HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Reactions: TRG

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A lot of interesting news and notes today on IMFC. But I have to say, my main thrill right now is seeing AEK eliminate Celtic from Champions League and PAOK eliminate Spartak Moscow. Both have qualified for the Play-Off Round just before the Group Stage. AEK will face Hungarian team Mol Vidi and PAOK will face Benfica.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Marcotte and Labbé will talk about the whole thing tomorrow morning again lol

For Pompeius, he says he has never received so many notifications on Twitter in his life about the morning segment.

A nice text about how no FC Montréal hurts the development of acedemy graduates

La fin du FC Montréal, un frein au développement des joueurs d’ici | ICI.Radio-Canada.ca

The whole thing is pretty dumb honestly. I mean, if you play your matches in big stadiums in front of 15k+ crowds , in every big city in north america , you obviously ARE in a major league. The fact that the mainstream sports media in the country isn't soccer savvy shouldn't matter at all in the big picture, it's their loss, it doesn't make soccer less of a big sport. Sports journalists in general should go out way more, see the world a little you know ?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
For those who haven't listened to Sagna's interview and Garde's comments on his arrival

Also, according to this, Bush has saved the most goals in the league this year.

Keeper xG 2018

At 144, he has the most shots against in the league too. Hopefully the team improves in its defensive coverage and gives him a break soon.
Joël Bats has done magnificent work with Bush :clap:

Reactions: dinodebino

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The whole thing is pretty dumb honestly. I mean, if you play your matches in big stadiums in front of 15k+ crowds , in every big city in north america , you obviously ARE in a major league. The fact that the mainstream sports media in the country isn't soccer savvy shouldn't matter at all in the big picture, it's their loss, it doesn't make soccer less of a big sport. Sports journalists in general should go out way more, see the world a little you know ?
Soccer Will Soon Be America's Third-Favorite Spectator Sport

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I just got back from vacations on time to witness another #imfc pissing contest, yay.

The difference should be made between major sport and major league. MLS is a minor league of a major sport. NHL is a major league of a minor sport.

I'm not to sure what we're supposed to be basing this on, but I'd strongly diseagree that MLS is a minor league in world soccer. It is one of the most important leagues in the Americas with the top tier of Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico. It's a league which is broadcasted worldwide and which is benefiting from being popular outside of it's own national market, unlike other top leagues like France, or other decent leagues like Greece, per example.

Imo, MLS is a top 10 soccer league in the world, and there are hundreds of leagues.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
A nice text about how no FC Montréal hurts the development of acedemy graduates

La fin du FC Montréal, un frein au développement des joueurs d’ici | ICI.Radio-Canada.ca

Thumbs up to the writer, a very necessary peice. Most pertinent article I've read in a while about imfc. Sure, many of us supporters know this stuff, but it's still not said enough.

The team sabotages it's own development structure and is not a viable path for soccer players growing up here. Some of the half-assed pundits we have could talk more about this stuff instead of who's daddy cares about soccer the most.

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Thumbs up to the writer, a very necessary peice. Most pertinent article I've read in a while about imfc. Sure, many of us supporters know this stuff, but it's still not said enough.

The team sabotages it's own development structure and is not a viable path for soccer players growing up here. Some of the half-assed pundits we have could talk more about this stuff instead of who's daddy cares about soccer the most.

I think it's in the best interest of the CSA to invest in the pro clubs academies. We have a huge event in 2026 and we need to invest in our youth to build a strong team for the World Cup. It shouldn't rely solely on the pro clubs owners to do so.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Kinumbe starting for Ottawa on the LW

As usual, TMG and Crépeau play as well.

JGL on the bench.

Also the U13 played their first game today at the U13 CCL in Mexico and it looks like they could teach the pro team how to score on free kicks.

The kids won 2-1 vs. Santa Ana (El Salvador) :thumbu:

Finally, for your daily QP recap, here`s a great quote from Brett`s article today.

L’Impact ressemble de plus en plus à sa ville. Environ la moitié des joueurs mis sous contrat par Rémi Garde depuis son arrivée sont francophones. À l’entraînement, l’alternance entre l’anglais et le français se fait avec aisance. Le « bonjour, Hi » de la rue Ste-Catherine a fait son chemin jusqu’au Centre Nutrilait.

Un Argentin demeure le joueur le plus talentueux du club et c’est un gardien de l’Ohio qui le chauffe pour le titre de joueur de la saison. Parfait comme ça.

Après 5 ans et demi d’aventure MLS, il est tout de même rassurant de voir qu’on ne subit plus le fait francophone chez l’Impact. On a plutôt choisi d’en profiter.

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/bonjour-hi-1.6296652

It is indeed great to see the Impact embrace it's competitive advantage within the MLS, namely the fact that it plays in a Francophone city. This is unique in the league, and the team has thus much more appeal for French, Walloons, Swiss, and french-speaking Africans. It`s quite clear now that Briand wouldn't have come to MLS if it wasn't in Montréal, because he wanted his family to be in a french-speaking environment. That effect is increased by the fact that we have a highly respected French coach who has donned the jersey for Les Bleus and Arsenal. I expect it to grow with time as well, as the alumni will be able to sell the Impact project and talk what the MLS is like and what to expect in Montréal. As Brett points out, the team is currently very representative of the city, considering half of its acquisitions were francos, pis c'est ben correct comme ça!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm scared of D.C.
i7OY8TH.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad