Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

So our D is not that great and our more attack system while exciting does not equal a better squad. All hail Prince Ilya and Colonel Semyon.LGI

middle of the road is +3. If we gave up 20 more goals already we be in mucho trouble

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This kid really is special. I know Billy Smith is a legend and one of the greatest money goaltenders of all time but Sorokin might be the most talented goalie the isles have ever had.
Pure talent, maybe but let's let him show year to year consistency before putting him on par with Billy. Let's also remember who seems to be a forgotten man sometimes, Chico was the 1st face of the franchise had a record of 157-69-47 for us with 25 shutouts

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pure talent, maybe but let's let him show year to year consistency before putting him on par with Billy. Let's also remember who seems to be a forgotten man sometimes, Chico was the 1st face of the franchise had a record of 157-69-47 for us with 25 shutouts
Chances are he’s not going to surpass Smith in playoff accolades but I’m just talking pure talent

BarzyWally33

Nov 28, 2022
Just an absolute stud. Can carry the team through a round in the playoffs, or more, type of goaltender. Glad hes ours.

Reactions: Mike C

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Pure talent for sure. I also like that he has Billy's "us against them mentality"

Playoffs aside, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing for the next several seasons
the ability to do it in the playoffs, against the best of the best - that's as much mental as physical. We've all seen players crumble under intense pressure - like redbull trying to make a 2ft putt for birdie right after a wicked 3W and flipping the golf cart on the way to the putt (yes, true story, and he missed).

Smitty got under the skin of the best hockey player (offensively, by far, whatever Orr) of all time - and his supporting cast of Mess/Jari/Coff/etc. - literally effed-them-up with his weird cage, barely covering his ass equipment and butt-end of his goalie stick strategically exposed. Animal.

Sorokin is superb, no doubt. But I wouldn't underestimate the Islanders team ability to limit high-quality in-slot chances and clearing rebounds, they do this well. I'm not sure exactly what metrics show this, maybe someone else can find it, but that aside - still stellar stats to match the eye-test.

Billie was eye test and head-test - legend.

Also - Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin, Tonelli, Nystrom, Gillies - I'll stop - but a big part of Smitty's 4 rings for sure.

Reactions: The Real JT

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
the ability to do it in the playoffs, against the best of the best - that's as much mental as physical. We've all seen players crumble under intense pressure - like redbull trying to make a 2ft putt for birdie right after a wicked 3W and flipping the golf cart on the way to the putt (yes, true story, and he missed).

Smitty got under the skin of the best hockey player (offensively, by far, whatever Orr) of all time - and his supporting cast of Mess/Jari/Coff/etc. - literally effed-them-up with his weird cage, barely covering his ass equipment and butt-end of his goalie stick strategically exposed. Animal.

Sorokin is superb, no doubt. But I wouldn't underestimate the Islanders team ability to limit high-quality in-slot chances and clearing rebounds, they do this well. I'm not sure exactly what metrics show this, maybe someone else can find it, but that aside - still stellar stats to match the eye-test.

Billie was eye test and head-test - legend.

Also - Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin, Tonelli, Nystrom, Gillies - I'll stop - but a big part of Smitty's 4 rings for sure.
billy got under every opponent's skin....he would be in jail in today's world for what he said to many a player....i won't say out loud what i was told he uttered to tony mckegney when he came in on a breakaway with the north stars one time. then we get to the slashing everybody who langevin and lane didn't knock on their ass that might have dared to wander near the crease

certainly the isles had a hall of fame cast during the dynasty years but for my money, Billy Smith was the driving force behind those cups. i've always argued that as great and well balanced as they were, there are 2 players that team could not win without. Bryan Trottier and playoff Billy

the other thing billy did was make unbelievably timely and remarkable saves vs the rangers during those playoff years and agitationally (i make up words sometimes) rub it in their faces i have always believed that before the Oilers emerged, the Rangers were the 2nd best team in hockey back then. unfortunately, because of the new age seeding vs the old 1-16, those series were division bouts instead of cup semi or final matchups. I often (ok not often but when it comes to mind) ponder in the drive for 5, if lane would not have gotten hurt early in that '84 playoff season, would the Isles had one more year. they lost 1st game 1-0, in the finals, won 2nd game handily then got blown out 3 straight. paul boutilier was a great guy, not so great in his own zone

all this rambling said, i think sorokin may just have the "billy factor" to take us where we need to go. talent, plus that mental edge you aptly refer to. i am not a metrics guy....just a results fellow. not comparing sorokin to billy other than to say there is great hope and optimism that he can be that type of playoff goalie

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
4 Cups is unachievable IMO

But there is one accolade in particular that Sorokin could reasonably get, and if he does, he'll be a f***ing God forever on LI

CONN SMYTHE
I really hope Sorokin doesn’t become the next Price/Hank. We need to do whatever we can to win right now.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I'm not going to go back and look, but once Lou realized what he had in Brodeur, did he start taking swings every year?
I don’t know that answer, but would be interesting to see what Lou did just before and during their cup years

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
billy got under every opponent's skin....he would be in jail in today's world for what he said to many a player....i won't say out loud what i was told he uttered to tony mckegney when he came in on a breakaway with the north stars one time. then we get to the slashing everybody who langevin and lane didn't knock on their ass that might have dared to wander near the crease

certainly the isles had a hall of fame cast during the dynasty years but for my money, Billy Smith was the driving force behind those cups. i've always argued that as great and well balanced as they were, there are 2 players that team could not win without. Bryan Trottier and playoff Billy

the other thing billy did was make unbelievably timely and remarkable saves vs the rangers during those playoff years and agitationally (i make up words sometimes) rub it in their faces i have always believed that before the Oilers emerged, the Rangers were the 2nd best team in hockey back then. unfortunately, because of the new age seeding vs the old 1-16, those series were division bouts instead of cup semi or final matchups. I often (ok not often but when it comes to mind) ponder in the drive for 5, if lane would not have gotten hurt early in that '84 playoff season, would the Isles had one more year. they lost 1st game 1-0, in the finals, won 2nd game handily then got blown out 3 straight. paul boutilier was a great guy, not so great in his own zone

all this rambling said, i think sorokin may just have the "billy factor" to take us where we need to go. talent, plus that mental edge you aptly refer to. i am not a metrics guy....just a results fellow. not comparing sorokin to billy other than to say there is great hope and optimism that he can be that type of playoff goalie
solid post!

I just think when Binnington pulled that bumping-stunt-crap in the intermission on Sorokin, if that were Billy Smith (or Hextall) - I don't like that rat move.

Bossy was my favorite all-time player and I don't know how to pick the most important players on that dynasty team. Can't argue with Trottier and Smith, but Potvin & Bossy, I wish they kept track of minutes back then. Isles were the most balanced attack on any team ever with both elite talent and incredible depth but the team competitiveness and resiliency was another elite-non-player, and Arbour.

I remember Jamie McLennan telling stories of Billy Smith mentoring him early in his career on how to defend his crease, how to cheat with equipment hacks (or you aren't trying) and how to make statements on players with the stick, often.

Gretzky scored dozens of goals coming to the front of the net, back-hand, roof - but Smith had that lumber wand waving groin high, kinda took that away.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
4 Cups is unachievable IMO

But there is one accolade in particular that Sorokin could reasonably get, and if he does, he'll be a f***ing God forever on LI

CONN SMYTHE
A Cup would make him a hockey god Smythe or no.

Taking the Vezina from Igor would be almost as sweet!

solid post!

I just think when Binnington pulled that bumping-stunt-crap in the intermission on Sorokin, if that were Billy Smith (or Hextall) - I don't like that rat move.

Bossy was my favorite all-time player and I don't know how to pick the most important players on that dynasty team. Can't argue with Trottier and Smith, but Potvin & Bossy, I wish they kept track of minutes back then. Isles were the most balanced attack on any team ever with both elite talent and incredible depth but the team competitiveness and resiliency was another elite-non-player, and Arbour.

I remember Jamie McLennan telling stories of Billy Smith mentoring him early in his career on how to defend his crease, how to cheat with equipment hacks (or you aren't trying) and how to make statements on players with the stick, often.

Gretzky scored dozens of goals coming to the front of the net, back-hand, roof - but Smith had that lumber wand waving groin high, kinda took that away.
Thanks for the kind word! GREAT to reminisce!

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Thanks for bumping this thread. I have laugh at the the comments from early on when Sorokin first joined the team to now where we are calling him a Vezina candidate. Apparently he has come a long way.

• Haha
Reactions: WangMustGo

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm not going to go back and look, but once Lou realized what he had in Brodeur, did he start taking swings every year?
During Brodeur's 1st season as a legit starter (the prior season he played more of platoon role), Lou traded for a 35 year old Broten. Broten ended up being the 2nd highest playoffs scorer for the Devils as they won their first cup that same season.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
This kid is so good he covers up a lot of what we really are and gives many of us hope we can get to a place that we have no business getting to. Only 45 days until pitchers and catchers report . LGI

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's a crime that Ilya is only 15-14-2 this season. He is the team's MVP and the main reason we're not in the Bedard Stakes today.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad