Impact Thread - Make Amarikwa Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
It's all about what you base it on. To me being a major league means having the best athletes of your sport.

No soccer league in the world has all the best athletes, they are all playing in different leagues. It's a global sport, the scale is another. There is more than 1 major league who overwhelmingly has all the best players and ressources. Your NA sports references are just not applicable as to leagues.

MLS attracts some of the best players of the world, young and old. It seems to me like a major league by your standards.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Soccer is way too global to be reduced to the NA format of sports. The name itself 'Major League Soccer' is a mistake by the league. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the name in the next few years.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Soccer is way too global to be reduced to the NA format of sports. The name itself 'Major League Soccer' is a mistake by the league. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the name in the next few years.

They won't change the name, it has good brand value at this point. 20 years of history and 10 years of global presence.

Rebranding would be a step back, not a good idea from a marketing point, IMO.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I think it's in the best interest of the CSA to invest in the pro clubs academies. We have a huge event in 2026 and we need to invest in our youth to build a strong team for the World Cup. It shouldn't rely solely on the pro clubs owners to do so.

I hear ya, but man, the CSA have been having a hard time just organizing friendlies for the NT.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
They won't change the name, it has good brand value at this point. 20 years of history and 10 years of global presence.

Rebranding would be a step back, not a good idea from a marketing point, IMO.

Changing the name wouldn't change the history, and I'm pretty sure the main marketing weapon of the league is it's biggest stars. it would just help change the perception of MLS trying to reach MLB, NFL and NHL. It's not the same thing and it will never be. MLS brand belongs in an era where Americans were trying to make soccer their own thing, almost like the XFL with Vince Mcmahon, it's way past that. The league is legit now.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
MLS attracts some of the best players of the world, young and old. It seems to me like a major league by your standards.

What a difference a year makes.

Here is what I perceive to be the Impact starting 11:
Bush
Diallo-Fanni-Camacho
Sagna-Piette-Raitala
Silva-Taider-Piatti
Amerikwa

Here is SECOND team (!!):
Diop
Duvall-Cabrera-Fisher-Lovitz (Last year's four starters!)
Krolicki-Azira-Shome
Vargas-Mancosu-Jackson

Wow, that's a big shift in one season in quality.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
It's all about what you base it on. To me being a major league means having the best athletes of your sport.

No minor leagues have players who make millions a year, spend millions of dollars on players and training facilities and get the amount of coverage that MLS gets. Soccer, unlike other sports we have here isn't a North American sport and is a mega-universal sport. There can't be two-three leagues with all the best players like you see it in hockey or baseball where there is just one.

MLS = Major league
Can Premier league = Minor league for now.

Why would they change its name?????? It's way too late for that, they changed the logo 4 years ago and ppl lost their mind. The league just keeps on growing and fastly. If we were still stuck in 2000, 18 years later (by this league standards) and going absolutely nowhere I would probably agree with you , but at this point it's just unnecessary

Changing the name wouldn't change the history, and I'm pretty sure the main marketing weapon of the league is it's biggest stars. it would just help change the perception of MLS trying to reach MLB, NFL and NHL. It's not the same thing and it will never be. MLS brand belongs in an era where Americans were trying to make soccer their own thing, almost like the XFL with Vince Mcmahon, it's way past that. The league is legit now.

and it'll remain that way, I have yet to see a league in the world that has a salary cap, drafts, ASG, designated player concept, playoffs. That's what makes MLS unique and different to other league. Why fit in with the rest? Why not just stand out?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
What a difference a year makes.

Here is what I perceive to be the Impact starting 11:
Bush
Diallo-Fanni-Camacho
Sagna-Piette-Raitala
Silva-Taider-Piatti
Amerikwa

Here is SECOND team (!!):
Diop
Duvall-Cabrera-Fisher-Lovitz (Last year's four starters!)
Krolicki-Azira-Shome
Vargas-Mancosu-Jackson

Wow, that's a big shift in one season in quality.

I know Raitala played in Eredivise, La Liga and Bundesliga and just scored a screamer but as much as I like him, shouldn't Lovitz start over him especially with 5 defenders?

And I dig your starting XI but good chance that Garde will start his bff Mancosu over Amarikwa

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I know Raitala played in Eredivise, La Liga and Bundesliga and just scored a screamer but as much as I like him, shouldn't Lovitz start over him especially with 5 defenders?

And I dig your starting XI but good chance that Garde will start his bff Mancosu over Amarikwa

I think it's not easy to separate those two. I personally prefer Lovitz for his chemistry with Nacho and what he brings offensively. But Raitala is probably a bit better in duels and to defend.

Oh and yeah FYI, Raitala won the goal of the week!

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
But Raitala is probably a bit better in duels and to defend.
Is it THAT important with our trifecta of great center backs? Since Juin, Lovitz has been lights out in ball movement, his 1 touch pass play is 5x better than it was last year, and so is his center ball.. He gives it his all every single game too.

If he's healthy, I see no reason to pull Lovitz out.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Is it THAT important with our trifecta of great center backs? Since Juin, Lovitz has been lights out in ball movement, his 1 touch pass play is 5x better than it was last year, and so is his center ball.. He gives it his all every single game too.

If he's healthy, I see no reason to pull Lovitz out.

I don't think he's that much better defensively to deserve the start over Lovitz as well. That's why I said, "I prefer Lovitz". ;)

Reactions: Pax Macioretty

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
For the rest of the season, it's gonna be Lovitz-Camacho-Fanni-Sagna. Diallo will alternate with Fanni or Camacho depending on who's injured. Next season will be interesting though. One between Raitala and Cabrera will have to go.

Edit: And we'll have to bring a younger outside back who has a more of a modern profile to replace Sagna eventually.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I prefer Raitala over Lovitz, but it's not that big a deal either way.

I don't think Sagna is the greatest defender, and so I would like to see 3 CB, Piette as Holding Midfielder, Sagna and either Raitala or Lovitz as Wingbacks, and the four attackers I listed.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
165153.png

176376.png
194765.png
218868.png

Reactions: Emanresu Wen

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I prefer Raitala over Lovitz, but it's not that big a deal either way.

I don't think Sagna is the greatest defender, and so I would like to see 3 CB, Piette as Holding Midfielder, Sagna and either Raitala or Lovitz as Wingbacks, and the four attackers I listed.

Actually, from what I gather, Sagna's biggest strength is defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad