Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

scott99

May 13, 2005
I posted this in the Islander’s/Winnipeg GDT:

After giving up 10 goals in his first 2 games, Sorokin has this stat line the last 7 games:

1.12 ga .964 sp 5-0-2 record, and 3 shutouts. That is very much like his KHL stat lines. I don’t expect him to keep up this pace, but my god, 9 games this year, 3 shutouts. Last year, he played 21 and had 3 shutouts. So 30 games, 6 shutouts. Total this year, 1.98 ga and a .939 sp.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I posted this in the Islander’s/Winnipeg GDT:

After giving up 10 goals in his first 2 games, Sorokin has this stat line the last 7 games:

1.12 ga .964 sp 5-0-2 record, and 3 shutouts. That is very much like his KHL stat lines. I don’t expect him to keep up this pace, but my god, 9 games this year, 3 shutouts. Last year, he played 21 and had 3 shutouts. So 30 games, 6 shutouts. Total this year, 1.98 ga and a .939 sp.

it's incredible that his early NHL stats seem to be carried over directly from the KHL. It's very impressive, and I didn't expect him to put up KHL numbers.

I thought he played well last year, but felt his numbers were somewhat inflated playing behind isles D. Aside from weak start to the season, he's been excellent; as advertised

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
it's incredible that his early NHL stats seem to be carried over directly from the KHL. It's very impressive, and I didn't expect him to put up KHL numbers.

I thought he played well last year, but felt his numbers were somewhat inflated playing behind isles D. Aside from weak start to the season, he's been excellent; as advertised

Sometimes you'd wonder if his KHL stats were a product of the KHL's low scoring in general. Luckily for us, most Islander games are low scoring like the KHL anyway, so Ilya is right at home.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just wanna say that you guys are so lucky to have Sorokin. I love Demko as a Vancouver fan, but as young goalies go, I think Sorokin is the best. There is a reason I took him in my keeper league. He could be the best goalie in the league in five years. He's otherworldly.

It’s funny you mention Demko. I followed his career closely. I was obsessed with him during the draft and wanted the isles to take him bad. I actually got to see him live in college. He’s a really good solid goalie.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Read Varly will most likely start a game this weekend. Think this would be wise, don't want to burn out Sorokin or do you continue to ride the hot hand?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

In the season opener Sorokin didn't look comfortable in the net, maybe a carryover from the pre-season where I don't think he got enough work. In the 2nd game of the year I think he was victimized by his team in front of him a bit. Since Game 3 in Chicago Sorokin looks like he's locked in.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
In the season opener Sorokin didn't look comfortable in the net, maybe a carryover from the pre-season where I don't think he got enough work. In the 2nd game of the year I think he was victimized by his team in front of him a bit. Since Game 3 in Chicago Sorokin looks like he's locked in.
Sorokin deserves all the accolades he’s received.

A few of the goals let in early in the season were on screens. Size and strength matter in front of the net.

That’s a word of caution for anyone suggesting Aho as a replacement for the #3LHD slot.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sorokin deserves all the accolades he’s received.

A few of the goals let in early in the season were on screens. Size and strength matter in front of the net.

That’s a word of caution for anyone suggesting Aho as a replacement for the #3LHD slot.
I saw a similar size problem with Anatolii Golyshev in Bridgeport last night. He had to cover a man in front of Schneider, tried to move him and bounced right off the guy.

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
It’s funny you mention Demko. I followed his career closely. I was obsessed with him during the draft and wanted the isles to take him bad. I actually got to see him live in college. He’s a really good solid goalie.

I can most certainly imagine a day where Demko and Sorokin are dueling in some legendary US vs Russia medal games. They're both special to be sure.

Reactions: SI90

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
We're fortunate that the schedule has the Isles playing among the fewest games in the league so far, giving him rest and not taxing him too much.

Could've been a bad situation but Varly's back just in time and was able to ease back with the team past few games on the bench.

Sori's already one of the best in the league and he's great to watch. Loved that kick out last night, a little Smitty in action.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

BriefWarmheartedAzurevase-size_restricted.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
To me, he's the Isles #1 Goalie. He has earned it. We know Isles will run with 1A and 1B, Sorokin is 1A. Past the first 2 games of the season, He's been lights out this season.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
To me, he's the Isles #1 Goalie. He has earned it. We know Isles will run with 1A and 1B, Sorokin is 1A. Past the first 2 games of the season, He's been lights out this season.
Could also be a hot streak? Isles will run both all season. There is no reason to declare one more superior than the other. Eventually, one will just run it until a stinker pops up, then the other goes in.

Reactions: JKP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Could also be a hot streak? Isles will run both all season. There is no reason to declare one more superior than the other. Eventually, one will just run it until a stinker pops up, then the other goes in.
That's a long hot streak going back to the Pittsburg series, I think the plan was to have him eased in last year, and eventually ascend to the #1A role this season or at latest next. I understand what you are saying here, let's not count our chicken before they hatch. But there is also nothing wrong with expecting Sorokin to live up his pedigree since he was drafted by the Isles. If he is not trending in becoming a #1 Goalie in this league, I think most will be disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad