In Chevy We Trust

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'd rather a cup than stocking up on draft picks this year. Our pipeline is still in the top 1/3 across the league somehow (er, 11th place apparently), we can afford to go for it. I don't think we go nuts at the TDL this year with our projected roster. Maybe a rental 2RW, that's it. No need to flip 1sts.

Sure, but I'm not sure that's mutually exclusive. Not sending picks for 4th-line vets or fodder depth D, recouping where we can instead of letting players walk for nothing, letting our newfound D depth shelter some of our prospects promoted from within rather than spending on more Nate Thompsons, etc.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure, but I'm not sure that's mutually exclusive. Not sending picks for 4th-line vets or fodder depth D, recouping where we can instead of letting players walk for nothing, letting our newfound D depth shelter some of our prospects promoted from within rather than spending on more Nate Thompsons, etc.

My guess is Copp is traded to recoup those picks we just sent out.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Realistically, in 10 years chevy hasn't made very many bad moves. Even the ones that turned out badly made sense at the time.

1. Steve Mason - we needed a starter
2. Dmitri Kulikov - overpay, had injury issues
3. Trading up, and reaching for, Stanley - ended up working out
4. Paying a 1st for Hayes
5. Pavelec extension
6. Wheeler's deal - TBD

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add to the list. That said, that's over a 10 year period and there aren't any franchise crippling major f-ups.

Sometimes the best move a GM can make is not making a move.
I will defend that Mason signing until the day I due. Yes, it turned out he was done. We had to pay to get rid of him. It sucked.

But he was legitimately one of the best goalies in the league during his time with the Flyers, right up until he got rushed back from a concussion. Had he even come close to that play, his contract would have been a steal. It was a damn shame he didn't recover from his concussion.

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut
I will defend that Mason signing until the day I due. Yes, it turned out he was done. We had to pay to get rid of him. It sucked.

But he was legitimately one of the best goalies in the league during his time with the Flyers, right up until he got rushed back from a concussion. Had he even come close to that play, his contract would have been a steal. It was a damn shame he didn't recover from his concussion.

Agreed, but losing Armia in the process still stings.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed, with Helle struggling in his first year as a starter we needed a good contingency plan and Mason looked like a good bet to provide it. It didn't work out but the logic was sound.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
My guess is Copp is traded to recoup those picks we just sent out.

Definitely possible. But, I don’t think we’re necessarily in a position that we absolutely need to recoup those picks. We still have the likes of Perfetti, Lucius, Vesalainen, Gustafsson, Harkins, Chibrikov, Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, Kovacevic, etc, etc… coming down the pipe.

Between our NHL roster (contracts) and young guys on the cusp of being full time NHLers to our prospects, we’re really well rounded as an organization right now imo.

If we deal Copp for picks I am definitely ok with that, especially considering we’re so close to the cap. If it has to be done it has to be done. I am also 100% ok with keeping him as our own rental even if that means losing him for nothing. I think we’re that close as a contender and Copp provides great value and depth to us as a cup contending team this coming season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Definitely possible. But, I don’t think we’re necessarily in a position that we absolutely need to recoup those picks. We still have the likes of Perfetti, Lucius, Vesalainen, Gustafsson, Harkins, Chibrikov, Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, Kovacevic, etc, etc… coming down the pipe.

Between our NHL roster (contracts) and young guys on the cusp of being full time NHLers to our prospects, we’re really well rounded as an organization right now imo.

If we deal Copp for picks I am definitely ok with that, especially considering we’re so close to the cap. If it has to be done it has to be done. I am also 100% ok with keeping him as our own rental even if that means losing him for nothing. I think we’re that close as a contender and Copp provides great value and depth to us as a cup contending team this coming season.

We definitely don't need the picks and I agree that our pool has been replenished quite well the last few years.

I just don't see any way to fit Copp in even as an own rental.

I like the guy but the Stastny deal needed to be 1 to 2 million cheaper to realistically be able to keep him.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Back in the 2017 off season he was my guy as well.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.40.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.41.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.42.07 AM.png

Nov 24, 2006
I've always been a fan of this GM.

Let's face it, he's got one of the toughest GM jobs in the league. Challenges abound for Winnipeg in UFA and players with NTC. The organization continues to be seen in very good light by the players that DO come here via trade or UFA (ie Stastny). So kudos to Chevy (and everyone else in ownership and management) to create a good culture.

The key part is the good drafting we are able to do a continual basis. That has been our staple. Where would we be without it? Again, it takes a team of quality scouts and management to assemble a roster.

After seeing guys like Forbort and Poolman get overpaid in UFA, I'm more than impressed what Chevy has done by giving up 2 2nd rounders and a 3rd to significantly upgrade two D positions avoid paying guys like Ceci $3 million a year in UFA.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I also was in favor of the Mason signing, even though it didn't work out. Same with the Kulikov signing. I was in favor because we desperately needed to try something wrt our goaltending, and we desperately needed to shore up our D. Chevy took specific action to address specific needs in a meaningful way. It may not have worked out as planned, especially in the case of Mason, but specific action was taken to address specific glaring needs. Kulikov didn't live up to his billing either, but was at least serviceable most of the time he wasn't injured. But I still think they were good moves, because of the needs that we had at the time. Chevy deserves credit for taking those actions.

I think that is why I am so pleased with this offseason too. You never know if it will work out, but you can see that the moves match the needs and they are meaningful moves with quality acquisitions. Not this Jordie Benn kind of bullshit. Or remember when we reacquired Matt Hendricks at the trade deadline for the second time in 2019? That kind of stuff is hard to support.

Reactions: FonRiesen and buggs

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So 3 years since Enstrom retired, 2 years since the team lost Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, and of course Buff, Chevy finally figures out that some combination of Beaulieu, Sbisa, Bitetto, Dahlstrom, Forbert and Poolman just aren't going to fill those guys shoes.

While this is a vast improvement on the 5 years it took him to figure out Pavelec was terrible, he's now squandered two years of Vezina-level goaltending from prime Hellebuyck.

What's the over/under on how long it will take him to figure out the coaching staff needs to be shitcanned? :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So 3 years since Enstrom retired, 2 years since the team lost Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, and of course Buff, Chevy finally figures out that some combination of Beaulieu, Sbisa, Bitetto, Dahlstrom, Forbert and Poolman just aren't going to fill those guys shoes.

While this is a vast improvement on the 5 years it took him to figure out Pavelec was terrible, he's now squandered two years of Vezina-level goaltending from prime Hellebuyck.

What's the over/under on how long it will take him to figure out the coaching staff needs to be shitcanned? :laugh:

I look at it as one year, he wasn't expecting Buff to bail two years ago.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015

It’s almost like the Jets now have the cap space to facilitate moves to acquire top 4 defenseman.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think not! It's now up to the players, Both these dmen are quality dmen. It's not on Chevy if they don't pan out.

Agreed, Chevy has build a real strong team with plenty of depth in the farm to fill in if needed. Its now up to the coaching and players to perform.

By the sounds of it most players are very excited and motivated by the moves.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Our major losing streak last year happened right after the trade deadline, presumably because the major flaws in the lineup weren't addressed. We won the first game after the deadline, and then lost 8 straight. This team seems to live and die on the momentum that Chevy gives them, and he just gave them the biggest boot in the ass they've ever had. I hope the fans are fully behind the team, I hope that Maurice and his staff find ways to use them efficiently, and I hope we come out swinging like never before. Top to bottom, this is the most balanced we've ever been, we have to capitalize.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I think not! It's now up to the players, Both these dmen are quality dmen. It's not on Chevy if they don't pan out.
It's up to the players AND coach.
Chevy has gone out and done well in improving the blueline. The players now have to prove they belong on the Jets, and coaching staff need to put them in a position to help them succeed, including linemates that match well and a system that plays to their strengths.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Our major losing streak last year happened right after the trade deadline, presumably because the major flaws in the lineup weren't addressed. We won the first game after the deadline, and then lost 8 straight. This team seems to live and die on the momentum that Chevy gives them, and he just gave them the biggest boot in the ass they've ever had. I hope the fans are fully behind the team, I hope that Maurice and his staff find ways to use them efficiently, and I hope we come out swinging like never before. Top to bottom, this is the most balanced we've ever been, we have to capitalize.

That streak coincided with Ehlers injury too. He was having his best season to date and when he went out the team couldn't handle it.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Chevy has been a great steward of the Jets Cap situation, and able to acquire great players on reasonable contracts. These 2 new guys, Schmidt, and Dillon make us a Cup Contender.

The only "overpay" is to Wheeler at $ 8.5 mil, when he's only worth $ 5.5, and this will hurt us. Also Stastny is on the high side -- rest are great.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Assuming an average career of 10 years, if you can graduate 2 players a year who become full time NHL'ers (not counting the Nic Petans of the world that bounce up and down) your roster is always going to be in great shape. In Chevy's 6 drafts where I'd say development time has expired and there's no more "jury's still out" period we've had 13 such players (not counting Harkins). Possibility to graduate 3-4 such players this year and should have a minimum of 4 more solid bets in the pipeline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad