Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I agree that a player who has only one or even two good seasons under their belt, while being RFA, should not be making that much money. I was just saying that agents being hard ball negotiators is a necessary thing for players in the league in general - including the UFA period. You need that type of negotiating and it has to apply to every player...you can't treat some players one way and other players another way, as an agent.

But I was not specifying RFA or one-year phenomenons; those players should not be rewarded as much as UFAs, in spite of their right to negotiate as though thy should be. In the end I should have been more clear since we were talking about RFAs ROR and Johansen.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I wonder if RyJo would still be doing this if CLB had another no.1 C in their system like a Duchene, or something. Where they could realistically still be producing offense without him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've thought about this a lot, through our situations and others' and I hear that a lot, that's it's a business and players have a right to get paid as much as they can and all that. I want players to get paid well, I respect that they are professional athletes, the best of the best and they have a limited time in their profession. But it simply isn't Joe Blow wanting to get paid as much as he can selling insurance or Farner a Bob selling his goat to the highest bidder. It's a complex situation and an even more complex market. Lit matey I think I've decided that technically no RFAs don't have the right to do whatever they want. When a player has earned the right to be a UFA then no tactic is wrong and it is a free market. Maybe right or wrong but it's written in the CBA like that. When the market is exactly one it's not much of a market. Players can't extort the team, as Columbus put it. Isn't fair that players can be oppressed too, playing for whatever the team sees fit to give them. But there is always the KHL and the like, players do have options. But to say it's just business to extort as much money out of one and only one team when you haven't earned the right to shop your services is becoming a problem.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In Johansen's case I guess both parties are really prepared to move on without eachother. You have to be in order to begin missing games. Who does it hurt more? Columbus missing a key piece or Johansen potentially getting paid zero in order to prove a point. There is no way Columbus will pay 6.5 or anywhere near it. Johansen's camp probably wants the meet in the middle ~5 mil. Maybe they need an offersheet to get it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeesh! Glad someone is willing to call out these agents. Overhardt has done this as much if not more than Newport. They really are trying to hijack the league, and every time a team caves that just gives the agents more ammunition the next summer.

Probably won't end well for the Jackets, but I hope they stick to their guns the whole year.

Why are you blaming the agent? If the player weren't down with this it wouldn't be happening.

Agents develop reputations, and certain types of players, or players in certain situations will seek out agents with certain reputations. Like turris wanting to leave the desert, or ryjo wanting an irrational amount of money. If those are things you need your agent to handle you're going to need a certain kind of agent.

So don't just bring up past incidents as though this agent having had other difficult clients lets those players off of the hook for making things difficult.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh sure, the player has to take responsibility too. They can say enough is enough, they call the shots. Certain agents have a history and reputation, these types of issues don't just appear out of thin air. But right, maybe certain players want hardline agents. And that's fine, I just hope they understand what they are getting into and what they are willing to do. But on the other hand, not every player that has these agents ends up going through difficult negotiations. Also, these players are still young and they chose their representation when they were even younger. So wonder who really made the decision to hire their agents?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In Johansen's case I guess both parties are really prepared to move on without eachother. You have to be in order to begin missing games. Who does it hurt more? Columbus missing a key piece or Johansen potentially getting paid zero in order to prove a point. There is no way Columbus will pay 6.5 or anywhere near it. Johansen's camp probably wants the meet in the middle ~5 mil. Maybe they need an offersheet to get it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I doubt both parties are ready to move on from each other.

Johansen is nowhere close to becoming a UFA and even if he were given an offersheet, I expect Columbus would match. The fans who are talking about Columbus pissing Johansan off so much, that he will bolt as a ufa , were probably in the old PK Subban threads discussing how Montreal management was ruining any chance of Subban staying in Montreal long term.

So long as Columbus eventually rewards RJ with a fat, long term deal ( in another 2 yrs) and so long as the Blue Jackets are a competitive, well run organization, I don't see RJ bolting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Senators and Marc Methot are just $300,000 per year apart in negotiations on a contract extension.

methot though, feels that he's getting traded. likely not the avs considering how crowded we are, if the trade happens soon.

I could easily see the Avs making room for him.

On RyJo... players ultimately call the shots. The players that hold out tend to be in 2 situations... either the player is a great player that is being hardheaded about a contract, or a team doesn't have cap space to give a fair deal. Columbus obviously has enough space.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 4 min
Staal believed to seeking around $6 million per, on six or seven-year deal. #NYR believed offering around $5.5 million for six years. (Post)

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I do really want Methot. And while we can fit him in cap wise, I doubt we use up all of our space like that, especially with bonuses to be paid to Mack.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I do really want Methot. And while we can fit him in cap wise, I doubt we use up all of our space like that, especially with bonuses to be paid to Mack.

At least 1 defensemen would be out (Hejda or Wilson seem like the top 2 bets), so at least 2.25m would be coming off the cap while 3.0 would be added. 750k isn't that much to be adding and could be found easily. If it was Hejda that was gone, the Avs would actually save money. In the offseason, the Avs have a crap ton of room.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
At least 1 defensemen would be out (Hejda or Wilson seem like the top 2 bets), so at least 2.25m would be coming off the cap while 3.0 would be added. 750k isn't that much to be adding and could be found easily. If it was Hejda that was gone, the Avs would actually save money. In the offseason, the Avs have a crap ton of room.

It's a bit of a lateral move to trade Hejda and bring in Methot. Sure, Methot may be a better skater at this point, but They are very close in most areas. My trade scenario had Elliot and pick(s) for Methot and Wilson being buried in LE. That left us with a few hundred K in cap space.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
We still don't know how Hejda will do this year and how those injuries are going to affect him. I don't know how effective he'll be this season. This could be his last year. I think his injuries and status are what prompted the Stuart trade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's a bit of a lateral move to trade Hejda and bring in Methot. Sure, Methot may be a better skater at this point, but They are very close in most areas. My trade scenario had Elliot and pick(s) for Methot and Wilson being buried in LE. That left us with a few hundred K in cap space.

Methot is significantly better than Hejda right now... I would imagine that any deal for Methot would be something like that, maybe Wilson gets thrown in as a cap dump, but that would be roughly what would happen IMO. Hejda would be a separate deal (Ottawa wouldn't want him) to clear cap and roster room if Wilson wasn't included.

I'm not a fan of this, but I don't think Hejda will be an Av next summer and could possibly be gone by mid-season. IMO the sequence of events this summer signals that management was clearly trying to replace him.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The Senators and Marc Methot are just $300,000 per year apart in negotiations on a contract extension.

methot though, feels that he's getting traded. likely not the avs considering how crowded we are, if the trade happens soon.

We could make room for him, though I doubt we will.

Getting very ugly between Columbus and Johansen. John Davidson isn't happy....

A lot more here: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blue-jackets-president-john-davidson-turns-both-barrels-on-johansens-agent/

I know it's a business, but it is really irritating when a player has one decent or good season and then demands 5-6+ mil on a contract.

If you have a pattern of solid or better seasons for a 2-3 year period and then ask for a good raise as a RFA then yes it's warranted to demand that price. But he has 1 season in which he scored double digit goals, 1 season in which he has eclipsed 30 pts, 1 season in which he has a positive +/- rating.
Don't get me wrong, RyJo is developing into one hell of a player.
He is likely to be a stud in the future.

There is no leg to truly stand on with this. You are not a unrestricted FA and teams do not sign offer sheets like they used to due to the compensation required.
If he is a UFA then he can demand the moon and get it from some team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Methot is significantly better than Hejda right now... I would imagine that any deal for Methot would be something like that, maybe Wilson gets thrown in as a cap dump, but that would be roughly what would happen IMO. Hejda would be a separate deal (Ottawa wouldn't want him) to clear cap and roster room if Wilson wasn't included.

I'm not a fan of this, but I don't think Hejda will be an Av next summer and could possibly be gone by mid-season. IMO the sequence of events this summer signals that management was clearly trying to replace him.

I agree I don't see Hejda here next summer. He will be what, 38 then? I think he probably heads back across the pond to play a few more years. Methot would be a great replacement since he is much younger and both play a similar style of hockey. But I want to win this year, so I would try to keep Hejda while adding Methot. Wilson, on the other hand, has no place here. If Ottawa for some reason wanted him, done deal. But in all likelyhood, we would need to just bury him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree I don't see Hejda here next summer. He will be what, 38 then? I think he probably heads back across the pond to play a few more years. Methot would be a great replacement since he is much younger and both play a similar style of hockey. But I want to win this year, so I would try to keep Hejda while adding Methot. Wilson, on the other hand, has no place here. If Ottawa for some reason wanted him, done deal. But in all likelyhood, we would need to just bury him.

It would probably be a case where the Avs added a bit of incentive to take on the rest of Wilson's contract. Likely and extra/better pick or prospect.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't know if the stuff between the Avs and O'Reilly was as bad or not, but at least they kept it out of the media.

Assumingly, given the 2 years that have passed since signing, ROR's bridge deal would be a good standard for Johansen. 5mil AAV. It's also right in the middle of the 3.5mil and 6.5mil divide the two sides have.

In this situation I would blame both parties personally. With the Avs-ROR one, it's definitely more of the Avs fault for not coming up a little more and securing that long term deal ROR was considering (how amazing would it be to have him at 4.25mil for another 3 years?!).

Definitely sounds like Columbus will be moving Johansen in the future to avoid his agent if they can't lock him up for 6-8 years. Rychel might even have to go too at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia