In one sentence, what's wrong with this team?

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Feel like we should treat this logically. Clearly team isn't meshing. On paper they should be doing really well. Before making more big trades or what not it would be easier to switch coaches and still see. If not then move players after that. Because we moved players and we still are meh. And a lot of us suspect it has to do with babcock. But even if it doesn't, imo it still is the most logical thing to do.
I would say that is very logical.

Reactions: Sawchuk30

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Organization is attempting to implement a new high risk team design with low probability of success.

MLSE to us... SHUT UP AND BUY OUR PRODUCTS, IDIOTS

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
I’ll add another one. Until every player commits to defence this franchise is never going to win another cup.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Fans care about winning. Employees just want to get paid.

Crows Eye

Oct 22, 2019
Playing with just enough effort to barely beat tired, mediocre teams who are playing second of back to back games.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Lets see no JT, Hymen, Dermott, plus a 22:00 hole in the lineup named Barrie, and generally crappy goaltending. That's the one sentence and it is so simple. Just be healthy and goalies and Barrie stop sucking, and they are fine.

All these things can and will be solved by the individuals themselves. Not a big Hutch fan but he is a career .907 sv% goalie currently at .885. This is a strong lineup and the players some were worried would be steaming turds like Ceci and Holl have been just fine. They still have too much dangle and not enough crunch, but there is 67 games to sort that out. Wait til a couple of guys get on a heater and the goalies start standing up.

If 7-5-3 is their low point this will be a monster year. I am not thrilled with how they have been playing but definitely not worried either. Its like some of you guys don't remember what a bad Leafs club actually looks like:laugh:

The first 15 games have historically had zero impact on the Cup winner. I want my club smoking for the last 15. Caps 2 years ago were 5-6-1 in October. Blues 3-4-3 last year. Aaaaaah its November 4th and the sky is falling:laugh:

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Lets see no JT, Hymen, Dermott, plus a 22:00 hole in the lineup named Barrie, and generally crappy goaltending. That's the one sentence and it is so simple. Just be healthy and goalies and Barrie stop sucking, and they are fine.

All these things can and will be solved by the individuals themselves. Not a big Hutch fan but he is a career .907 sv% goalie currently at .885. This is a strong lineup and the players some were worried would be steaming turds like Ceci and Holl have been just fine. They still have too much dangle and not enough crunch, but there is 67 games to sort that out. Wait til a couple of guys get on a heater and the goalies start standing up.

If 7-5-3 is their low point this will be a monster year. I am not thrilled with how they have been playing but definitely not worried either. Its like some of you guys don't remember what a bad Leafs club actually looks like:laugh:

The first 15 games have historically had zero impact on the Cup winner. I want my club smoking for the last 15. Caps 2 years ago were 5-6-1 in October. Blues 3-4-3 last year. Aaaaaah its November 4th and the sky is falling:laugh:
Bingo.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
The players are largely afraid of their own shadows, especially in their own end.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are we just going to keep pretending that Dubas didnt trade for Muzzin?

Found this comment after trading for Muzzin from Dubas:

“With regards to the grit, I think our team has shown its own different brand of toughness and the competitiveness of our guys who are not big in relative terms to the rest of the league, I like the competitive spirit that our players have down and have shown throughout the year. In games that get rough and get physical, we’ve been able to dig in and find a way. I know until that happens in the Spring, people will always question it, but I have a lot of belief in that way that we want to play and the people that are here that can execute that. In the end, we’ll find a way through it as long as we stick to our process and stick to our identity, we’ll be fine.”

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It's 4 things.

1) Special teams.

When you look at the top power play units over the last 5 years, they have had big right handed shots on the left half wall. Think Ovechkin, Stamkos, Pastranak, where they tee up on the left side of the power play above circle with that right shot. Matthews is a left handed shot, so he doesn't get as much of a clean look. Marner is a right handed shot but he doesn't have a very good shot. If only they were reversed. We need to address this somehow, as obviously this isn't the only formula to have power play success, just one of them. Matthews is never going to score 100 points if he can't score regular goals on the P.P... he also has a tendency to give the puck away on the player as well. A top 5 P.P in the league vs a top 20 P.P will result in a substantial difference in the standings, P.K as well.

2) Mindset, standards and consistency.

This team lacks the elite mental drive and willingness to do everything it takes to win. They are going at it at about a 90 % level. It's clear they haven't reached there potential. They don't have the mental drive of players playing for there lives or players that have the drive to win the whole thing. The fact William Nylander was willing to sit out an entire season shows you where his mind was. We've had less talented teams work much harder. This team legitimately does try to get by on there skill and it's an issue. Some blame the coach, same blame the GM, some blame the players. I don't know who or whom is responsible but this does seem to be an issue.

3) Lacking a top 10 defence group in the NHL.

We don't have a top 10 RHD shutdown defensmen. I'm nit picking here, I actually think Ceci is pretty decent and Barrie is being misused a little bit. Muzzin is a great piece, i'm very happy with him. Rielly isn't a top 10 d-man in the league either. This isn't a knock on Rielly by the way, the fact we have a top 5 offensive d-man in the league is great... however his defensive positioning on 2 on 1's is atrocious. Dermott for example is better at this as a sophmore. Rielly also makes some pretty boneheaded plays on the P.P, continuously throwing the puck into traffic on the power play. It's a very lower percentage shot, and giving the puck away on the player can kill 30 seconds of a 2:00 minute power play, and possibly the entire power play if we can get into the zone again. If we had a Parayko type defensmen it would make a huge difference. If our best d-man is going to be in the offensive mold, we need a top shutdown defender to play with him if he's going to log 25 minutes a night.

4) Overpaying our personnel.

We live in a cap world where every decision is magnified. Overpaying 3-4 players is going to make it extremely difficult moving forward. It's not just difficult to fill out the team it's just wrong.

These are 4 very big issues. I'm glad I don't have to fix them. It seems all 3 of GM, Coach and players are to blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->