Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The essence of what I am saying is that the Avs target certain players and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get them, even if it is above perceived market value. They don't care about the assets as much as getting the player they want.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would bet the Oilers would give their 1st+another team's 2nd next year for Varly. Other team's around the league in need of a goalie would have payed that price too now that they know what Varly is capable of. For comparison sake, Schneider returned a 9th overall pick.

I'd say clear wins (no overpayment) for the Avs were:
-Winnik for 4th
-Galiardi, Winnik for McGinn
-Downie for Quincey
-Tanguay, Sarich for Jones, O'Brien.

I think at this point, teams would pay a fair amount more then what the Avs gave up for Varly.

A 25 year old goalie, looking like he's well on his way to being a Vezina finalist this year, and possibly even win the damn thing, who is also about to enter year 1 of a good 5 year contract. Oh and did I mention he is still only 25 years old?

If he comes Top 3 in Vezina votes this year, I'd argue he may be on of the Top 3 most valuable goalies in the league. If he wins the Vezina, he could very well be the most valuable goalie. He's the youngest starter in the league already(He and Bernier, with Price not far behind), signed to a longterm contract, and(in this potential scenario) a Vezina Winner already.

IMO that resumè puts him at the top of the league in Goalie value. At the very least it'd be Top 3 along with Price and Quick.

I think teams would give up a kings ransom for that Varly.

As for the list of clear wins via trade for the Avs. I would add the Varly trade for sure. I would also add the Liles for a 2nd trade to that list as well. Its funny that when the Avs made that trade, we were all generally pissed we didnt get more for him, but after he left here and went to Toronto his play never came close to how he played for us. Seems now like the Avs new he was about to hit that peak and a steep cliff was right there. The Leafs couldnt give him away for free this year.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Friedman:
3. It is believed the six teams to which Kesler would accept a deal at the deadline were Anaheim, Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. Only two -- the Ducks and Penguins -- were really in it, though.

It's been a very long time since Avs were on those kinds of lists.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I would at the very least expect Varly to be in consideration...and who knows, if he steals a playoff series (or two!) that could sway voters.

I meant that it's not crazy 3 years later he's in the talks for Vezina. To me anyway.

Personally, I don't think he'll win it this year. Might make it in the final 3, depending on how things go from here. Price injury helps his case as well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So now we have to suffer a two front war of Edler for O'Reilly and Kesler for O'Reilly proposals?

Loved the picture. If only they knew...

aquilini-torts-gillis-620-thumb-620xauto-355009.jpg

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Nice to know that we are becoming a destination for the big names again. It's pretty amazing that we went from attracting no one to being a top 6 destination for someone like Ryan Kesler.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd love Kesler but I wouldn't be willing to give up what it would take. Plus we're set at centre.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kesler would be an awesome Stastny replacement if the worst happened, but I don't see the Avs being willing to part with the necessary pieces to get the deal done. At very minimum it would take 2014 1st + McGinn + Siemens +... even then they would get better offers from Anaheim and Pittsburgh.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Who needs wingers?

O'Reilly-Duchene-MacKinnon
Mitchell-Kesler-Stastny

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yep, nice compliment to hear we were one of the select few.

I pretty much operate under the assumption that all Avs will get screwed out of awards so I haven't really given Varly as a Vezina finalist much thought. Wins are great, Sv% is good but GAA is going to hurt, no? Aren't the obvious ones Bishop, Rask, Niemi? Tampa has lost 10/13 of their last games so I guess Bishop (and Cooper) could lose ground in the race. Don't they vote before playoffs?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Vezina is between Rask, Varly, Bishop, Price, and Bernier. They all have good resumes, and it will be very close between them all. Varly has wins and faces a lot of shots (3rd in the league). Bernier is carrying a mediocre team and faces a lot of shots (2nd in the league). Rask is all around awesome. Price is having a good season, but is a lot of hype. Bishop is coming back down to earth.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So now we have to suffer a two front war of Edler for O'Reilly and Kesler for O'Reilly proposals?

Loved the picture. If only they knew...

aquilini-torts-gillis-620-thumb-620xauto-355009.jpg

Who's the guy on the left? Aquilini? Looks like Jamie McGinn aged 30 years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Vezina is between Rask, Varly, Bishop, Price, and Bernier. They all have good resumes, and it will be very close between them all. Varly has wins and faces a lot of shots (3rd in the league). Bernier is carrying a mediocre team and faces a lot of shots (2nd in the league). Rask is all around awesome. Price is having a good season, but is a lot of hype. Bishop is coming back down to earth.

Varlamov is absolutely in the Vezina talk, and definitely should be above Bishop and Rask currently. Price is probably the frontrunner with Varlamov and Bernier battling for that second spot.

Only problem is Varlamov's lack of shutouts might hurt his chances in the future.

Count me as another one who had no clue that he was an Avs fan, I would love to take him....but in reality I highly doubt he will come here.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Varlamov is absolutely in the Vezina talk, and definitely should be above Bishop and Rask currently. Price is probably the frontrunner with Varlamov and Bernier battling for that second spot.

Only problem is Varlamov's lack of shutouts might hurt his chances in the future.

Count me as another one who had no clue that he was an Avs fan, I would love to take him....but in reality I highly doubt he will come here.

I dunno, he's a good player but he's kind of a jerk that's easy to hate. I kind of want to slap him in the back of head real hard and I'm not even sure why.

I don't see where he fits in with our group, he has a questionable history when it comes to injuries and would likely require a lot to acquire. Even as a UFA, I'd have to really think about how he'd fit in on our team. I don't see it at all.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kesler would be a fantastic option if Stastny does indeed walk.

Doubt we have what the Nucks would want though.

2015 1st + McGinn + Elliott/Siemens

Probably the most I'd offer. the 2015 1st should have a significant amount of value, especially compared to a 2014 1st.

ROR - Duchene - PAP
Landy - Kesler - Mackinnon
Talbot - UFA 3C - Tanguay

We'd be even deeper if we could sign Stas back as well :laugh: but that would be the ultimate pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad