Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Roy may be stubborn, but he inherited this team and didn't build it himself. Most of the team was put together without him. He could easily change parts of it.

He may have inherited the team, but he has been involved in re-signing, acquiring, or drafting a majority of the current roster.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Last year Roy traded Downie for Talbot on Halloween, before the team even lost 2 games. I could easily see him making some sort of swap before November. Unfortunately, it won't fix the Avs needs.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I would love Campbell. Adding him to our blue line makes the Avs hella' better.

Not a fan. We have enough old vets for now with questionable production.

Thankfully he won't happen. There is just no way that we can fit him in under the cap.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Soupy would be absolutely perfect for this team next to barrie on the PP and next to EJ 5on5, but I don't think he can fit in our cap situation unless we're sending Stuart the other way.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Who would be swapped though? We don't have any Downie-like players anymore.

Dutchy, Lando, EJ, MacK, Varly, Barrie, Iggy, Stuart and Briere are for sure not going anywhere, either because they're a part of the core, or they were just recently brought in/extended.

Tangs and Talbs weren't as recently brought in, but I doubt either are traded since Roy targeted them.

McLeod, Mitchell and Berra are lower-tier guys who were just recently extended, so doubt they go anywhere (not that the return for them would be any good anyway).

Redmond and Winchester haven't played yet, but I doubt they go anywhere either.

Then there are the scrubs like Wilson, Guenin and Cliche who will absolutely not be traded because nobody else wants anything to do with them.

We already know one of the young goalies is going to be shipped off at some point, but the return won't be for an NHLer. More likely for a 3rd string vet.

Which leaves:

ROR: Easily our most valuable asset, but management refused to trade Staz even though it was a strong possibility he was going to leave, so they probably won't trade ROR, especially this early on.

McGinn: The next most valuable asset, I really, really hope they hang on to him because there's nothing wrong with the way he plays or fits the system. He's a big, fast winger, Roy had better not trade him, since the return would be worse, in my opinion.

Holden: Roy seems to love him for some unknown reason, so I doubt he gets traded, but I wouldn't think twice about shipping him off in a package deal to get a legit top-4 LHD. A team with cap issues could easily use him as a bottom-pairing guy where he won't get so exposed. But I've never been a fan of the guy and his offensive outburst last season was a fluke and won't happen again.

Hejda: Could be a very desirable asset come trade deadline day, since most playoff teams looking for a vet rental would give up a young guy and/or a pick to get their hands on him. He won't be traded this early on though.

So basically, there are 4 players who could or should be traded, but the odds are pretty stacked against any sort of traded involving a roster player. I bet they overpay with yet another 2nd rounder to grab someone they like.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Who would be swapped though? We don't have any Downie-like players anymore.

Dutchy, Lando, EJ, MacK, Varly, Barrie, Iggy, Stuart and Briere are for sure not going anywhere, either because they're a part of the core, or they were just recently brought in/extended.

Tangs and Talbs weren't as recently brought in, but I doubt either are traded since Roy targeted them.

McLeod, Mitchell and Berra are lower-tier guys who were just recently extended, so doubt they go anywhere (not that the return for them would be any good anyway).

Redmond and Winchester haven't played yet, but I doubt they go anywhere either.

Then there are the scrubs like Wilson, Guenin and Cliche who will absolutely not be traded because nobody else wants anything to do with them.

We already know one of the young goalies is going to be shipped off at some point, but the return won't be for an NHLer. More likely for a 3rd string vet.

Which leaves:

ROR: Easily our most valuable asset, but management refused to trade Staz even though it was a strong possibility he was going to leave, so they probably won't trade ROR, especially this early on.

McGinn: The next most valuable asset, I really, really hope they hang on to him because there's nothing wrong with the way he plays or fits the system. He's a big, fast winger, Roy had better not trade him, since the return would be worse, in my opinion.

Holden: Roy seems to love him for some unknown reason, so I doubt he gets traded, but I wouldn't think twice about shipping him off in a package deal to get a legit top-4 LHD. A team with cap issues could easily use him as a bottom-pairing guy where he won't get so exposed. But I've never been a fan of the guy and his offensive outburst last season was a fluke and won't happen again.

Hejda: Could be a very desirable asset come trade deadline day, since most playoff teams looking for a vet rental would give up a young guy and/or a pick to get their hands on him. He won't be traded this early on though.

So basically, there are 4 players who could or should be traded, but the odds are pretty stacked against any sort of traded involving a roster player. I bet they overpay with yet another 2nd rounder to grab someone they like.

Depending on how they play this season, both Hejda and Breire could be decent deadline trade bait, but only if they play reasonably well, and only at the deadline. And non-elite aging veteran deadline dumps like this would likely net the Avs draft picks (3rd round, perhaps?) or mid-level prospects.

McGinn could bring a nice return. He's productive, cheap, can play on a number of lines.

O'R is obviously the most valuable chip, but he won't bring back equal value. Avs fans don't want to hear that, but it's likely the case.

I don't see Holden bringing back much of anything. He's Roy's project.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Dont trade any young talent for more veterans. Just dont. I'm sure we would throw another draft pick in there as well. Our prospect pool is already weak and we have too many veterans, our window isn't to "win now".

m0ngr31

I'm actually more scared of this team making a trade because they never get good value for what we give up. If we got Campbell, I'm sure we'd give up way more than asking price, and then before he even gets on the airplane Roy would have extended him for 5 years just for the lulz :help:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dont trade any young talent for more veterans. Just dont. I'm sure we would throw another draft pick in there as well. Our prospect pool is already weak and we have too many veterans, our window isn't to "win now".

Yep. I'd love a Campbell/Erhoff/Ekera/Martin, but ROR, Landy, MacK, Dutchy, McG, Bleackley, Malkin, EJ, Barrie, Bigras, Siemens, Varly and our firsts can not be going the other way in such a deal. If that means we have to wait for FA then we have to wait for FA. But anything more than Hishon, Pickard and a 2nd is too much for a team that still a couple years from making a real deep playoff run, and even Hishon I wouldn't be happy to give up.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The often unreliable Garrioch claiming:

"Phoenix is trying to move defenceman Brandon Gormley, who isn’t happy in Portland."

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The often unreliable Garrioch claiming:

"Phoenix is trying to move defenceman Brandon Gormley, who isn’t happy in Portland."

He's an interesting prospect. I have to wonder why he hasn't cracked their line up by now though. He seems like he would fill a need if he's ready but I know little about him and if he's stagnated.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's an interesting prospect. I have to wonder why he hasn't cracked their line up by now though. He seems like he would fill a need if he's ready but I know little about him and if he's stagnated.

He probably doesn't have high end talent, but I think the main problem is that he has OEL and Yandle who plays 26-27 minutes a game ahead of him on the left side.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Sounds like Larsson is on the market.

I sure hope to god that Sakic/Roy make the move.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I was perusing through the old threads when ROR had his first holdout and a few ROR deals were being reasonably discussed with other fan bases and then quickly shot down by this board. The same names that still get thrown around when discussing the problems with this defense.

Sekera ++
Staal
etc.

I wonder how this team would look now if the Avs had made a trade like that back then. Especially with ROR now looking like a sure fire UFA waters tester.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7 min7 minuuttia sitten
T.J. Brodie's extension with CGY not done yet but if/when it's done, expectation is it will likely be 5 years with AAV north of $4.5M.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7 min7 minuuttia sitten
T.J. Brodie's extension with CGY not done yet but if/when it's done, expectation is it will likely be 5 years with AAV north of $4.5M.

He's a gem, and will be another good contract young defenseman the Avs won't have.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just hope Patrick doesn't panic and give up one of our big 4 forwards or big 4 dmen, Varly, McG, Bleackley or Malkin.

I'm ok with packaging Hishon with a goalie and our second round pick. For the right guy I may even give up next year's first, but that's the absolutely high water mark for what I'd give up and would have to bring in a guy who'd be more than a rental without an extension.

And soupy's one of the only guys with the defensive prowess, puck skills, experience, skating ability, and contract length to fit the bill.

That said if we could make that trade that would be pretty amazing. Campbell-Barrie, Holden-EJ would be a great thing for our PP and Soupy-EJ could eat 25+ minutes a game in all situations and thrive.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think that the Avs should be going extremely hard after Sekera. I think Marc Staal 100% makes it to free agency, and his first option is likely going to be Carolina to play with Eric and Jordan, unless one or both get traded this year then that puts a wrench in those plans. But if they stay, he's my best bet at signing in Carolina. If we could manage to pluck Sekera from them, even if it's at the deadline, do it.

However, I am on board with most of you in saying that Bleackley and Bigras can't go. I'm still iffy on Siemens as IMO I project him as a 3rd pairing rugged defenseman, and I'm willing to move him in a package.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think that the Avs should be going extremely hard after Sekera. I think Marc Staal 100% makes it to free agency, and his first option is likely going to be Carolina to play with Eric and Jordan, unless one or both get traded this year then that puts a wrench in those plans. But if they stay, he's my best bet at signing in Carolina. If we could manage to pluck Sekera from them, even if it's at the deadline, do it.

However, I am on board with most of you in saying that Bleackley and Bigras can't go. I'm still iffy on Siemens as IMO I project him as a 3rd pairing rugged defenseman, and I'm willing to move him in a package.

I wouldn't move Siemens before seeing him in the NHL, he would probably be an upgrade on Guenin right now.

Sekera and Methot are the only realistic options right now, because they'd most likely cost futures, and prospects to acquire.

Methot's contract demands scare me a little though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
To give some idea of Gormley, he was about Redmond level in the AHL last year. Gormley is much younger though. I'd definitely like to land him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad