Impact Thread - Make Amarikwa Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Olivier Brett's take on the #IMFC twitterstorm https://gabriel-gateway.rncm.ca/audios/extraits/cklx/generated/fc919_2018-08-15.mp3

Pretty much what I think.

Those are some pretty bad takes. Anyone can talk about football, but can't say anything they want. Especially when they have no idea what they're talking about. Embarassing when people compare hockey specifics to the impact. You don't see that ever in any of the big hockey countries, why should we allow that here? If the people want to join the football debates, they should educate themselves about the sport. In the same way that people who talk about hockey know that you can't just say dumb things about who should be the Habs 1st line center.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Those are some pretty bad takes. Anyone can talk about football, but can't say anything they want. Especially when they have no idea what they're talking about. Embarassing when people compare hockey specifics to the impact. You don't see that ever in any of the big hockey countries, why should we allow that here? If the people want to join the football debates, they should educate themselves about the sport. In the same way that people who talk about hockey know that you can't just say dumb things about who should be the Habs 1st line center.

Looking down at people that show interest in the Impact or the MLS will not help increase the popularity of the sport in the province. Why not take the time and share your passion for the sport with other people? People complain about the lack of coverage, which is definitely an issue, but then also complain when there is more coverage because people (journalists and whatnot) are not as educated about that sport than other North American sports. Personally, if I hear that a "ligne ouverte" talks #IMFC or soccer, even if what is said is not 100% accurate, I think it's positive for the growth of the sport. Rather than spitting at them for their lack of knowledge, why not call in and educate the animator and the listeners?

I mean, before the Impact entered MLS, I probably was not more educated than most of those fans/journalists you seem to despise. Yes I did the effort to learn about the sport, but it's hard to learn if you don't make mistakes/get proven wrong. I'm sure I've said a bunch of things that didn't make sense on here, and probably still do quite honestly.:laugh:

If we want more people to gain interest in the team, we need to be a welcoming community.

Finally, for the references to hockey all the time, that's because nowhere else in the world is hockey as big as in Canada/Québec. Montréal is the Hockey Mecca, where the sport was born for christ's sake. Everybody has their own reference system. Here's an example I saw here in Scotland.

They used the expression " a cross" rather than a cross-ice pass when describing the play in a hockey game. I understand why they do that, because their biggest sport reference is football. I did not fold my panties in a bunch when I heard that, I accepted the difference in culture and moved on!

Last edited:
Reactions: TRG

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Oh and yeah FYI, Raitala won the goal of the week!

Raitala's face when he found out he beat Rooney/Acosta for gotw...

Troll+Face.jpg

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I mean, before the Impact entered MLS, I probably was not more educated than most of those fans/journalists you seem to despise. Yes I did the effort to learn about the sport, but it's hard to learn if you don't make mistakes/get proven wrong. I'm sure I've said a bunch of things that didn't make sense on here, and probably still do quite honestly.:laugh:

Thank you for taking the time to make this post. It wasn't an attack towards new fans, but I find this part of your argument as the most relevant. YOU did the effort to learn about the sport and admit that there were mistakes along the way and times where you had to be proven wrong. These journalists and so called new fans don't want to learn or don't feel like they are in the wrong most of the time. Compare the MLS to the CFL not realizing that the MLS can actually aspire into becoming a premier league in the world unlike the CFL who will always be nothing more than a local sport. It's embarassing how much they are proud of their ignorance.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Looking down at people that show interest in the Impact or the MLS will not help increase the popularity of the sport in the province. Why not take the time and share your passion for the sport with other people? People complain about the lack of coverage, which is definitely an issue, but then also complain when there is more coverage because people (journalists and whatnot) are not as educated about that sport than other North American sports. Personally, if I hear that a "ligne ouverte" talks #IMFC or soccer, even if what is said is not 100% accurate, I think it's positive for the growth of the sport. Rather than spitting at them for their lack of knowledge, why not call in and educate the animator and the listeners?

If we want more people to gain interest in the team, we need to be a welcoming community.

Finally, for the references to hockey all the time, that's because nowhere else in the world is hockey as big as in Canada/Québec. Montréal is the Hockey Mecca, where the sport was born for christ's sake. Everybody has their own reference system. Here's an example I saw here in Scotland.

They used the expression " a cross" rather than a cross-ice pass when describing the play in a hockey game. I understand why they do that, because their biggest sport reference is football. I did not fold my panties in a bunch when I heard that, I accepted the difference in culture and moved on!

But you're comparing casual fans to pundits and reporters though. They're being paid to educate themselves. They're just lazy ass.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
But your comparing casual fans to pundits and reporters though. They're being paid to educate themselves. They're just lazy ass.

I think it's wrong to put all of them in one basket. Some are legitimately interested and intrigued by the Impact and MLS. For instance, I consider Anthony Marcotte to be of good faith when he talks about soccer, while I cannot say the same about Richard Labbé. There are a lot of journalists/sports pundits that, while they certainly can't be called experts, show some will to learn about the league and soccer in general.

Here's a non-exhaustive list: Jean-Charles Lajoie, Réjean Tremblay, Antoine Deshaies, Jérémy Rainville, Mario Langlois, JP Bertrand, CA Sinotte, Daniel Melançon, Yannick Bouchard, Frédéric Plante, Ron Fournier, Tony Marinaro, Derek Aucoin, Jean-René Dufort, Georges Laracque, Stéphane Gonzalez, Mathias Brunet, Stéphane Laporte, Guillaume Lefrançois, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to make this post. It wasn't an attack towards new fans, but I find this part of your argument as the most relevant. YOU did the effort to learn about the sport and admit that there were mistakes along the way and times where you had to be proven wrong. These journalists and so called new fans don't want to learn or don't feel like they are in the wrong most of the time. Compare the MLS to the CFL not realizing that the MLS can actually aspire into becoming a premier league in the world unlike the CFL who will always be nothing more than a local sport. It's embarassing how much they are proud of their ignorance.

Again, I feel it's wrong to say all or even most people fit into this description. Give the newcomers a chance to learn by discussing with them, and when they're saying things that are wrong, calmly explain to them how things work in the MLS and whatnot. Confronting them and saying they do not have the right to talk about the Impact because they don't know squat won't encourage them to learn more but rather enrage them.

If some people say MLS is nothing compare to the CFL, challenge them to come to a game at Stade Saputo to judge by themselves first hand. If they leave the stadium unhappy (which would honestly surprise me) then there's no hope for them ever being soccer fans.

I have a bunch of friends who would never have dared come see a game for various reasons. I've managed to convince most of them to come to a game at Stade Saputo and they all enjoyed it.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
that guy would be great in IMFC jersey :naughty:
Cristián Gutiérrez - Player Profile 2018
fun stats... he is born in Quebec

Diego Gutiérrez - Player Profile 2018

Yeah, the Gutiérrez Zuñiga twins, born in Québec. Their parents are Chilean. Both play in the Chilean 1st division.

Diego, the least rated of both, is in the Canadian NT program, he's not good enough to play in MLS yet imo.
Cristián was hyped a few years ago when he was with Colo Colo and was on the verge of getting into the senior chilean NT, but he wasn't at the height of expectations and has fallen down the pecking order I beleive. He could always decide to play for Canada one day. Not too sure how he'd do in MLS either, I havent heard much of him since he left Colo Colo.

Reactions: QuebecPride

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
do you know anything about this guy also ?
Juan Córdova - Player Profile 2018

Yeah, he's also in the Canadian NT program, he was called up by Zambrano. He played here for the friendly in Mtl, iirc. Last time I checked, he was with Huachipato in Chile (same team as where Cristián is now) and strggling to get minutes there. Him and Cristián are fullbacks, but nothing significantly better than what we already have imo. Not to forget we also have Daniel Kinumbe coming up who might get a shot next season.

Just for fun though, since we're looking at obscure domestic players, there are 3 "bigger name" players with a few years ahead of them and that people forget about, or dont know are domestic players, and which I'd like to see come to a Canadian team one day (and why not here?): Jonathan DeGuzman (brother of the most capped Canadian of all time, played for Netherlands, with Frankfurt in Bundesliga right now, 29 yo dm/cm) , Asmir Begovic (yes, the ex Chelsea Bosnian gk is also Canadian and played for us at youth level) and Bryan Cristante (Plays for the Italian NT, has been doing great in Serie A, just joined Roma on loan, his father is Canadian, cm, 23yo).

Last edited:
Reactions: pylero and Krnage

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Yeah, he's also in the Canadian NT program, he was called up by Zambrano. He played here for the friendly in Mtl, iirc. Last time I checked, he was with Huachipato in Chile (same team as where Cristián is now) and strggling to get minutes there. Him and Cristián are fullbacks, but nothing significantly better than what we already have imo. Not to forget we also have Daniel Kinumbe coming up who might get a shot next season.

Just for fun though, since we're looking at obscure domestic players, there are 3 "bigger name" players with a few years ahead of them and that people forget about, or dont know are domestic players, and which I'd like to see come to a Canadian team one day (and why not here?): Jonathan DeGuzman (brother of the most capped Canadian of all time, played for Netherlands, with Frankfurt in Bundesliga right now, 29 yo dm/cm) , Asmir Begovic (yes, the ex Chelsea Bosnian gk is also Canadian and played for us at youth level) and Bryan Cristante (Plays for the Italian NT, has been doing great in Serie A, just joined Roma on loan, his father is Canadian, cm, 23yo).

I still remember when Begovic was subbed in almost at the end of a friendly international game just to make sure he can only play for Bosnia, which is my home country :)

A bit controversial of a decision, because he was completely developed in Canada.

Reactions: ShaMu

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

De Guzman could eventually come. I don’t see Begovic coming before maybe 3 years, and Cristante’s career is on a big rise. He just transferred to Roma and I think is also getting regular call ups to the Italian NT. Forget about him for the next 10 years or so.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
De Guzman could eventually come. I don’t see Begovic coming before maybe 3 years, and Cristante’s career is on a big rise. He just transferred to Roma and I think is also getting regular call ups to the Italian NT. Forget about him for the next 10 years or so.

Honestly, I dont think any of them will come here, or, maybe DeGuzman... nah.

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/impact-amarikwa-et-azira-veulent-laisser-leur-marque-1.6297910

Du côté d’Ariza, même s’il est surtout à l’aise en tant que milieu défensif, c’est un peu plus avancé sur le terrain que Rémi Garde entend l’utiliser.
« D’ailleurs, Michael est rentré dans cette position à la place de Ken à Salt Lake. C’est important pour moi de pouvoir compter sur lui à ce poste-là, a expliqué Garde. Je sais qu’il n’est pas très familier avec ça, mais c’est quelqu’un avec quand même pas mal d’expérience et qui doit pouvoir sans sortir sans problème. »

:yo:

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Good news for him, he needs to find a new team where he can get minutes, he was never given the chance here perhaps if he had a French name... He can find another team in MLS, USL or CPL and work his way up faster. 2017 SuperDraft was probably the weakest in years though.

I agree with all of what you just said but I personally will add that any bad publicity is still publicity. The fact that these so called 'journalists' have to spend an ounce of energy on bashing a growing culture speaks volume. They never shit on CFL, always on IMFC and MLS and there are reasons. And by journalists I mean the two, three clowns, lots of reliable and professional journalists in Montreal.

As for what @QuebecPride said, from what I've seen, people are ALWAYS welcoming new fans. I have yet to see someone acting narrow minded on a new intrigued and curious fan. It's the ones that are acting ignorant that get called out.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuebecPride

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I was just coming to post Juventus' official "Thank you" tweet about this. So Marchisio is a free agent and that means he is eligible to be brought in by September 13th (or 14th, I forget). However, on ESPNFC's website, they say he's been linked to a team in Ligue 1 and made no mention of MLS.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Do we have a INT spot left?

Nope.

1 - Piatti
2 - Cabrera
3 - Mancosu
4 - Taider
5 - Silva
6 - Camacho
7 - Fanni
8 - Diallo
9 - Vargas
10 - Raitala
11 - Sagna

Each team starts the season with 8 International Spots, IMFC acquired 3 in trades from: Orlando, San Jose, and Portland for a total of 11. And the transfer window closing also puts an end to trades, as well. So they can't get another international spot unless they end up liberating one by sending one to another league (I'm looking at Mancosu for Serie B).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Yeah we've been linked to Marchisio for a while now. I wouldn't expect him to be brought in this season. He'd only get to play about 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad