In Chevy We Trust

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I always enjoy an appreciation Thread!

Some excellent points made by many of you, in particular the challenges that Chevy faces compared to the majority of other GM’s.

I’ve always respected his ability to maintain privacy within the Organization. There aren’t many other NHL Franchises who have the same level of privacy from all I’ve read & heard (The Athletic & Podcasts such as 31 Thoughts, etc).

I think this, in addition to his calm demeanour, where he does not speak ill of departing players, is an underestimated positive aspect for Players (Agents).

In other words, he’s a man of class and poise. He doesn’t get rushed into doing anything he isn’t comfortable with (which can be frustrating as hell for us fans of course). But, he’s decisive when opportunity is available, as we just witnessed this last week.

Chevy is one of the least talked about GM’s on HF Boards from what I’ve seen. Same goes for Hockey Media in general. This is for all the right reasons, imho. I agree with those that he seems to grow too attached to his coaches (I personally think this Team needs to move on from Mr. Maurice).

Even after losing most of the blue line a few summers ago, the Jets found a way to still be one of the more stable Franchises. To me this is a reflection of Chevy’s personality in the Team, with huge credit to Maurice during that following Season.

Now the blue line appears to be looking almost rebuilt. No, there isn’t a true #1 yet, but off-season isn’t over yet and we don’t know what we have in Heinola. I’m still holding out hope from who I saw at the WJC’s, that young man is special.

Sorry for the ramble, but coming from a Canucks fan who has had to endure Benning’s tenure, I have no shortage of words to express my admiration for Mr. Cheveldayoff.

98FB1085-9CF7-4D56-9F43-B15B6329A259.jpeg

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Haha this is pure gold. I cant wait to see the flip if we have a small losing slide during the season.

Great moves all around by Chevy.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I always enjoy an appreciation Thread!

Some excellent points made by many of you, in particular the challenges that Chevy faces compared to the majority of other GM’s.

I’ve always respected his ability to maintain privacy within the Organization. There aren’t many other NHL Franchises who have the same level of privacy from all I’ve read & heard (The Athletic & Podcasts such as 31 Thoughts, etc).

I think this, in addition to his calm demeanour, where he does not speak ill of departing players, is an underestimated positive aspect for Players (Agents).

In other words, he’s a man of class and poise. He doesn’t get rushed into doing anything he isn’t comfortable with (which can be frustrating as hell for us fans of course). But, he’s decisive when opportunity is available, as we just witnessed this last week.

Chevy is one of the least talked about GM’s on HF Boards from what I’ve seen. Same goes for Hockey Media in general. This is for all the right reasons, imho. I agree with those that he seems to grow too attached to his coaches (I personally think this Team needs to move on from Mr. Maurice).

Even after losing most of the blue line a few summers ago, the Jets found a way to still be one of the more stable Franchises. To me this is a reflection of Chevy’s personality in the Team, with huge credit to Maurice during that following Season.

Now the blue line appears to be looking almost rebuilt. No, there isn’t a true #1 yet, but off-season isn’t over yet and we don’t know what we have in Heinola. I’m still holding out hope from who I saw at the WJC’s, that young man is special.

Sorry for the ramble, but coming from a Canucks fan who has had to endure Benning’s tenure, I have no shortage of words to express my admiration for Mr. Cheveldayoff.

View attachment 457566

Great post, GP! And nice to see that Younger Chevy phone pic again -- man, NHL GMs age like American presidents. His availability yesterday was one of the best I've heard him do. Actually kinda informative.

Here's hoping for a little more magic before the season starts -- but nice to head into August on a high.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Premature thread!

On the contrary I think it’s the perfect time to judge the actions to avoid the 20-20 hindsight, told you so goggles. GM’s inevitability own the outcome but as arm chair micro managing fantasy GM’s we have to make our call today. Pass or fail for the moves?

Of course this isn’t the final stamp it’s a straw poll of a work in progress. Interesting today in the Athletic LeBrun had an article where he declared Winnipeg the winner of the off season so far.

I think it’s Chevy’s best off season work to date and sure this may fall flat and fail miserably once the plan meets the real world. Only time will tell that.

either way love it or hate it it’s fun off season banter.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So 3 years since Enstrom retired, 2 years since the team lost Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, and of course Buff, Chevy finally figures out that some combination of Beaulieu, Sbisa, Bitetto, Dahlstrom, Forbert and Poolman just aren't going to fill those guys shoes.

While this is a vast improvement on the 5 years it took him to figure out Pavelec was terrible, he's now squandered two years of Vezina-level goaltending from prime Hellebuyck.

What's the over/under on how long it will take him to figure out the coaching staff needs to be shitcanned? :laugh:

I would say one season at most and it’s tough because I doubt it was from a lack of trying.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would say one season at most and it’s tough because I doubt it was from a lack of trying.
Agree. As LeBrun mentioned, it was pretty clear that the Jets' plan this past season was literally to "stay in the fight" until the trade deadline, and then make a move for a top-4 D (with a bit of term). The reason for that approach was pretty straightforward - the flat salary cap. I think they might have considered adding another D before the season and tried to dump a contract (like Perreault), but it seemed pretty clear that they were focusing on the TDL to add a top-4 D, but couldn't get that sort of deal done.

It's hard to know whether they explored all options to improve their top-4 last season, but I think it's pretty clear that it was their intention.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agree. As LeBrun mentioned, it was pretty clear that the Jets' plan this past season was literally to "stay in the fight" until the trade deadline, and then make a move for a top-4 D (with a bit of term). The reason for that approach was pretty straightforward - the flat salary cap. I think they might have considered adding another D before the season and tried to dump a contract (like Perreault), but it seemed pretty clear that they were focusing on the TDL to add a top-4 D, but couldn't get that sort of deal done.

It's hard to know whether they explored all options to improve their top-4 last season, but I think it's pretty clear that it was their intention.
Gotta believe the XD was on their mind too though when factoring in whether or not to acquire a top 4. Say we traded Heinola and a 1st for Ekholm, and then lose Stanley in the expansion draft. Essentially would have paid an extra asset for him that we wouldn't have in a normal year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gotta believe the XD was on their mind too though when factoring in whether or not to acquire a top 4. Say we traded Heinola and a 1st for Ekholm, and then lose Stanley in the expansion draft. Essentially would have paid an extra asset for him that we wouldn't have in a normal year.
Yes, good point.

Chevy indicated that when they were considering trade options for D at the trade deadline, they were also mindful of the additional cost that might come from losing a good asset in the expansion draft. Based on pre-expansion draft discussions, Chevy indicated that they believed that Stanley had considerable value around the NHL, and they protected him on that basis.

At this point, I wonder if the Jets might see moving Stanley as an option. With Dillon in the fold, and Heinola and Samberg and Chisholm in the pipeline, maybe Stanley can be used to recoup some draft capital, or added to Copp for a bigger trade for a young forward that can contribute in the top-9.

I think it's unlikely that they trade Stanley, because I think the Jets' management and coaches really like him and see high potential, but keeping him was part of the calculus around a potential trade deadline acquisition of a D.

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I think he does a fantastic job, considering how difficult it must be to trade or sign players in Winnipeg. I had only two strikes against the guy going in to the free agency

1) Giving Maurice et al too much slack
2) Letting the D continue to be a disaster

He has fixed one. Onward and upward, Chevy!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I will defend that Mason signing until the day I due. Yes, it turned out he was done. We had to pay to get rid of him. It sucked.

But he was legitimately one of the best goalies in the league during his time with the Flyers, right up until he got rushed back from a concussion. Had he even come close to that play, his contract would have been a steal. It was a damn shame he didn't recover from his concussion.

The intent was right, but there were a couple of other goalies available at the same time who turned out better and cheaper.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Definitely possible. But, I don’t think we’re necessarily in a position that we absolutely need to recoup those picks. We still have the likes of Perfetti, Lucius, Vesalainen, Gustafsson, Harkins, Chibrikov, Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, Kovacevic, etc, etc… coming down the pipe.

Between our NHL roster (contracts) and young guys on the cusp of being full time NHLers to our prospects, we’re really well rounded as an organization right now imo.

If we deal Copp for picks I am definitely ok with that, especially considering we’re so close to the cap. If it has to be done it has to be done. I am also 100% ok with keeping him as our own rental even if that means losing him for nothing. I think we’re that close as a contender and Copp provides great value and depth to us as a cup contending team this coming season.

I really dislike the idea of keeping Copp as an own rental. But if the trade return is weak, then the rental price is good. I would rather get a mid to late 1st than a couple of 2nds, or a 2nd + a 3rd (and that last might be the market).

I ran up a quick roster with Copp at 4mil and Pionk at 6.5. We only have a 21 man roster and the 21st man is Toninato in the press box. A hypothetical trade to Seattle for Lauzon and Geekie could add Lauzon to the PB, Geekie could fill Appleton's spot and Vesalainen could fill Copp's. The cap saved could finance upgrades at 4RW and backup goalie. Or the hole opened up could make room for Perfetti. So I think a couple of good depth players coming back could work out better than keeping him as a rental. IF the right couple of depth players could be found.

Reactions: Guerzy

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am happy that Cheveldayoff went all in! Wheeler is getting old. Scheifele/Ehlers/Connor are in their PRIME, PLD is going to bounce back!

And just to emphasize a point - this is the time of year to 'go all in'. Better results than TD at much lower cost.

:thumbu: atta boy Chevy!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Our major losing streak last year happened right after the trade deadline, presumably because the major flaws in the lineup weren't addressed. We won the first game after the deadline, and then lost 8 straight. This team seems to live and die on the momentum that Chevy gives them, and he just gave them the biggest boot in the ass they've ever had. I hope the fans are fully behind the team, I hope that Maurice and his staff find ways to use them efficiently, and I hope we come out swinging like never before. Top to bottom, this is the most balanced we've ever been, we have to capitalize.

Agree with the last half of this post.

If this team requires Chevy to go out and overpay for players at the TD to bolster their morale then they don't have the guts to be winners anyway.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haha this is pure gold. I cant wait to see the flip if we have a small losing slide during the season.

Great moves all around by Chevy.

If we under-perform this season, I don't think you see much finger pointing at Chevy. It will be the coaches first, players second.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It was reported multiple times that they were trying to get a D for Laine. They only went for PLD when it became clear that they couldn't get a D they liked. They had plugged the hole at 2C in the off-season, getting Stastny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad