs to be addressed.

At some point, sure. But there's a number of guys who might actually hit FA next summer who could give us what we need, so why give up mountains now? We won the toughest division in hockey last year with a similar defense, so we can stay in the playoff hunt and sneak in with this group this year. If we can get one of those FAs to be in on a rental deal built around non-Bleackley/Bigras/Siemens prospects and our picks after this years first, then great. But if not, then we should wait until after UFA when we'll know for sure if we have to make a big trade to fix the D.

Like I would be really disappointed if we traded away ROR for Yandle or even Hamhuis.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How is it worse? Varly's save % is higher than it was last year

Overall yes. 91.55% on 5vs5 now. Last year it was 93.07% on 5 vs 5.

Some numbers might prove me wrong. But it feels like our save percentage after this many games last year was a lot higher than this year. Giguere was standing on his head too.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
A 1 for 1 or close to it deal isn't going to happen for ROR. It will be pieces with upside for ROR.

This is what I think should happen as well. I think if the 1 for 1 scenario would happen it should have happened last draft or in the offseason.

But I personally like the idea of getting some really good prospects for ROR, preferably ones that are playing in the league now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I dont think anyone here believes they are playing the exact same just Varly is letting a few more goals in. That's what the analytic people were predicting, playing the same but different results. It doesn't take analytical to say play like crap and lose as a result. So to turn this into a "see, analytics!!" case is misleading. And that's why saying the prediction of goaltending came true shows how flawed that argument is. They might ultimately be right, but this isn't the evidence.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Don't think a trade is happening any time soon. They won't be stupid enough to move their first or a top prospect in a fix it trade. Everyone around the league is looking for D, it's probably even harder now than it was last year. If they are going to do something it won't be minor. If they need to pull the trigger on O'Reilly then I think it comes when they have a clearer picture if they are going to be buyers or sellers this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad