Speculation: iMac: Canucks will be "aggressive" on July 1st with regards to second-tier FAs

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I agree but on name value alone there will still be someone dumb enough to give him a multi year deal.

You'd hope the recent examples of similar situations (Lucic and Eriksson among them) would put a cap on Simmonds deal. Plus he's been overtly bad recently. I've a suspicion he may get less than people think. Not that I at all endorse the Canucks signing him.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Simmonds screams “declining immediately” and we should not go anywhere near him.

The only UFAs I’m willing to invest big money and term towards are Panarin, Karlsson, Duchene and Skinner.

I’d also throw big money (but not term) at guys like Pavelski, Lee, Zuccarello and Myers.
Would love to sign Duchene and Skinner,while dumping Baertschi,Spooner,Eriksson,Sutter,ect.
But we have Benning,so I'm sure on his list is a bunch of guys that we do not want.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I'd have interest in Gustav Nyqvist to play with Pettersson and Boeser.

Joonas Donskoi to play with Horvat and Pearson. Saddles Horvat with a couple of tweeners but that is where the team is and those are some of the better tweeners left available.

Patrik Nemeth/Ben Chiarot on the left side D replacement for Edler. Hughes takes his PP time while they would cover his ES and PK time.

Tanev should be moved for whatever top 90 draft picks. Look into retaining Luke Schenn, signing Tim Heed, trading for Colin Miller and/or Mark Pysyk to fill out the right side.

I'm not going to pretend like i know what these FA are going to get for term/dollars though I'm sure it is it more than I'm willing to do but these are the targets that I see that are a fit.
LOL. This must be Ryan Biech's account on here. Sounding exactly like the article he just wrote. This team does not need more 3rd liners like Donskoi.

This team needs to go big game hunting for Panarin, Karlsson and Duchene. Otherwise, tighten the purse strings and possibly try to absorb one of the guys from teams like Toronto or Tampa in a trade.

100% agree on trading Tanev though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The concern I have is Benning reaching to fill the toughness 'void' caused by Roussel being gone early in the year. He loves the bottom six grinders and that injury is a perfect excuse for him to sign someone.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What is someone like Gustav Nyquist considered? Tier 1 or tier 2? Dude is literally a 2nd line player his entire career, gets 60 point in his so called "Contract year" career best, what is he? cause him I really wouldn't mind actually. Marcus Johansen however a big no.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
What is someone like Gustav Nyquist considered? Tier 1 or tier 2? Dude is literally a 2nd line player his entire career, gets 60 point in his so called "Contract year" career best, what is he? cause him I really wouldn't mind actually. Marcus Johansen however a big no.
I'd be skeptical about Nyquist. Turning 30. Coming off a 60pt season. We've seen this movie before with Eriksson.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'd be skeptical about Nyquist. Turning 30. Coming off a 60pt season. We've seen this movie before with Eriksson.

Nyquist isn't in the same class of a player as Eriksson was though. Eriksson had 5 25+ goal 60+ point seasons. Plus it's not like Nyquist performs well in the playoffs or having scoring a lot of goals this playoffs. He has 5 goals 19 points in 52 career playoff games. But he traditionally does have strong underlying numbers.

Personally, I treat him like a younger but lesser Vrbata. He's a complimentary top 6 player. He's a guy that you sign to a 2-3 year contract for about $4M AAV to add to your lineup. As a right winger, I generally have no issues with signing him to a 2 year deal at say max $5M AAV per se. He's definitely not a player I would give term and money to.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
It's like when you have a friend that just keeps making good choices. Everyone knows the person is making a positive choice but all you can do, fortunately, is sit back and watch it unfold.

No get rid of all the negativity all the haters............we'll have a solid structure to go by.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The concept of "asset value" is not one this management group subscribes to. There are players you like, you keep them. There are players you don't like, you trade them away. If you want a player, you pay what they cost. If you can't pay that, you don't. That's the framework Benning + Weisbrod operate in.
The Donald Trump School of Business Management and Negotiation.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Talking about the canucks blueline you have to consider more than thing like Hutton played top 4 minutes and was OK when away from guys like Delzaster and Real Gud. Or that Edler is a first pairing guy because he was leaned on. You can rank them as:

Edler

Tanev
Stecher

Hutton

Everyone else.

But when you put it into perspective the canucks don't really have a first pairing D-man anymore. They have three second pairing guys but two are declining. A decent to good third pairing guy. (I'm leaving Hughes out until we see more than a handful of games. I suspect he'll be a top pairing guy at some point). There is a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done on this blueline this summer and moving forward. Previous efforts to makeover the blueline have been a spectacular failure under this management group.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Tanev
Edler
Hutton
Stecher
Hughes
Biega
Schenn
Hutton above Stecher ? Wow. And Hughes? Stecher is a part of the future core and I have serious doubts that Hutton will be here in September. But fair enough, we just have very different views on the player

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Still don't agree that Stecher is better than Hutton. He really isn't.

Sheltered on the 3rd pairing until Feb, and Edler to carry him around thereafter.

Hutton doesn't get that, the guy was thrown in the deep end with an anchor most of the season.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Still don't agree that Stecher is better than Hutton. He really isn't.

Sheltered on the 3rd pairing until Feb, and Edler to carry him around thereafter.

Hutton doesn't get that, the guy was thrown in the deep end with an anchor most of the season.
And Hutton drowned. He was terrible. He had a decent stint when he was playing up in the lineup but he came crashing back to reality near the end of the season. He just can’t process the game quickly enough. Stecher is a far superior transitional dman. Also more gritty which is sad given their size. I used to be pretty hard on Stecher but he won me over this year

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Could you explain how he drowned? Maybe show some stats?

I don't think they're far off, but Stecher was never had the anchor Hutton had. And Stecher also got most of his minutes with the top forwards on the team.

$4m is not the same $4m it was in 2011 when Bieksa and Hamhuis were at $4.5-4.6.....people still haven't caught up to the cap rising.

Nuckies

May 16, 2019
Hilarious to read this thread and see people losing their mind over a clickbait article with no substance and act like its already happened. LOL

SMH

Reactions: Zippgunn

Nuckies

May 16, 2019
And Hutton drowned. He was terrible. He had a decent stint when he was playing up in the lineup but he came crashing back to reality near the end of the season. He just can’t process the game quickly enough. Stecher is a far superior transitional dman. Also more gritty which is sad given their size. I used to be pretty hard on Stecher but he won me over this year

Hutton had to take on minutes he wasn't ready for. He looked better this year than last but not as good as his rookie year. I think this year tells the Canucks what he is and can be. If he can take the next step and use last season as a step to improve he will be a valuable piece. If he flatlines or regresses then he should be moved. Defense is a team game, your dmen will not look as good if you don't possess the puck much, same reason Edler and Tanev keep getting hurt, when they are on, they are always in their own end having to block shots not up ice shooting. This team needs to actually learn to hang on to the puck better, and that is a coaching and "team" construction issue. I'm not saying Hutton is some great dman, but just its a bit early to asses and this year is where the rubber hits the road in telling us what we have. That being said, he is an 'enticing' package so if you can get a 2nd rounder for him, I'd consider it, he certainly will never be a player who isn't replaceable.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Could you explain how he drowned? Maybe show some stats?

I don't think they're far off, but Stecher was never had the anchor Hutton had. And Stecher also got most of his minutes with the top forwards on the team.

$4m is not the same $4m it was in 2011 when Bieksa and Hamhuis were at $4.5-4.6.....people still haven't caught up to the cap rising.
I’m not a stats guy but he clearly doesn’t drive offence and his possession stats are poor. Yes, Stecher was playing at the top of the lineup at the end of the year but he started on the 3rd pairing. He was playing top pair because he earned the opportunity. Stecher is also clearly the Canucks best penalty killer and it’s not close. Pretty impressive for a small guy

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Hutton had to take on minutes he wasn't ready for. He looked better this year than last but not as good as his rookie year. I think this year tells the Canucks what he is and can be. If he can take the next step and use last season as a step to improve he will be a valuable piece. If he flatlines or regresses then he should be moved. Defense is a team game, your dmen will not look as good if you don't possess the puck much, same reason Edler and Tanev keep getting hurt, when they are on, they are always in their own end having to block shots not up ice shooting. This team needs to actually learn to hang on to the puck better, and that is a coaching and "team" construction issue. I'm not saying Hutton is some great dman, but just its a bit early to asses and this year is where the rubber hits the road in telling us what we have. That being said, he is an 'enticing' package so if you can get a 2nd rounder for him, I'd consider it, he certainly will never be a player who isn't replaceable.
I mean the guy is 26, he is what he is at this point. Trading him for a 2nd would be extremely prudent. He will earn too much to be a bottom pairing guy. I’d rather roll with Sautner for $1MM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad