Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm okay with bringing in Arnott, Gomez, Moore, etc. if we know we are going to try to go the season without ROR. If ROR is going to be signed within the next few days and be on the team there is no reason to sign any of those players.

That said, I think Mitchell will be a bit of a surprise. He can hold his own in a 3rd line role. The part that sucks the most is that Stastny will get the hardest assignments instead of ROR, which means that we need Duchene to step up more than ever (I think he can, and will be close to a PPG this season).

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So, Ryan O'Reilly. Lots of speculation about potentially trading him. Avs need young defenseman, potentially include Meehan client Ryan Wilson.

Caps probably can't put Carlson on the table, who just signed a long-term RFA deal for just under $4M. Orlov, however, is a different story, especially since Wilson can immediately step into a 2nd pair role (assuming his concussion issues aren't bothering him). IMO he'd be a perfect partner for Mike Green. Caps have the depth at D right now to move Orlov (or Schilling, or Kundratek, though Orlov is the most desirable of that bunch).

The case for Orlov: He got a bunch of games toward the end of last season, and didn't look out of place. He made some rookie mistakes, but it was pretty clear that his potential is quite high. He's a good hitter (hip check anybody?) and has a monster point shot.

The case against Orlov: He got sent down at the end of the season in favor of veterans for the playoff run. Whether that was due to mediocre play (he tailed off a bit as the games got tougher) or just Hunter's strange lineup philosophy (Beagle getting more minutes than Ovechkin...), we'll never know. He hasn't reached his potential yet, and would need a veteran (perhaps Hejda) to mentor him.

For an O'Reilly + Wilson package, since Orlov is relatively unproven, Caps would have to include an established forward to replace O'Reilly's bottom six role. Laich is the obvious choice, on a long-term deal for $4.5M, with the ability to be a good shutdown 3C, but also with the flexibility to play either wing or D. Johansson would be another option; a defensively responsible Swede, but there are questions as to whether he'll end up a C or W. Johansson's scoring was significantly better at W than C last season.

I don't know whether there are other attractive options. Discuss?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs and Caps are a poor fit. Pretty much the only player that's a good fit for Avs is Alzner and he's not going anywhere.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
So, Ryan O'Reilly. Lots of speculation about potentially trading him. Avs need young defenseman, potentially include Meehan client Ryan Wilson.

Caps probably can't put Carlson on the table, who just signed a long-term RFA deal for just under $4M. Orlov, however, is a different story, especially since Wilson can immediately step into a 2nd pair role (assuming his concussion issues aren't bothering him). IMO he'd be a perfect partner for Mike Green. Caps have the depth at D right now to move Orlov (or Schilling, or Kundratek, though Orlov is the most desirable of that bunch).

The case for Orlov: He got a bunch of games toward the end of last season, and didn't look out of place. He made some rookie mistakes, but it was pretty clear that his potential is quite high. He's a good hitter (hip check anybody?) and has a monster point shot.

The case against Orlov: He got sent down at the end of the season in favor of veterans for the playoff run. Whether that was due to mediocre play (he tailed off a bit as the games got tougher) or just Hunter's strange lineup philosophy (Beagle getting more minutes than Ovechkin...), we'll never know. He hasn't reached his potential yet, and would need a veteran (perhaps Hejda) to mentor him.

For an O'Reilly + Wilson package, since Orlov is relatively unproven, Caps would have to include an established forward to replace O'Reilly's bottom six role. Laich is the obvious choice, on a long-term deal for $4.5M, with the ability to be a good shutdown 3C, but also with the flexibility to play either wing or D. Johansson would be another option; a defensively responsible Swede, but there are questions as to whether he'll end up a C or W. Johansson's scoring was significantly better at W than C last season.

I don't know whether there are other attractive options. Discuss?

I can see your thinking but im not sure if Orlov is enough of an upgrade to warrant swapping O'Reilly and Laich.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I can see your thinking but im not sure if Orlov is enough of an upgrade to warrant swapping O'Reilly and Laich.

Laich isn't the only option mentioned, but I agree. I don't think Orlov is an upgrade at all right now over Wilson. They're very similar in current ability and not at all similar in upside. Same with Laich and O'Reilly. Johansson is an option who's not as good as Laich right now but has better potential - risk is that he doesn't develop as a C.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm going to say that it will end up being O'Reilly, Wilson, and a 2nd for Gormley and Hanzal. Avs get a stud D prospect who is getting close to making the jump to the NHL along with a solid 3rd line center to replace O'Reilly. Phoenix get a young stud center to build around, plus a solid defensemen and a pick to help balance out value.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm going to say that it will end up being O'Reilly, Wilson, and a 2nd for Gormley and Hanzal. Avs get a stud D prospect who is getting close to making the jump to the NHL along with a solid 3rd line center to replace O'Reilly. Phoenix get a young stud center to build around, plus a solid defensemen and a pick to help balance out value.

Didn't you hear? Phoenix just got Matthew Lombardi to solve their C problems for the next decade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Not bad, but I'd rather give up more to get Yandle. Still I wouldn't mind Gormley or Hanzal being on the Avs.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

They better ship him out East.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I would hate to trade O'Reilly but if anything I would trade him for a young winger that scores... Talent really.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That is a solid signing by St. Louis. I would be up for Redden if we didn't have half of our defensive core with the same skill set.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Canucks sign Edler to an extension.

Good player, I wonder how much he got.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Six years, $30 million for Edler.

Solid deal for the Canucks. One of the few players I like on their team.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That is actually a great deal for Vancouver.

Damn :( was hoping we could try and get him this offseason. He would have looked great with Johnson IMO

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think it's the super steal some think it is. Edler is good, but he's better as part of a deep defense. When he is expected to be 'the man' I think he is a bit underwhelming.

Excellent on the PP though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think it's the super steal some think it is. Edler is good, but he's better as part of a deep defense. When he is expected to be 'the man' I think he is a bit underwhelming.

Excellent on the PP though.

He's not a #1 d-man but I think he's a very good #2. IMO, he's worth $5M/yr. Avs could use a guy like him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's not a #1 d-man but I think he's a very good #2. IMO, he's worth $5M/yr. Avs could use a guy like him.

If Avs would have gotten him for $5.5M/year this summer it would have been a good signing. But we have a merry bunch of misfits here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Purely speculation, but I've got a strong hunch Barrie is being showcased. I wouldn't be shocked to see an O'Reilly+Barrie package for something as early as tonight if Barrie doesn't look too out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad