Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
If Gormley was really that good, then the Coyotes would find a way to get him in the lineup. Don't believe this whole "he's secretly REALLY good" narrative that gets pushed about garbage players every season.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I had heard it was Giordano+Backlund+3rd for O'Reilly, the Avs countered with Gio+Baertschi

Thanks. Team would have looked very different with that trade.

McGinn-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
Mitchell-Backlund-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot

Giordano-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Stuart

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
If Gormley was really that good, then the Coyotes would find a way to get him in the lineup. Don't believe this whole "he's secretly REALLY good" narrative that gets pushed about garbage players every season.

Well, it is the Yotes, and Gromely is on a 2 way deal. I can at least sort of buy the whole franchise is too cheap to pay an NHL salary in the AL argument.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I had heard it was Giordano+Backlund+3rd for O'Reilly, the Avs countered with Gio+Baertschi

We should have grabbed that and run for the hills. :shakehead

I personally still believe that as a franchise, for the Flames to make that kind of move, it makes tons of sense for them. Maybe not right at this time, as you never want to make huge changes when things are going well but if and when they start to struggle, it makes a lot of sense for their future.

If you don't think so, answer these questions please:
1) Can the Flames win the Stanley Cup within the next 4 years?
2) If the Flames were to trade Giordano, what team out there is giving them a better, established CORE piece than RoR? (*while there would be a ton of teams interested, I can see them giving up more prospects+futures but likely not significantly weakening their team by giving up a 23/24 year old core piece)

If the answer to either of those is 'Yes' (personally, I think you're kidding yourself) then the Flames don't make that trade. However, I believe that the answer to both those questions is an easy no. The Flames might be trading away their captain but let's not act like they aren't also acquiring their new captain in the process.

I get it...it seems stupid to talk about this NOW, since the Flames are 8-4-2 and we are 3-6-5 and they wouldn't make that deal at this time anyways. But it's a long season and things will likely even out.

***As I've said before, acquiring an asset that's 7.5 years younger is a no-brainer for a team that's not ready to contend. It's called BUILDING a team and hanging on to your star players as they fade into the twilight of their careers is almost never a recipe for success, no matter how attached you get to those players.

Isn't that what the Flames did with Iginla and Kiprusoff and what the Avs did with Sakic (Personally, I don't regret that one) and Hejduk??

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Had a funny conversation with a GM last weekend. Heard he was looking for a defenceman, he responded with, “Everyone is looking for a defenceman.†Montreal is checking to see what’s out there. The decimated Rangers are bringing in Tomas Kaberle, with no contract offer. Philadelphia’s search, before signing Carlo Colaiacovo, was exhaustive. “Name someone,†one agent said. “They considered him.†The same GM quoted above talked to a team with eight one-way contracts on its blueline, only to be told none were available. “They wanted to keep all of them,†he said.

From Friedman's 30 thoughts. Doesn't look good for getting a defenceman.

Avs have 8 defencemen on 1-way contracts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
From Friedman's 30 thoughts. Doesn't look good for getting a defenceman.

Avs have 8 defencemen on 1-way contracts.

It this a surprise considering how much Boychuk and Leddy brought in return? If you want a defensemen right now, you have to really pay up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Alright... alright... can we agree the Avs have 8 in the organization, and Holden is a de facto 9th as there is a better chance of me marrying Kate Upton than Holden getting sent down? :laugh:

BTW I don't think the quote is talking about the Avs.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
If it was Sakic who said he wanted to keep all 8 of his NHL contracted d-men, than all I can say is :facepalm: and we're in for a long year.

But most likely it was a team in the East, probably Tampa Bay or Washington would be my guess.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pretty much, I was just being argumentative for the sake of it.

stopit.jpg

:sarcasm: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad