Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think Avs are going to trade O'Reilly or the first round pick. I don't expect any trades, to be honest.

I don't expect anything either because I believe Roy is extremely stubborn. IMO it needs to be done for this team to improve, but I am with you in the sense that I doubt it will

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think Avs are going to trade O'Reilly or the first round pick. I don't expect any trades, to be honest.

I don't either. I just think on a ROR deal expectations probably have to be lowered on the return, hopefully still a long term piece would come back. A trade like that will change the course of this franchise, even this entire season isn't as big as making a move like that.

I know we need better puck movement but we have options of guys who can do that. I'd like to see that explored before a panic trade. (if a nice blockbuster is there is one thing, I don't have issues with that but those are rare)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't either. I just think on a ROR deal expectations probably have to be lowered on the return, hopefully still a long term piece would come back. A trade like that will change the course of this franchise, even this entire season isn't as big as making a move like that.

I know we need better puck movement but we have options of guys who can do that. I'd like to see that explored before a panic trade. (if a nice blockbuster is there is one thing, I don't have issues with that but those are rare)

We do have better options like Redmond and Noreau, but Roy doesn't seem to want to try those. We just played against three really fast teams in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, and our defense 1) Couldn't move the puck, and 2) Couldn't get back after pinching. If Roy doesn't realize the defenseman that he got suck, then it's simply him being too proud to own up to his mistakes and that's not good at all

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just cause Roy acknowledges they suck doesn't mean he's going to rush into a big change that messes with our core and future. Especially if the forwards can start playing better and we're still in the playoff race once we've had a few weeks.

This is a learning year where a step back was to be expected after a hectic summer where they had to scramble to replace Staz and try and work things out with ROR. Next summer is a time for early extension work so going hard after a d man would be reasonable to expect if the math works out.

If we can get an early look on a rental like Sekera without messing with the core and future, then that's a move I could see us making, but anything around ROR is way to massive and not something we need to do. We don't need to bring in OEL to play with EJ and be successful. So until we've gotten a capable fill like Sekera and it's failed, keeping the core together is more important.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Unless Colorado were to make a small trade, I think it would be a mistake. The problem right now is chemistry, not talent.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't expect anything either because I believe Roy is extremely stubborn. IMO it needs to be done for this team to improve, but I am with you in the sense that I doubt it will

Roy may be stubborn, but he inherited this team and didn't build it himself. Most of the team was put together without him. He could easily change parts of it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is my feeling. The pieces are there, they just need to start working together.

Yup, the forwards just aren't playing as well as they can and both EJ and Barrie aren't in top form either. We still have a hole at #1LHD, but this team are better than the record and will get better as more guys get in the swing of things, gel, and iggy comes out of his annual start-of-season-goal-slump before getting to 30 again.

I would shake up the lines though, let ROR go back to dutchy's wing and let MacK take his lumps at C, we'll be a better team in the long run, and it could get the first line clicking as Duchene and McG are our only top 6ers who aren't playing poorly right now, with Tanguay rounding just-alright. Put Iginla or Tanguay next to Landy-MacK, McG or Iggy next to ROR-Duchene and have Malkin flanked by whoever's left over and Talbot or Everbeast. Briere can center McCleod and Everbeast or Talbs until Winchester gets back.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
there wont be a big trade before the 25 game mark. Redmond and siemens haven't even seen the ice yet(which makes no sense). I can see o'reilly being traded but not until the off-season. the 1/2/3(mack/landy/dutchy) picks aren't going anywhere though

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Roy may be stubborn, but he inherited this team and didn't build it himself. Most of the team was put together without him. He could easily change parts of it.

Did Roy not play a hand in signing Nick Holden? Nate Guenin? Trading for Brad Stuart? I can see Roy's vision of wanting to be bigger, tougher to play against and adding more experience and believe me, I am all for it. We need it given our core is comprised of very skilled offensive players, so we need that balance, and I believe he's done that... at forward.

Defense is not a position where in this day and age in the NHL you can be big and mean only and win hockey games. You need puck movers. You need agile defenders who can move up and down the ice with ease. Skating is at a premium, but Roy - and Sakic - didn't seem to take that into account when looking at acquiring defenseman and it shows. Stuart is a fine addition for the 3rd pairing, and Nick Holden is fine as a 6/7. But I don't believe that's what Roy acquired them for. Well, Holden yes but now Roy is attached to Holden the same way he is Guenin and Cliche.

Roy has made some good moves. I liked the Talbot deal. I liked the Tanguay deal a lot. I am one of the people who likes the Briere deal. I like the Everberg and Rendulic signings. But the defense acquisition portion of this team is where he has struggled, and struggled mightily

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Some random things form the King of the Buffet, Bruce Garrioch...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/10/18/changes-could-be-coming-for-struggling-florida-panthers-edmonton-oilers
Phoenix is trying to move defenceman Brandon Gormley, who isn’t happy in Portland.
Before the Hurricanes try to move defenceman Andrej Sekera, expect the club to take a run at trying to sign him. A UFA making $2.75 million, Ron Francis would like to keep Sekera
If the Panthers are to move defenceman Brian Campbell, they want a top prospect in return.
New Jersey defenceman Adam Larsson had yet to suit up for a game going into Saturday night which has many thinking the 21-year-old may be moved. Making $900,000 on a one-way contract, Larsson has been bypassed on the depth chart by the likes of Damon Severson and Jon Merrill. There is a market for Larsson because of his age. “I’m just not sure what his value is,” says a league executive. “They can move him I’m just not sure what they’d get in return. The issue people have with him is he does stuff too slow and too methodical.”

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think the D core is soft per se, but it's bordering on it. I really think they need to be focusing on bringing in the right kind of D man for the top pairing, and they need to have at least a bit of moxy to their game. Anything else seems like a waste of assets, because they have most of the the D filled out for the foreseeable future with EJ, Barrie, Holden, and Stuart.

He's not a beast or anything, but I'm just having a hard time finding a good fit for the D apart from Staal. I really think they have to go after him hard. He at least will lean on guys and play tough in the playoffs. There's other guys that bring things that will help the team like Sekera, but it just doesn't seem hard enough to play against, and once they make that next move they're more or less locked into that group for a while.

I would have liked Gormley a year or so ago, or before I knew they were locked in with Stuart, but I don't think they need a defenseman at that point of their career right now.

Cambell's overall game has never impressed me enough, and I don't see a need with Barrie on the team. Don't like having multiple defenseman like that. At this point I think they just need to stay the course until the right move comes around, even if that means until summer.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't give up a top prospect for Campbell if that's the asking price but I'd love to get him. Can come in and immediately replace Holden on the top pairing and on the PP. We could really use him.

FoppaForsberg*

I'd be willing to give up Bleackley, not sure about Bigras, definitely not Siemens.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn't give up a top prospect for Campbell if that's the asking price but I'd love to get him. Can come in and immediately replace Holden on the top pairing and on the PP. We could really use him.

There's only so many spots open for change though. Bringing in Campbell helps the transition game, but that's not the problem IMO. The problem is forming a legit top pairing that can defend, but also be mobile enough the skate the puck out when need be.

Then they can push down a steady defensive partner for Barrie on the 2nd pairing. Whether that's Hejda, or Stuart, or Holden. I doubt Hejda re-signs at this point, and it's not clear how well Stuart and Holden will fit in long term in terms of bean steady defensively. So it becomes doubly important that the guy brought in has to be reliable defensively.

I'd be willing to give up Bleackley, not sure about Bigras, definitely not Siemens.

Given the makeup of the bottom six, and Tanguay and Iginla's age in the top six, along with O'Reilly and McGinn's expiring contracts in two years, I really think Bleackley is way more important than Bigras or Siemens. I don't see any situation it makes sense to move him unless for a similar forward.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There's only so many spots open for change though. Bringing in Campbell helps the transition game, but that's not the problem IMO. The problem is forming a legit top pairing that can defend, but also be mobile enough the skate the puck out when need be.

Then they can push down a steady defensive partner for Barrie on the 2nd pairing. Whether that's Hejda, or Stuart, or Holden. I doubt Hejda re-signs at this point, and it's not clear how well Stuart and Holden will fit in long term in terms of bean steady defensively. So it becomes doubly important that the guy brought in has to be reliable defensively.

The notion that Campbell can't defend is a myth. I also think our transition game is one of the biggest problems this team has. He wouldn't be my top choice and I wouldn't give up a lot for him but I think he would be a great fit. IMO, he would help EJ and our forwards a lot.

Sekera and Staal are the top choices but they're also probably unlikely because everyone who needs a defenseman will be chasing them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
avs cant start trading young talent for old vets or they'll get old very fast and the window will shrink very quickly

Speaking of, still waiting for your thoughts from the game ;)

And no, the idea is to not give away some of the few future assets we have. A team might not even consider any of our prospects "top". And 7M is not something we can take on anymore.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The notion that Campbell can't defend is a myth. I also think our transition game is one of the biggest problems this team has. He wouldn't be my top choice and I wouldn't give up a lot for him but I think he would be a great fit. IMO, he would help EJ and our forwards a lot.

Sekera and Staal are the top choices but they're also probably unlikely because everyone who needs a defenseman will be chasing them.

See I think people tried to convince people so hard that Campbell isn't a complete sieve defensively, that the real myth has turned into that he's good defensively. He's average at best, and at his age and point in his career, I only see that going downhill.

The Avs achilles heel for the last four to five years has been in defensive zone coverage, and it's in regard to defending the top lines with their top 4. So it's an issue of quality not quantity. The first few games are an aberration. They can score fine, and the forwards can get the puck on the breakout just fine.

It's the quality of chances against, and the amount of shots they give up that have plagued this team. A legit #1-2 D man that can defend is the only way to help that. Along with a true matchup 3rd line center, that's the only area of the roster that isn't covered.

If they can get both those positions covered, they'll essentially have a near perfect roster on paper in terms of the balance between offensive and defensive skill, and style of play.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Yup, the forwards just aren't playing as well as they can and both EJ and Barrie aren't in top form either. We still have a hole at #1LHD, but this team are better than the record and will get better as more guys get in the swing of things, gel, and iggy comes out of his annual start-of-season-goal-slump before getting to 30 again.

I would shake up the lines though, let ROR go back to dutchy's wing and let MacK take his lumps at C, we'll be a better team in the long run, and it could get the first line clicking as Duchene and McG are our only top 6ers who aren't playing poorly right now, with Tanguay rounding just-alright. Put Iginla or Tanguay next to Landy-MacK, McG or Iggy next to ROR-Duchene and have Malkin flanked by whoever's left over and Talbot or Everbeast. Briere can center McCleod and Everbeast or Talbs until Winchester gets back.

Yeah I feel the same way. Roy keeps trying MacK at center and if he isn't looking good he is too quick to put him back on wing. The only way that he becomes a franchise center and not a franchise winger is if he plays center. Might as well start the learning curve now and stick with him.

I hope that Hishon or Bleackley are future linemates unless the avs can find someone young and with decent speed to play with him and Lando. For the short term, I hope that Everberg can fill that role. I'd like to see RoR back with Duchene and Iginla. There's too much talent to suck forever and they surely would be beastly once they have chemistry.

Given the makeup of the bottom six, and Tanguay and Iginla's age in the top six, along with O'Reilly and McGinn's expiring contracts in two years, I really think Bleackley is way more important than Bigras or Siemens. I don't see any situation it makes sense to move him unless for a similar forward.

I agree that Bleackley is the most important prospect as too many Tangs and Iginla are too old to figure in the long term plans. And I hope that one of Bigras or Siemens makes the team next year. Well I'd really like it if Siemens can replace someone on the blueline this year. I'm really down on Guenin and would like him replaced with Redmond or someone from LEM. I'm also wondering if Wilson is done for good. He can't buy a break and I can't see him getting too many more chances. Just when you think he's looking decent, he gets hurt then usually comes back and struggles for the rest of the year.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I disagree that Bleackley is more important than Siemens or Bigras.
We have Landeskog (and for now ROR) as potential top line wingers.

You have and will always be able to find good wingers in UFA without overpaying too much. So if we don't maneuver us into a messy capsituation , we will be fine when Iggy and Tangs come off the book. Winger depth can also be built faster because they don't need as long to develop as Dmen do.

You don't find many quality defensemen in UFA. And they come at an enormous price (see: Orpik).

I like Bleackley but I would easily trade him before Siemens and maybe even Bigras.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad