Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I dunno, he's a good player but he's kind of a jerk that's easy to hate. I kind of want to slap him in the back of head real hard and I'm not even sure why.

I don't see where he fits in with our group, he has a questionable history when it comes to injuries and would likely require a lot to acquire. Even as a UFA, I'd have to really think about how he'd fit in on our team. I don't see it at all.

RW on the Stastny line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kesler would be an awesome Stastny replacement if the worst happened, but I don't see the Avs being willing to part with the necessary pieces to get the deal done. At very minimum it would take 2014 1st + McGinn + Siemens +... even then they would get better offers from Anaheim and Pittsburgh.

There's a few downsides to acquiring Kesler, aside from the cost in trade. The first is he's a POS, and it would be hard to get used to him wearing an Avs jersey.

The second is he only has two years left on his deal at $5M. By the time this team is competing, they'll have to give him more money than they're facing giving Stastny. Kind of defeats he purpose.

I do like the idea of getting bigger and stronger up the middle though. As good as some of the Avs are defensively, I think that hurts their match ups not having that dynamic up the middle. That's what they should target as a Mitchell replacement IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't give up what they'd want for Kesler but it's nice to see us on that list.

When Roy was introduced he said he's hoping one day players like Iginla say they want to go to Colorado to win, just like they do for a team like Pittsburgh. We haven't gotten to that level yet but we're included in some pretty good company here.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There's a few downsides to acquiring Kesler, aside from the cost in trade. The first is he's a POS, and it would be hard to get used to him wearing an Avs jersey.

The second is he only has two years left on his deal at $5M. By the time this team is competing, they'll have to give him more money than they're facing giving Stastny. Kind of defeats he purpose.

I do like the idea of getting bigger and stronger up the middle though. As good as some of the Avs are defensively, I think that hurts their match ups not having that dynamic up the middle. That's what they should target as a Mitchell replacement IMO.

Pepe wasn't a stand up citizen either, then there's Simon, Foppa (I love him, but I'm sure other teams fans hated him), Kaspar, Footer etc.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pepe wasn't a stand up citizen either, then there's Simon, Foppa (I love him, but I'm sure other teams fans hated him), Kaspar, Footer etc.

Yea but we started with most of those players, so we didn't have to get used to them.

I just don't like Kesler. Good hockey player, but a very dirty player as well. He also may be the worse diver in the league, and cries his eyes out to the refs over every little call, obvious or not. Such an annoying presence.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yea but we started with all those players (except Kaspar whom we didn't see much in the east), so we didn't have to get used to them.

I just don't like Kesler. Good hockey player, but a very dirty player as well. He also may be the worse diver in the league, and cries his eyes out to the refs over every little call, obvious or not. Such an annoying presence.

Well, there were also May and Downie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well, there were also May and Downie.

Took a long time for the fanbase and myself to warm up to May. Downie was kinda like Kaspar and to an extent Lemiex where they played in the other conference for a long time prior, so they hadn't built up a bad taste in everyones mouths yet.

I've seen way too much of Kesler's smug face at this point.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after the most recent trade request talks and all that in the media afterwards. Even if the Canucks are more or less a tire fire you shouldn't act like that.

The diving doesn't help.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kesler is a classic love him if you have him on your team, hate him if he isn't sort of player. Like I said, if the worst happened with Statsny and he was going to walk, Kesler would be a great (maybe the best) option to step into the #2C role and he has played a lot of wing in the past so he could here too. The concern with him shouldn't be his attitude, contract, diving, etc.... it should be his regression. He is on the downhill of his career and it is showing.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Kesler is a classic love him if you have him on your team, hate him if he isn't sort of player. Like I said, if the worst happened with Statsny and he was going to walk, Kesler would be a great (maybe the best) option to step into the #2C role and he has played a lot of wing in the past so he could here too. The concern with him shouldn't be his attitude, contract, diving, etc.... it should be his regression. He is on the downhill of his career and it is showing.
The biggest concern would be actually acquiring him. I'd love Kesler if he was on the Avs. The problem is that the Avs have nothing they could realistically move to get him. My guess is that Kesler goes to the Penguins this off-season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The biggest concern would be actually acquiring him. I'd love Kesler if he was on the Avs. The problem is that the Avs have nothing they could realistically move to get him. My guess is that Kesler goes to the Penguins this off-season.

You are forgetting this is Gillis... he will reject every offer until he gets the one he wants. He will never get that deal, but the situation will become so untenable that he will make a terrible trade. :laugh:

I'm only half serious.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't trade O'Reilly straight up for Kesler and we don't have other assets to get it done. It also goes against everything Roy was just saying about building from the ground up. It still wouldn't be enough but you'll probably need to give up your top two prospects and a first round pick for him. He'll be 30 years old at the start of next season with a lot of wear and tear on his body. No thanks.

If they're actually willing to part with those assets, how about doing something about this defense?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
You are forgetting this is Gillis... he will reject every offer until he gets the one he wants. He will never get that deal, but the situation will become so untenable that he will make a terrible trade. :laugh:

I'm only half serious.
Well to be honest, the offers he apparently got at the deadline were pathetic. The under 25 center, good prospect(ideally a forward) and a pick that it's rumored the Canucks want seems fairly reasonable. He should at least get what Jordan Staal fetched if not more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well to be honest, the offers he apparently got at the deadline were pathetic. The under 25 center, good prospect(ideally a forward) and a pick that it's rumored the Canucks want seems fairly reasonable. He should at least get what Jordan Staal fetched if not more.

I disagree. J. Staal had more value because he was young, thought to have big potential still, and was just entering his prime (he has been disappointing though). Kesler is on the downside of his career and is now more of a 25-25 player with great defensive skills.

The best Vancouver will get is a young top 6/top 4 skater + 1st round pick + A- prospect (not top prospect but legitimate top 6/top4 potential player that is fairly safe to make it)

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I disagree. J. Staal had more value because he was young, thought to have big potential still, and was just entering his prime (he has been disappointing though). Kesler is on the downside of his career and is now more of a 25-25 player with great defensive skills.

The best Vancouver will get is a young top 6/top 4 skater + 1st round pick + A- prospect (not top prospect but legitimate top 6/top4 potential player that is fairly safe to make it)

Staal also turned down a 10 year 60 million per year deal from the Pens. He had a year left on his contract when he was traded but everyone knew the only team he would sign with was Carolina. For everyone else he was a rental. The Canucks will at least have a few more option with Kesler.

And yes, people though Staal had potential to be more, but Kesler has proven way way more than Staal had at the time of the trade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Staal also turned down a 10 year 60 million per year deal from the Pens. He had a year left on his contract when he was traded but everyone knew the only team he would sign with was Carolina. For everyone else he was a rental. The Canucks will at least have a few more option with Kesler.

And yes, people though Staal had potential to be more, but Kesler has proven way way more than Staal had at the time of the trade.

Really, there were only two options on that list... Anaheim and Pittsburgh. Colorado isn't going to pay, same with Tampa. Detroit doesn't have the high end assets they are willing to part with. Chicago won't have the cap room in the end, and won't give up their top prospect talent. The two teams that were in it, are going to be the two that continue fighting over him... and Pittsburgh really doesn't need him in the end so they won't pay an exorbitant amount for him.

Potential means an awful lot to teams, and Kesler now isn't the Kesler of 4 years ago GMs know and see this. This will all be answered at some point over the next two seasons.

member 116861

Hell no to Kesler, I wouldn't take that ***** on this team for free. The best thing about this team is that they play with honesty and integrity. We don't need Kesler coming in and ruining that. **** him.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Ryan Suter is averaging 29:59 per game, that is nuts. I've never seen anything like it outside of the post-season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ryan Suter is averaging 29:59 per game, that is nuts. I've never seen anything like it outside of the post-season.

Adrian Aucoin (NYI) was averaging even more than that per game (though I don't know if it was a season-long average or just a stretch of games) back when Laviolette was coach and Yashin, Parrish, and Peca were on the team. Aucoin, Kenny Jonsson, and Roman Hamrlik were their version of the "Big Three." It all pretty much fell apart the next season.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Adrian Aucoin (NYI) was averaging even more than that per game (though I don't know if it was a season-long average or just a stretch of games) back when Laviolette was coach and Yashin, Parrish, and Peca were on the team. Aucoin, Kenny Jonsson, and Roman Hamrlik were their version of the "Big Three." It all pretty much fell apart the next season.

You're right, two seasons in a row;

Aucoin: 28:53 - 29:00
Hamrlik: 25:31 - 26:34
Jonsson: 25:33 - 23:11

Niinima also averaged a ton of ice time that second season - 23:02.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Chris Pronger and Al MacInnis used to both regularly log more than 29 minutes per game. Pronger would average more than 30 minutes per game... he'd literally be on the ice for more than half of the hockey game.

98-99 Blues: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=19992STLSASALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

Pronger: 30:36

99-00 Blues: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20002STLSASALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

Pronger: 30:14

I can't remember which game it was, but in the 99-00 season, there was a playoff game where MacInnis went down early and Pronger logged something stupid like 40 minutes of the 60 minute game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad