HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins now have the 4th smallest video screen in the NHL

2020 Total Square Feet.png

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
My guess would be that the building footprint is one of the smallest in the league as well. I guess I'm one of the few people here who really does not care about the size of the scoreboard past a certain size. I think the existing HDX is a perfectly fine for the size of the building and the viewing angle from the seats...but it seems as if I'm in the minority there.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
A friend took me to the game last night, sat in section 5 row 26. I had to sit with my arms folded in front of me and couldn't have been more uncomfortable.

Overall I like'd the changes, it felt roomier and none of the concession lines had more than 5 or 6 people in line and I liked the color changes as well.

The only line was for the mens room and that line never seemed to lessen. Bathroom simply was too small.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Went on Sunday and sat in 315.

The aesthetics are nice, but those seats are horrible. I’m kind of a stocky guy, but I was able to squeeze into my seat. My wife, however, has bigger hips than I, and was very uncomfortable.

We also had another issue that I won’t address here, but I’m glad I didn’t buy the ticket package I was thinking about getting, and TD Garden is going to hear from me regarding the seats and a couple other things.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

View attachment 285897

I was going to ask if that was updated to reflect the minor improvements they made to the HDX over the summer - according to that site, we were 5th from the bottom last season. Either the screen size didn't change (possible), or the site didn't update it, since the Garden didn't do the full-scale redo that was expected in the off season (also possible). I had no complaints about the size/quality of the main screen, and during preseason, I did notice the bump in video quality. I don't really notice it now, but I assume that's because I've acclimated.

My big issue with the HDX is not the size, but how it's used. It would be perfect if the first and third rings were used for in-game stats, and they kept the advertising crap to the huge rings bordering the suites. If they can't do that, they need more screen area to put in stuff like live TOI. To their credit, they did give up a bit of advertising space on the second ring about 2-3 years ago so that they could have the amazing technology to show SOG while there's a power play. (Seriously. About 2-3 years ago, if there was a PP, SOG would vanish from the main ring, and if you wanted that info, you'd have to look behind the goalies.)

Also, I know it's an NHL game, but can't they at least toss up Celtics/Pats/Sox scores in the "out of town games" rotation behind the goalies? I'm sure the Sox tossed up manually updated Bruins scores during our Cup run. One Sunday within the last 2 years, the Sox and Pats were playing simultaneously, and they tossed the score up on the jumbotron ONCE.

Reactions: wintersej

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was going to ask if that was updated to reflect the minor improvements they made to the HDX over the summer - according to that site, we were 5th from the bottom last season. Either the screen size didn't change (possible), or the site didn't update it, since the Garden didn't do the full-scale redo that was expected in the off season (also possible). I had no complaints about the size/quality of the main screen, and during preseason, I did notice the bump in video quality. I don't really notice it now, but I assume that's because I've acclimated.

My big issue with the HDX is not the size, but how it's used. It would be perfect if the first and third rings were used for in-game stats, and they kept the advertising crap to the huge rings bordering the suites. If they can't do that, they need more screen area to put in stuff like live TOI. To their credit, they did give up a bit of advertising space on the second ring about 2-3 years ago so that they could have the amazing technology to show SOG while there's a power play. (Seriously. About 2-3 years ago, if there was a PP, SOG would vanish from the main ring, and if you wanted that info, you'd have to look behind the goalies.)

Also, I know it's an NHL game, but can't they at least toss up Celtics/Pats/Sox scores in the "out of town games" rotation behind the goalies? I'm sure the Sox tossed up manually updated Bruins scores during our Cup run. One Sunday within the last 2 years, the Sox and Pats were playing simultaneously, and they tossed the score up on the jumbotron ONCE.

The size of the display remained the same even with the 4K upgrade

They do stats for the Celtics

upload_2019-12-4_21-14-23.png

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The size of the display remained the same even with the 4K upgrade

They do stats for the Celtics

View attachment 286517

I imagine the hockey stats, particularly TOI, would be tougher to do than basketball though...at least in terms of programming. You've got to swap players in and out at random times, and once a name's up, the TOI has to be running like a clock.

Not surprised that the size of the screen is the same - are they still going to get a new Jumbotron, or has that been shelved for the time being?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I imagine the hockey stats, particularly TOI, would be tougher to do than basketball though...at least in terms of programming. You've got to swap players in and out at random times, and once a name's up, the TOI has to be running like a clock.

Not surprised that the size of the screen is the same - are they still going to get a new Jumbotron, or has that been shelved for the time being?

Daktronics has software that ties into the NHL scoring system and it is seamless.

They do plan to install a new overhang this summer. The main expense was the control room and that had to be done last summer because of the other upgrades on Level 9.

Right now their main priority is keeping the Celtics happy as those are 41+ nights they can't afford to lose.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Details About Bruins' Scoreboard Upgrade - The Faceoff

All summer we waited to hear details about the brand new scoreboard that the Bruins had mentioned on a couple occasions. However, after most of the summer had passed with no news, and pictures came out showing most of the scoreboard still intact, it became clear that a new scoreboard was no longer on the table. Since then we have received word from a source within the Bruins' organization that they ran out of time, due to the shortened off-season, and that they expect to replace the board in the Summer of 2020.

However, the scoreboard is at least partially new this season as it saw and upgrade of its main video screens. The size of the screens are almost identical but quality was the objective for this upgrade. Daktronics has stated that the old boards had a 10mm pitch (space between the pixels) while the new board has only a 2.5mm pitch. They have upgraded from HD to 4k. Not the change most Bruins fans were hoping for, but it should make for a much more crisp image to get them by until next off-season.

Daktronics Brings TD Garden the First 2.5-Millimeter Centerhung Video Screens In Sports

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Dec. 2, 2019 – TD Garden continues to improve the game-day experience for its fans by partnering with Daktronics (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, to install the first 2.5-millimeter centerhung video screens this year. The installation marks the tightest pixel pitch on a centerhung in sports.

"Our game presentation enhancements are some of the most exciting parts of TD Garden's significant 'Legendary Transformation' this year," said Lorraine Spadaro, vice president of technology at TD Garden. "The complete overhaul of the HDX screens significantly enhances the clarity and quality of game presentation and brings 4K quality video to our guests."

The centerhung's upgrade includes four new main video screens retrofitted into the existing structure to bring an overhauled viewing experience. Each display features 4.5 million pixels and measures 13 feet high by 23 feet wide.

"The tight 2.5-millimeter pixel pitch of their centerhung screens position TD Garden as innovators in the use of LED technology in sports venues," said Daktronics President and CEO Reece Kurtenbach. "We're proud to work with TD Garden on their venue upgrade efforts."

The centerhung improvements come on the heels of 30 LED displays being installed in 2018 in vomitory locations along the seating fascia. These displays also featured the tight 2.5-millimeter line spacing for high-resolution imagery.

The new technology adds to the existing LED displays Daktronics had previously installed at the venue including two LED digital billboards and two 360-degree ribbon boards along the seating fascia.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
My guess would be that the building footprint is one of the smallest in the league as well. I guess I'm one of the few people here who really does not care about the size of the scoreboard past a certain size. I think the existing HDX is a perfectly fine for the size of the building and the viewing angle from the seats...but it seems as if I'm in the minority there.
Little ot but few years back a rep walked right up to me at a Hartford wolfpack game and started asking several questions about the new video screen they put up above center ice. I plain and simple told her that the product on the ice matters most (the pack were outta playoff spot) consider all ive seen on the new shiny screen were replays of the other teams goals to that point.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

View attachment 285897
The boards in Chicago and Philly look like monstrosities. I think there is such a thing as overkill. Maybe I'd feel different if I saw them in person. :dunno:

Call me a homer (in the sense that I live in Nashville) but I like the Preds new board. At least it's unique, and without another pro team to share the arena, they can afford to be. I love living in a city without an NBA team.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Details About Bruins' Scoreboard Upgrade - The Faceoff

All summer we waited to hear details about the brand new scoreboard that the Bruins had mentioned on a couple occasions. However, after most of the summer had passed with no news, and pictures came out showing most of the scoreboard still intact, it became clear that a new scoreboard was no longer on the table. Since then we have received word from a source within the Bruins' organization that they ran out of time, due to the shortened off-season, and that they expect to replace the board in the Summer of 2020.

However, the scoreboard is at least partially new this season as it saw and upgrade of its main video screens. The size of the screens are almost identical but quality was the objective for this upgrade. Daktronics has stated that the old boards had a 10mm pitch (space between the pixels) while the new board has only a 2.5mm pitch. They have upgraded from HD to 4k. Not the change most Bruins fans were hoping for, but it should make for a much more crisp image to get them by until next off-season.

Daktronics Brings TD Garden the First 2.5-Millimeter Centerhung Video Screens In Sports

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Dec. 2, 2019 – TD Garden continues to improve the game-day experience for its fans by partnering with Daktronics (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, to install the first 2.5-millimeter centerhung video screens this year. The installation marks the tightest pixel pitch on a centerhung in sports.

"Our game presentation enhancements are some of the most exciting parts of TD Garden's significant 'Legendary Transformation' this year," said Lorraine Spadaro, vice president of technology at TD Garden. "The complete overhaul of the HDX screens significantly enhances the clarity and quality of game presentation and brings 4K quality video to our guests."

The centerhung's upgrade includes four new main video screens retrofitted into the existing structure to bring an overhauled viewing experience. Each display features 4.5 million pixels and measures 13 feet high by 23 feet wide.

"The tight 2.5-millimeter pixel pitch of their centerhung screens position TD Garden as innovators in the use of LED technology in sports venues," said Daktronics President and CEO Reece Kurtenbach. "We're proud to work with TD Garden on their venue upgrade efforts."

The centerhung improvements come on the heels of 30 LED displays being installed in 2018 in vomitory locations along the seating fascia. These displays also featured the tight 2.5-millimeter line spacing for high-resolution imagery.

The new technology adds to the existing LED displays Daktronics had previously installed at the venue including two LED digital billboards and two 360-degree ribbon boards along the seating fascia.

The Bruins love their excuses.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I will start with my anxiety is usually under control but a combo of the unknown, an already crazy day and a fear of hights was the perfect storm for me last night. My friend and I enjoyed Rafters and the game (despite the outcome) but I just couldn't fully relax until I was at another bar getting food postgame.

This is Rafters 14 Row A. They need to put some sort of ledge to break up the feeling like you are dangling in the air.

Space is tight and people are grabbing the glass to get by people. IMO, it is an accident waiting to happen.

full

This is from row B which is awesome imo. You have room (still no cup holder tho) and you feel safe and secure.

full

This is from SRO. IMO, I should have stayed there but the woman in front of me kept blocking my view (short people problems).

full

It is cold up there so you have to dress accordingly. The bar staff was awesome as were the ushers. They sell 25 oz cans of beer which was awesome (I only had 1).

This is the main bar you see when you come off the express elevator. You get a wristband to go to it but we didn't check it out.

full

Bottom line, I would sit up there again in a different spot and only if I had a spot in row B or standing room. If I had the money and ability to write it off, I would get a membership at least for the B's games.

Definitely curious to see how things are for a Celtics game or concert up there.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
We also took in part of the game from Rafters ( moved back to our seats in Loge 7 after the second long time out)

The pluses...lots of room to either walk around or to watch the game, top notch ushers and staff, express elevators and literally no security lines, significantly less noise, excellent sight lines ( but distant- see below)

The downsides...physically a long way from the game, a feeling of being isolated and watching the game in a theater and not being in the Garden, significantly chillier, the first row takes a bit of getting used to, lack of neighbors you know

Net- like between the benches worth doing for the experience but I'll stay in the Loge as my usual mode of watching

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Net- like between the benches worth doing for the experience but I'll stay in the Loge as my usual mode of watching

I haven’t been to the new Rafters, but I have gone to the ninth floor a couple of times or renovation, and I agree with this. I imagine the atmosphere is a little better, with more people and more beer, but being so far from the action made me wonder if I shouldn’t be watching from home.

It was nice, and they definitely made an effort to jazz up the place. But if you just want to see the game, I think the lower seats are a bit better. Given unlimited resources, I love the club seats. Great view, and they were the most comfortable seats pre-reno.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I haven’t been to the new Rafters, but I have gone to the ninth floor a couple of times or renovation, and I agree with this. I imagine the atmosphere is a little better, with more people and more beer, but being so far from the action made me wonder if I shouldn’t be watching from home.

It was nice, and they definitely made an effort to jazz up the place. But if you just want to see the game, I think the lower seats are a bit better. Given unlimited resources, I love the club seats. Great view, and they were the most comfortable seats pre-reno.
Agree with everything here. Level 9 i think could be fun if you have a large group, but it’s really hard to immerse yourself in the atmosphere cuz you’re floating a half mile on top of everything.

Level 5 is where it’s at. The view is incredible. It’s just crazy expensive

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Based on early reviews of the summer reno here, I sprung for a club seat when I went solo in Nov. it was plenty comfy and service was good too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad