In one sentence, what's wrong with this team?

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
In Babock, I don't trust... then just our weak backup goalie role and a GRITTY Legit top D to play with Rielly, or two, and we're pretty much solid, aside from... did I mention already? a Players Coach, that lives in the 21st Century of today's NHL, that doesn't start with a M?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Over the last while?

Goalkeeping.

Going back this calendar year?

Goalkeeping.

We used to have goalkeeping that well outperformed a mediocre defense.....over the last while we have had lousy goalkeeping under performing an average defense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The problem with this team is the high turnover rate on the roster and very little attention paid to the less quantifiable attributes of what makes a group dynamic work. When you have a healthy team dynamic, leadership and accountability, you tend to see guys punch above their effort levels, and you don't get that at all with the Leafs except in rare games here and there.

Dubas has put together a good collection of talent but it definitely needs more maturation, editing and the right in room support. Over the past few years guys like Komarov, Martin, Hyman, Hainsey, Polak have been crapped on for not being worthy of our core guys, but they serve a purpose.

Just learning from other "skill" teams like Washington, you can count guys like Laich, Chimera, Oshie, Knuble, Steckel, Fehr, Perreault, Alzner, Beagle, Orpik, Ward, Wilson who are going to give you grit, size, physical presence, or checking acumen or hustle or some other non high end skill ingredients.

Same thing with Detroit: Draper, Maltby, Lapointe, Probert, Burr, Franzen, Abdelkaeder, Cleary, McCarty, Chelios, Drake.

The big skilled cornerstones are in place, but we need to make a few edits to improve the other aspects of the game so we have more looks, better balance and guys who can resuscitate a game when the skill and speed is dozing off.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The big skilled cornerstones are in place, but we need to make a few edits to improve the other aspects of the game so we have more looks, better balance and guys who can resuscitate a game when the skill and speed is dozing off.
Your top 6 can't be a bunch of pansies and then you fill out the bottom 6 with character. Zetterberg was no wimp. Not even Datsyuk. Ovie is a beast. We need a top 6 that is well rounded and plays the game right, which means we have to make some major trades.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Your top 6 can't be a bunch of pansies and then you fill out the bottom 6 with character. Zetterberg was no wimp. Not even Datsyuk. Ovie is a beast. We need a top 6 that is well rounded and plays the game right, which means we have to make some major trades.

I agree. I don't think having Marner and Nylander makes sense and I would like to convert one of them into something different. Would also move on from one of Johnsson and Kapanen. Matthews and Tavares Marner/Nylander works for me.

Even just envisioning something like Matthews, Tavares, M. Tkachuk, Nylander, JT Miller feels like you'll have something way better balanced on the ice.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Too weak on the puck and too much Fort night. These guys really are kids and it shows playing against men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad