Speculation: iMac: Canucks will be "aggressive" on July 1st with regards to second-tier FAs

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
MacIntyre: 'Canucks will be aggressive on July 1st' - Sportsnet.ca

Iain Macintyre keeps harping on Tyler Myers and before sadly passing away Botchford was saying Wayne Simmons to play right wing with Bo Horvat.

MOD: Here's some of the interesting takeaways from that interview.

• "I don't think the $10M guys make sense. Panarin's not coming here."
  • Really good players in the second tier, good forwards, but less d-men - can you get them at $6M? Will they want $8M? (iMac mentions players who are "comfortably in their twenties" - names Jeff Skinner (27), then Tyler Myers (29), then Jake Gardiner (29))
  • Wouldn't go 7 years on this second tier of players; can these players be had for $5M - $6M?
  • iMac: "We know Jim Benning's worst days have been on July 1st." (that's iMac saying that! ouch!) "They need to be careful. They're hoping for a lot."
  • Team is hoping to sign a top-six winger and top-four D. iMac unsure if they can get both.
  • If it's a guy they "have to have," iMac can see them swinging for the fences a little bit
  • iMac is sure Canucks want 2 years for Edler and that Edler wants 3; believes trade protection is a "deal-killer"; "I think for sure they're not gonna give him a no-move clause"
  • Jake Virtanen traded for D if we strike out in free agency there? iMac thinks that's possible, bringing up the idea of a project-for-project trade
MOD: Here is the Botchford Athletties article suggesting the Canucks have been linked to Micheal Ferland (27), Marcus Johansson (29) and Wayne Simmonds (31). It is from February 24th.

All listed ages are post-dated to the start of next season

Last edited by a moderator:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This - as many of us have been predicting for some time - is going to be a complete f***ing disaster.

This summer has the potential to make Loui Eriksson look like piddling small potatoes.

Dumbest man in hockey with no ability to evaluate talent spending $20 million/year in cap space to desperately try and get an extension? Awesome.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
It’s just a huge mistake many on this forum can see coming. The team is 3 years away minimum to make the playoffs and that’s if we continue to build through the draft with top 10 picks.

So now we’re going to have over paid UFA’s that will have no benefit to the team during the most productive years of their contracts 28,29,30 years old. And have underperforming contracts with players on the decline during prime EP, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat years.

I know Benning will take the brunt of the blame (as he should) but the Aquilinis short sightedness is the real problem here.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
If this happens I might just quit watching hockey since I can’t convert myself to be a fan of another team

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can't believe ownership would even allow this to happen without bringing an adult into the management room. It's mind boggling that people with money would give the current group authority to sign any contracts given their track record. It really highlights how we have an ownership problem above all else.

How you don't look at this and see a pending f***ing disaster is beyond me.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I can't believe ownership would even allow this to happen without bringing an adult into the management room. It's mind boggling that people with money would give the current group authority to sign any contracts given their track record. It really highlights how we have an ownership problem above all else.

How you don't look at this and see a pending ****ing disaster is beyond me.
The current group doesn’t have authority to sign any contracts....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
if you cant get the star players
then dont
Karlsson and Bread man don’t see any chance of. Duchene I think he finally shed some of that baggage of his rep. He should find a winning team. He’s 28 already and been to the playoffs just twice in 10 years. The next 5 years are when he can be a core player.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The best part about that interview is Mouthpiece MacIntyre says the Canucks actually do not want to sign the top-end UFAs like Panarin because they'll cost too much, but they will be aggressive in the second tier. Well that's not exactly what everyone is afraid is going to happen? To be fair though, that's just a tacit acknowledgement that they're going to miss out on on the top-tier guys even if they are "aggressive" and are priming the fans to expect crappy contracts to second-tier free agents.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I fully expect Myers and Simmonds. A d-man who can’t keep his head above water and a 30 point winger in serious decline. And I fully expect they will cost the club $12 mil a year for several years.

I support going after Panarin and to a lesser extent Karlsson. Beyond that they should be looking for deals not bidding wars.

For the strategy to be wrong from the get go (even understanding they don’t have a shot at Panarin) is concerning to say the least.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

How you don't look at this and see a pending ****ing disaster is beyond me.

Ownership is behind this 100%. Where do you think the order comes from. Ownership has been the primary culprit from the start.

Benning is a bad GM but he's taking orders here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad