Speculation: iMac: Canucks will be "aggressive" on July 1st with regards to second-tier FAs

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Actually in terms of minutes per game Button was at least a #4 on the Canucks this past season. (2nd in terms of minutes per game). That's more an indictment of Barney Fife the GM than Huttons ability.

It's fine to want an upgrade over him but do you seriously think he'll be able to do that via trade or free agency which he failed to do so in the past FIVE years.

I consider Stecher more of the solid amateur work under this regime.
The Canucks top 4 D are:

Edler - Tanev
Hughes- Stecher

Full stop. Tanev is weak but he is way better than Hutton. Bennings ability’s don’t impact how I want the roster constructed. Who even knows if he will be here in September

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Guds sucked and Hutton sucked. They were both responsible
meh, give the FAR greater responsibility to the guy with 300 NHL games under his belt. As soon as Herpes was removed from Huttons, his play improved to the point Green had him only being 2nd in minutes per game behind Edler this past season. Though it was also as I said a result of the crap Benning has assembled on the blue line.

Green saw the error of his ways this season as he didn't increase Guds minutes much despite all the injuries to the D. He increased the ice time of Stecher and Hutton.

Again, Hutton is at least #4 on this team right now because there's nobody better at the moment. You tell me the four guys better than him right now.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
meh, give the FAR greater responsibility to the guy with 300 NHL games under his belt. As soon as Herpes was removed from Huttons, his play improved to the point Green had him only being 2nd in minutes per game behind Edler this past season. Though it was also as I said a result of the crap Benning has assembled on the blue line.

Green saw the error of his ways this season as he didn't increase Guds minutes much despite all the injuries to the D. He increased the ice time of Stecher and Hutton.

Again, Hutton is at least #4 on this team right now because there's nobody better at the moment. You tell me the four guys better than him right now.
They were both dog sh!t. Hutton couldn’t process the game fast enough and he would throw grenades at EG. EG would turn it over or fire it off the glass because he has the IQ of a midget hockey player. Blame EG more because he was a vet? Sure. But that doesn’t absolve Hutton for being a massive defensive liability. Green was forced to play Hutton up the lineup due to injuries and the terrible D that benning provided.

I guarantee he wasn’t comfortable playing Hutton in his top 4. As for who was better, Edler Tanev Hughes Stecher

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They were both dog sh!t. Hutton couldn’t process the game fast enough and he would throw grenades at EG. EG would turn it over or fire it off the glass because he has the IQ of a midget hockey player. Blame EG more because he was a vet? Sure. But that doesn’t absolve Hutton for being a massive defensive liability. Green was forced to play Hutton up the lineup due to injuries and the terrible D that benning provided.

I guarantee he wasn’t comfortable playing Hutton in his top 4. As for who was better, Edler Tanev Hughes Stecher
Regardless of what you may think of Hutton, Benning has shown nothing in five years of finding a pro better than him. He's better than a Myers with a Loui type of contract. Wouldn't shock me if he gives him a nmc so we'll have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Edit. Friggen autocorrect on phone lol.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Regardless of what you may think of Hutton, Benning has shown nothing in five years of finding a pro better than him. He's better than a Myers with a Loui type of contract. Wouldn't shock me if he gives him a nmc so we'll have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Edit. Drugging autocorrect on phone lol.
This all started because Travis said Hutton is better than Myers. That’s BS. I have no interest in Myers at the contract he will command. That’s another story

Reactions: Hit the post

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Hutton was very solid last season in a top-4 role when not chained to the boat anchor that was Gudbranson. To claim otherwise is just wrong.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Hutton was very solid last season in a top-4 role when not chained to the boat anchor that was Gudbranson. To claim otherwise is just wrong.
I thought he was ok. Just ok. Bottom line is he will earn too much to play on our 3rd pairing and we should explore trading him for a pick. I’ve spent far too long debating a bottom pairing dman and sadly I need to return to work

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The coach played Hutton about 3 more minutes a game on average.

I think he's better than Stecher, people just like Troy more because he's local.

Stecher got soft as 3rd pairing minutes until February and then got tons of Edler time after. He's never had to carry an anchor like Gudbranson.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
All the names mentioned (Myers, Zuc, Johansson, etc.) are already declining and likely won't have even a sniff of value associated with their "retirement" contracts. These are exactly the types of FAs you shouldn't be targeting unless they're putting you over the top to be a Cup contender in the next 1-2 years. Why do we continue to be the NHL's retirement home? I don't even think these are necessarily bad players, but why would you pay an absolute fortune in premiums for guys that aren't even going to move the needle that much and are effectively depth players (i.e. 2nd/3rd liners, 4/5 d-men).

Are the Canucks absolutely against finding any sort of value in free agency? Like philosophically opposed? It's like they purposefully target players that are going to bring the least utility per contract dollar paid.

The worst is we're going to sign some of these guys and the idiots in management are going to try to convince the fan base they've signed first liners or top-pairing d-men.

The concept of "asset value" is not one this management group subscribes to. There are players you like, you keep them. There are players you don't like, you trade them away. If you want a player, you pay what they cost. If you can't pay that, you don't. That's the framework Benning + Weisbrod operate in.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You'd think, at least at first blush, there's probably a real case to replace one of Stecher or Hutton with Myers if the salary wasn't going to be so stupid. Myers is clearly a materially better offensive player than both. He generated 31 all-purpose points (including 9 goals) with nearly half the PP/G time Hutton played. Assuming you basically triple Myer's PP time to the first unit (~3 mins / game) you'd think he'd be a 40+ point defenseman pretty easily. Edler had basically triple the PP time and generated roughly the same offensive output.

That assumes, obviously, that the Canucks broadly can generate offense better across the board.

Assuming you buy that Stecher and Hutton are basically even defensively it would make some sense to replace one of them with a more offensive-oriented guy in the top four. The issue, of course, is cost.

From what I've seen Jets fans say about Myers they're more worried about losing his shot/offense than anything else.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Has Karlsson playoff play despite being injured changed people's mind about not signing him? I think hes still quite effective injured. I think hes a worthwhile signing.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Nyqvist is a guy I would target.
Brock Nelson too.
Not feeling Simmonds, not feeling Eberle.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wayne Simmonds is finished. Like, based on his performance the last couple years he should be needing a training camp PTO to try and salvage his career.

Reactions: mathonwy

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I'd have interest in Gustav Nyqvist to play with Pettersson and Boeser.

Joonas Donskoi to play with Horvat and Pearson. Saddles Horvat with a couple of tweeners but that is where the team is and those are some of the better tweeners left available.

Patrik Nemeth/Ben Chiarot on the left side D replacement for Edler. Hughes takes his PP time while they would cover his ES and PK time.

Tanev should be moved for whatever top 90 draft picks. Look into retaining Luke Schenn, signing Tim Heed, trading for Colin Miller and/or Mark Pysyk to fill out the right side.

I'm not going to pretend like i know what these FA are going to get for term/dollars though I'm sure it is it more than I'm willing to do but these are the targets that I see that are a fit.

Reactions: tradervik

member 290103

Wayne Simmonds is finished. Like, based on his performance the last couple years he should be needing a training camp PTO to try and salvage his career.

I agree but on name value alone there will still be someone dumb enough to give him a multi year deal.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
How can the Canucks be aggressive in free agency going after mid-tier players when literally there’s no roster space?

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Erickkson-Beagle-Sutter
Spooner/Motte/Goldobin

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Schenn
Juolevi-Biega
Sauntner/Brisebois

Out: Granlund, Gaunce, Pouliot, Schaller

Last edited:

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
How can the Canucks be aggressive in free agency going after mid-tier players when literally there’s no roster space?

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Erickkson-Beagle-Sutter
Spooner/Motte/Goldobin

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Hughes-Schenn
Juolevi-Biega
Sauntner/Brisebois

Out: Granlund, Gaunce, Pouliot, Schaller

Current injuries, free agency status and some hopeful transactions.

Yes, as of today, the roster is full but what you see today isn't want is expected to be seen come start of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad