I'm Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part VIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
The players are nothing more than entitled sheep. They lack the critical thinking to make their own decisions or see the world like the average member of society.

They can hum and haw about this deal all they want, but it is the best offer they are going to see (outside of some tweaks to periphery issues). Bettman has sat on this offer since June, and in a rational world it would work. It's the conclusion both sides (and 2 other pro leagues) likely have expected.

The players, lead by Fehr, do not strike me as rational, however. We'll see.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hrm...I'll wait on confirmation on the HRR issue before passing judgement. If the owners are still screwing around with that they aren't really negotiating in good faith either. If HRR definition is the same, but 'codified'...deal better get done.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
And lo, the tide of PR sentiment is turned on its head, and the players are, again, "greedy ********"

Naw, both sides were always greedy ***** if you had any sense. It's just that more people in general see the players as greedy **** now.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Wait...so other sources are saying HRR wasn't changed? I'm starting to wonder if either side is actually reading these proposals, lol.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wait...so other sources are saying HRR wasn't changed? I'm starting to wonder if either side is actually reading these proposals, lol.

It was one of the first things I looked for when I saw details of the new deal. Quotes are just one page back - one blogger from cbsports.com and two guys with verified twitters.

Woops, only one guy has a verified twitter.

IslesBeBack*

We can't possibly lose a season when the NHL just threw a 50/50 offer on the players' plates, can they?

I mean who can blame the owners at this point. It's evident that this was the best offer the owners were going to make, and instead of waiting a season to do it, they did it now.

You have to wonder if Fehr is going to reshape this proposal and keep the 50/50. If that's the case, expect the season to be lost. The players are digging their own graves right now.

And really, Montador, shut up. :laugh: This is a guy who regularly screens his own goaltender.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The NHLPA don't care about the league and the FANS....it's all about $$$$

Yeah, but is that really supposed to surprise anyone?

Does the bridge builders union really care about helping the city by making another bridge? Or their paychecks?

What bothers me is the players pretend to care about the fans. Just be honest.

TheMightyWhale

Apr 6, 2011
The NHLPA don't care about the league and the FANS....it's all about $$$$

We'll see how much each side genuinely cares about playing hockey within the next week. The bottom line is this proposal isn't going to get accepted and is probably far from what the final proposal will be -- but there's an obvious sense of urgency from the NHL and relief from the players that we're here today. Again, now we'll see if they really care more about getting a deal done and getting on the ice or if they care more about their image.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Naw, both sides were always greedy ***** if you had any sense. It's just that more people in general see the players as greedy **** now.

That's because the players are greedy ****s. The worst part about hockey players is that their is no solidarity in their union. A chunk of the players are over in other leagues making even more money while the majority are back home. Some players don't care because they've already made their millions and some players have no idea what is going on. The entire NHLPA is a joke union and the worst of all the major sports.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Very interesting: NHL proposal includes willingness to third-party arbitration on supplemental discipline...

Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick
Ok it's now a 50/50 offer. Players should accept it now and play their best hockey and drive revenue to 4 billion and all is good in NHL

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
In other words, a multi-year deal with an AAV of $10M would on a year by year basis not go up or down by more than $500K.

I think the players should take the 50/50 and tweak the years in everything else, then sign the damn contract.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It was one of the first things I looked for when I saw details of the new deal. Quotes are just one page back - one blogger from cbsports.com and two guys with verified twitters.

Woops, only one guy has a verified twitter.

That's so odd. Are players speaking without real information? Are sources reputable? I guess it doesn't matter. The PA will reject this offer. I'm really interested to see how they choose to proceed with a counter.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You'd think. I'm beginning to wonder if this Montador fellow is really "all there".

Maybe somebody else from the Blackhawks should be dealing with this file.

He missed 30 games last year w/ concussion problems. Perhaps he's suffering from post-concussion syndrome.

I'm not sure but Montador may still be on the IR...he might be getting paid during the lockout. Maybe someone wants to do the research on that one.

I'm not sure who else from the Hawks you'd want in charge - Toews hasn't seemed all too bright in his most recent interviews...and as of last week he and Kane were going out of their way to say they didn't blame any of this on Wirtz!:

Stuck in a month-long lockout, the NHL could learn from the way the Chicago Blackhawks conduct their business, team captain Jonathan Toews said Wednesday.

"I've said it before how special hockey is in Chicago and how well I think things are run within the organization here," Toews said after yet another informal workout with teammates on Wednesday. "Things seem really clear to me. If things within the NHL were run the same way as they are here in Chicago I think you'd see quite a bit of difference."

And so even though Hawks owner Rocky Wirtz is part of the group that voted unanimously to lockout the players last month, it doesn't mean there are going to be hard feelings when the labor strife ends.

"For all Rocky has done for the Blackhawks, myself personally, and the stuff around Chicago you can't be too mad at him," Patrick Kane said. "He's an owner. It's a part of his job. We're each kind of battling from different sides, but it doesn't mean we're not going to be friends when it all gets figured out ... They have their opinion, we have ours."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4671510/toews-nhl-could-learn-from-hawks-way

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
NHLPA will always be split up. Just matters which camp is bigger. Without the NHL, a small minority of players have a vastly larger earning potential than the majority do. This will end in a coup, maybe not as obvious as the last one, but in the end the players will vote yes for something the union management and alot of the higher paid/more senior players don't want.

The problem is that the union management is the only one who can call a vote on this deal.

BTW if there was a vote, my guess is that they would vote yes.

squidz*

That's so odd. Are players speaking without real information? Are sources reputable? I guess it doesn't matter. The PA will reject this offer. I'm really interested to see how they choose to proceed with a counter.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Zach Parise is cautiously optimistic; still wants to look at details; was briefed by player on #nhlpa call; awaiting Donald Fehr email

Looks like most players are still decently in the dark about things.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Interesting: top 10 $ earning teams will pay up to 50% of revenue sharing pie in NHL proposal.

Well, there's that RS everyone was asking for.

IslesBeBack*

Interesting: top 10 $ earning teams will pay up to 50% of revenue sharing pie in NHL proposal.

Good, that's how it should be. Maybe then Charles Wang wouldn't have to circumvent the cap floor as he's searching for a long term development deal for the Islanders. See, not all teams are created equal.. especially in this league.

If the NHL can ensure that revenue sharing is put back into the product, then they've got it right this time around. And this should make players happy.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
The problem is that the union management is the only one who can call a vote on this deal.

BTW if there was a vote, my guess is that they would vote yes.

Union management is always subject to change. And I think they would vote yes to most things. It's just a matter of when the minority that gets catered to by union management gets too small.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Interesting, where does the other 50% come from? Cant come from the next 10 teams so Id wager it comes from the reduction in the players share.

IslesBeBack*

If a deal is not to be made in the next 9 days, bring in replacement players and try to get someone in the arena just to show the players that the league won't just cave without them. What they reply with will be very, very telling. If it's a waste of our time, just pick a plan B and go with it. If that's canceling the season, threaten it once, and then do it. That way the players can think about what they've done until next October, and everyone else can move on with their lives.

Gus Fring

May 16, 2004
Ottawa
If a deal is not to be made in the next 9 days, bring in replacement players and try to get someone in the arena just to show the players that the league won't just cave without them. What they reply with will be very, very telling. If it's a waste of our time, just pick a plan B and go with it. If that's canceling the season, threaten it once, and then do it. That way the players can think about what they've done until next October, and everyone else can move on with their lives.

They can't

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Zach Parise is cautiously optimistic; still wants to look at details; was briefed by player on #nhlpa call; awaiting Donald Fehr email

Looks like most players are still decently in the dark about things.

I guess I'll take Matador's comments with a grain of salt for now.

I'm not sure if that's what everyone was asking for? What's 50% and where's the other 50% coming from? What percentage were the top 10 teams contributing in previous years? That percentage needs some context.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Looks like Luntz earned his money with this 'fair' proposal. :laugh:

It's funny though, Bettman comes out and says '"We have about nine or 10 days to get this all ... signed, sealed and delivered." What that implies, is that not even Bettman thinks the players are going to accept this proposal as is because it certainly doesn't take nine or 10 days to sign some papers. It's the basis for a new deal, as has already been stated by those paying attention to the situation, since it's the first time the NHL has actually made a serious offer. And yet, the geniuses here think Fehr not accepting this deal as is, means the end of hockey as we know it. Hilarious fear mongering.

adater ‏@adater
My sources say NHL felt fair bit of pressure from TV partners and major sponsors to get ball rolling again. NBCSN real worried about it

This would come as no surprise. The NHL would never have the offer they made today without serious pressure on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille