In one sentence, what's wrong with this team?

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
our players especially matthews hate babcock and matthews is the team leader and our players got matthews back in this
Quite possibly. It may not be just Matthews either. I've heard (my source ;)....) that other significant players on the team "hate" Babcock as well. More specifically, its for some of the stuff he says and does in his office and at practices. I'm not going to share anything specific because it's hearsay. But, I think there's enough evidence to say:

Team really dislikes coach.

Reactions: ToMaLe and ToMaLe

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Team leadership. If the prevailing consensus is that the team is a bit soft, the leadership needs to stand up and show what soft doesnt look like.
Before someone tells me that guys like Marner cant play that way....Gilmour was smaller and nobody ever called him soft.
Matthews is a big boy...why isnt he a bit more Crosby like?
Hello Rielly...we know you are strong...how about sendi g a message once in awhile.
JT....he has been hurt but it would be awesome if he showed some emotion during the games to try to steer the team in the right direction.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
we are not a strong defensive team. This was not a secret heading into the season.

We needed toughness and defensive ability this offseason and we got quality offensive D (and Gravel). So, heading in the season, we knew we'd score more than most but had huge question marks over how well Babcock could coach us to make up for poor D. Through ~15 games, our defensive statistics are atrocious. We are

bottom 5 in shots allowed
bottom 5 in goals allowed/against
bottom 5 in giveaways
bottom 5 in goals against in 3rd period
bottom 5 in HDCF/60
bottom 10 in SVP%

top 5 in goals for
top 5 in shots for

We're in the bottom 3rd of the league in both PP% and PK%.

Had Freddie been able to play at a 920 clip instead of a 904, we would probably have a couple more wins. That doesn't disguise the fact that defensively, we are porous. Teams like playing us because we are both easy to play against physically, and easier to score against than other teams. The gamble of running a defensive core of Rielly, Muzzin, and Barrie supplemented with Holl, Marincin, Gravel has yielded bottom-5 results thus far. Babcock hasn't been able to make up for the lack of quality defensive depth.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Nothing...
giphy.gif

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
our players especially matthews hate babcock and matthews is the team leader and our players got matthews back in this
That's more concerning than anything. There are other ways to deal with that. When you're getting 10+ M a year and decide not to play cuz you don't like the boss it says quite a bit more about you than the coach.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's more concerning than anything. There are other ways to deal with that. When you're getting 10+ M a year and decide not to play cuz you don't like the boss it says quite a bit more about you than the coach.

To add, 6 of our 7 D men have no contract going into next year (5 UFA and 1 RFA)... if they are sacrificing a Cup and a contract to get the coach fired.... we have the wrong players.

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
^ 15 players have contracts expiring in 2 years or less, if they are tanking to get the coach fired, we obviously need new players.
Don't forget the guys who left nothing on the table. If you're so certain that your pain is worth more than team success and you're taking games off because 'coach is mean' then I'd said our issues are much bigger than a coach.

Reactions: Vaive50 and Pookie

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
GM is the worst negotiator in the league and the coach is terrible with special teams.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
to be fair matthews hated babcock back then when he was on his elc

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Might be easier to answer if the question is, what is not wrong with this team?

Something smells rotten in Denmark and if it is not addressed soon I fear this season will be a write off.

Reactions: Optomist and rumman

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Might be easier to answer if the question is, what is not wrong with this team?

Something smells rotten in Denmark and if it is not addressed soon I fear this season will be a write off.

Season should be fine. Enough talent to get in the playoffs.

Playoff performance is another worry... particularly the fact the GM doesn’t buy physicality.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Season should be fine. Enough talent to get in the playoffs.

Playoff performance is another worry... particularly the fact the GM doesn’t buy physicality.

Making the playoffs and exiting in the first round is no longer an option for this organisation. I cannot see this cast beating the Bruins or Lightning. Something has to change.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Making the playoffs and exiting in the first round is no longer an option for this organisation. I cannot see this cast beating the Bruins or Lightning. Something has to change.
That's been the hardest part of watching. Knowing that even if we get it together and go on a run, we're a 1st round exit team again. This team currently doesn't have what it takes to go on a run

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Over the last while?

Goalkeeping.

Going back this calendar year?

Goalkeeping.

We used to have goalkeeping that well outperformed a mediocre defense.....over the last while we have had lousy goalkeeping under performing an average defense.

Im not saying this hasn’t happened with us. On really good teams, the players can win a game when their goalie doesn’t play well. Can anyone remember when our players have won a game when our goalie didn’t play well? It seems like I’ve heard way too often that when we’ve won a game, it’s because Freddie had a strong game, not because our players won it for us.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Given by their indifference towards giving a consistent effort, one can only conclude that the players are frustrated playing for this coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad