In one sentence, what's wrong with this team?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Feel like we should treat this logically. Clearly team isn't meshing. On paper they should be doing really well. Before making more big trades or what not it would be easier to switch coaches and still see. If not then move players after that. Because we moved players and we still are meh. And a lot of us suspect it has to do with babcock. But even if it doesn't, imo it still is the most logical thing to do.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bell and Rogers hired Shanahan who hired Dubas who sold the sturdy players and made us weak.

Reactions: Legendary

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We'd look so much better with Komarov, Polak, and Marleau right now, huh?

Komarov probably. I don't care about the other guys but if we did not overpay for our players the Marleu contract is not an issue. The Ceci deal doesn't need to happen. Jake is signed for 4m x4. We have Kadri.

I don't know man lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Komarov probably. I don't care about the other guys but if we did not overpay for our players the Marleu contract is not an issue. The Ceci deal doesn't need to happen. Jake is signed for 4m x4. We have Kadri.

I don't know man lol

Sorry - I can't take anyone seriously who suggests that Jake coming back would have been a good idea.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That the only thing that is consistent with this team is that they are inconsistent.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Cannot do it in one sentence. We were on the right track when we tanked and were able to draft Matthews to go with Marner. However, we sped up the rebuild by signing Tavares, when everyone and their dog knew we needed help on defence. Then, Dubas made another huge mistake by caving in to Nylander, overpaying him by one and a half to two million (some could argue, and rightly so, by three or more). And then declaring to anyone willing to listen, that the “big three” would all be able to be re-signed.
Dubas is so full of himself, it’s sickening. Thinking this team could win with so much being spent on just 4 forwards, while leaving nowhere near enough to be spent for help on defence. He is such a DUMBASS!!!
I don’t care for Babcock. Sure, he’s won gold in the Olympics, but with a stacked team. And what about while he was in Detroit with those stacked teams? I believe he only won one Cup (I could be wrong on this). We need a coach who is willing to adapt to change during the game, and who can relate better to the players.
Sorry for my long-winded reply.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sorry - I can't take anyone seriously who suggests that Jake coming back would have been a good idea.

He is a good defender. Take his 5pts and -1 over Barrie and his extremely sloppy -5 and 5pts. Kadri is a no go as well? Why not just appeal to authority since nobody can actually prove Gardiner is a bad D outside saying game 7.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He is a good defender. Take his 5pts and -1 over Barrie and his extremely sloppy -5 and 5pts. Kadri is a no go as well? Why not just appeal to authority since nobody can actually prove Gardiner is a bad D outside saying game 7.

What appeal to authority lol? Are Gardiner's parents posters here or something?

He crumbled under pressure far too frequently here, and that wasn't just in game 7s.

I'm glad he's gone, and I'm also not making any conclusions about Barrie after a FIFTEEN game segment on his first new NHL team.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Team defense
Until the forwards are committed to play in the defensive end nothing will change .
Just like last yr and the yr before.
Can't always blame the defence and goaltending.
Our forwards play a soft defence stick check.
Thats part of it for sure but nobody could have fixed some of scarries errors a couple of games ago.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What appeal to authority lol? Are Gardiner's parents posters here or something?

He crumbled under pressure far too frequently here, and that wasn't just in game 7s.

I'm glad he's gone, and I'm also not making any conclusions about Barrie after a FIFTEEN game segment on his first new NHL team.

You havent watched Barrie. Hr is and never was a Stalwart defensively. How can we take you seriously if you didn't know this. Everyone involved in the game knows Barrie needs sheltered and PP time in spades to produce.

Sorru man, your guy Kyle Dubois made a mess

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Everything about this organization is Disney channelish

From top top bottom. Soft GM, stubborn coach who's more worried about being a life coach with good pro as opposed to being a hockey coach

Organization that wants to come off as a social media company, saying the right stuff, looking super sharp

There's no grit or nastyiness anywhere. I miss the feel of a hockey team. This team is too corporate.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Real teambuilding, call everybody in sick, play the ahl team and put the NHL players on a desert island a weak or two.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
For some reason they are trying to shoe horn a fat mens foot into a ladies high heel shoe.

It's obviously uncomfortable for both the foot and the shoe.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
We'd look so much better with Komarov, Polak, and Marleau right now, huh?

If they didn't cost too much, yes.

A fired up Tom Wilson would have a questionable hit in his first game as a Leaf, get suspended for 10 games, then be utterly toothless for the rest of his days as a Toronto Maple Leaf.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
The injury thing is BS. Tavares started the season and they still looked mediocre. If the amount of so called elite talent can't get without Hyman, then we should take a nuke to the team now and save the anguish of watching them struggle for the next five to seven years.

The back to back thing is the lamest of all excuses.

It's all sad. The GM stripped the team of any poison or identity.

Hyman, Dermott, Tavares, Muzzin now...

It's not been a settled start.

I'm not going to be slitting my wrists this early on.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What Happens When Someone Believes in You? When someone believes in you, everything can change — fear decreases, confidence increases, the bravery to aim higher and take a leap grows.

We only have one thing we can control, that's ourselves when it comes to these players if we do our part the rest will follow. I'm sure you we all know that with every action there's an opposite reaction. I can guess most would know the opposite to the statement above so why don't we start believing in our team. Let's do our part, you wanted to boo this organization you missed your chance 9 out of 10 seasons 4 years ago, time to move on. If that's what you remember most so of our fan base remember the owner trader our best players friend and fellow star player just to teach them a lesson. Then again you might remember other bad years. One that stands out is Larry Murphy and Jamie Macon one heck of a player we need more of now but did not put up points. Yet both were pushed out by the fans not giving them an honest shot. Heck the M. O. ON Gardiner is the same crapola again. Just enjoy a team that yeah we have to believe in, like it or not soon this team might become to good. Your friends might not let you bandwagon when things get good I get we all have opinions and sometimes they are right. Thing is right now this teams something that could be special it's time to do our part. Remember to be constructive in crucial criticism, there's a reason all players go back to there home franchises it's because of mutual respect and appreciation. You won't find to many players that would sit in a room with people and let them same so and so is dirty piece of ground findings all night. At the end of the day they made it we didn't let's enjoy the ones that let us still hopfully live out our dream of a cup I know if I switched teams it would feel hollow. I'm not saying blindly love this team, but this is the time we should respect what we have and the rest follows. Looks what the raptors pulled off that was a nation of people that rallyed behind them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad