Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Bissonnette got a PTO with the Blues. Would've thought he'd go to a shallower team. And the Blues already have Reaves.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 40 min
Meanwhile, NSH RFA D Ryan Ellis is nowhere close to a new deal with the Predators. Talks apparently not going well at all.

Hard guy to put a number on. Small guy that's not a good skater but has good offensive skills. He obviously is useful on a PP, but with Josi, Jones and Weber there will he ever be on the first PP?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You never know. Are there usually this many hold outs or does it just seem like there's more then usual?

Cap going up and more RFAs get long term second contracts. It's not surprising that negotiations are hard because it's not automatic that a player will get a bridge deal anymore.

Most of the contracts signed in September have been very reasonable, so it once camp nears most players sign because they want to play. I think Johansen might be trickier. Player with an ego and agent with a history of being conflict orientated.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Let's just hope Schwartz and Dillon have lengthy contract disputes which keep them out at least through training camp. St. Louis missing one of their top scorers, and Dallas missing their top defenceman? Yes please.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 40 min
Meanwhile, NSH RFA D Ryan Ellis is nowhere close to a new deal with the Predators. Talks apparently not going well at all.

He never seemed to fit there for me. They should have traded him along time ago, like after the 2010 WJC when his value was sky high.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Back to the Hejda/Stuart discussion, there's already 2 very capable replacements for them waiting in the wings; Siemens and Geertsen.

They're both exactly what Roy wants to see in his D (big, physical shutdown D that can skate) and with Foote mentoring them there's almost no way they won't be solid NHLers.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Getting very ugly between Columbus and Johansen. John Davidson isn't happy....

“It makes no sense, Davidson said. “When you see numbers that are thrown at us, we shouldn’t even respond. That’s how bad it is. It’s embarrassing. And if the kid sits out, he sits out. I wonder if the agent’s going to pay him his money back that he’s going to lose by sitting out.

“With the numbers they come back with…are so one-sided it’s nonsensical. It’s extortion is what it is. I don’t make this stuff up. I’ve been in this league doing this for a long time now and this one here, it’s baffling is what it is. This one’s baffling. Baffling.”

A lot more here: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blue-jackets-president-john-davidson-turns-both-barrels-on-johansens-agent/

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was just about to post that. WOW. I still believe it will eventually work out but Johansen is going to have to be prepared to sit out a long time. I agree with almost everything Columbus is saying except for why they can't meet in the middle. Then again if 3.5 on a bridge is still a benchmark for young forwards I understand not just going to 4.5 for the heck of it. Who else does this agent represent? I don't think any of our guys. Bleackley has Duchene/MacK's agent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Back to the Hejda/Stuart discussion, there's already 2 very capable replacements for them waiting in the wings; Siemens and Geertsen.

They're both exactly what Roy wants to see in his D (big, physical shutdown D that can skate) and with Foote mentoring them there's almost no way they won't be solid NHLers.

Yeah, Gaertsen has me excited. If he keeps up the progress I'm pretty sure won't be extending Holden when his deal expires because he no longer has a place with us. With next season's FA, Bigras, Siemens and now Gaertsen that left side should infinitely stronger over the coming years.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't know if the stuff between the Avs and O'Reilly was as bad or not, but at least they kept it out of the media.

hs431u.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Getting very ugly between Columbus and Johansen. John Davidson isn't happy....

A lot more here: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blue-jackets-president-john-davidson-turns-both-barrels-on-johansens-agent/

Yeesh! Glad someone is willing to call out these agents. Overhardt has done this as much if not more than Newport. They really are trying to hijack the league, and every time a team caves that just gives the agents more ammunition the next summer.

Probably won't end well for the Jackets, but I hope they stick to their guns the whole year.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Yeesh! Glad someone is willing to call out these agents. Overhardt has done this as much if not more than Newport. They really are trying to hijack the league, and every time a team caves that just gives the agents more ammunition the next summer.

Probably won't end well for the Jackets, but I hope they stick to their guns the whole year.

Agree. And that is why I am now for trading ROR. He was my favorite player but get him and his heathen of an agent the F out of here.

Teams need to stand up. Problem is that there are goofballs like Snow, Feaster, and Holmgren that screw it up. There will always be one GM that will cave and pay through the nose.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I respect the players' rights to negotiate this way and demand as much money as they can get. They are a necessary part of the league, because without them players would be continuously screwed. It's a balance. But on the Avs I want players who respect the logo and the legendary teams it represents. Players who care more about dollars than the team should apply elsewhere (or be traded).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I respect the players' rights to negotiate this way and demand as much money as they can get. They are a necessary part of the league, because without them players would be continuously screwed. It's a balance. But on the Avs I want players who respect the logo and the legendary teams it represents. Players who care more about dollars than the team should apply elsewhere (or be traded).

Disagree. UFA balances things. That's where players get overpaid on the open market, and it drives salaries upwards every year for the players.

Holding your team ransom and asking to be paid as much as you would earn if you've already proven yourself is a totally different story. If players are successfully holding out to be paid more than they're worth on their 2nd contracts, you can't build a team in the cap world.

It's not at that point yet, but it's only going to get worse when agents see that it keeps working. It's the give a mouse a cookie scenario. They're just going to keep pushing it further and further with their clients every year. Even ones that aren't the caliber of Johansen and O'Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad