Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Yup, and we retain his rights pretty much indefinitely. This year, next year, the year after... Damn I hope he signs this year so we dont have to deal with this year after year!

I wouldn’t worry about that lol If he doesn’t sign by 5PM Wednesday then he is never coming over. He has the opportunity to burn his ELC and sign a new contract before ever suiting up for the Islanders. If he doesn’t sign now then he never will. After 5PM Wednesday isles will cut ties with him and hold his rights forever so he can never sign with another NHL team in the future.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I wouldn’t worry about that lol If he doesn’t sign by 5PM Wednesday then he is never coming over. He has the opportunity to burn his ELC and sign a new contract before ever suiting up for the Islanders. If he doesn’t sign now then he never will. After 5PM Wednesday isles will cut ties with him and hold his rights forever so he can never sign with another NHL team in the future.

True. Its actually a pretty lucrative opportunity, if he's serious about coming to the NHL.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If Sorokin does not sign by Wednesday he will most likely never play in the NHL, but especially never play in an Islanders uniform. Odds are he signs a cheap one year deal, but the odds also had Panarin and Tavares signing with the Islanders at this time period in negotiations as well.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If Sorokin does not sign by Wednesday he will most likely never play in the NHL, but especially never play in an Islanders uniform. Odds are he signs a cheap one year deal, but the odds also had Panarin and Tavares signing with the Islanders at this time period in negotiations as well.

Yup. And "odds are" that all's well with Belmont. Gulp.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Unless he signs in a league that has a transfer agreement.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

Unless he signs in a league that has a transfer agreement.

He is not leaving the KHL to go to another league just to get to the NHL lol All to avoid the Islanders for some random reason. When he could make free money and sign a contract for years without having to prove himself. No agent worth anything would ever advise his client to do that lol If by some fluke he gets hurt he is screwed. His agent is telling him to sign and get a contract with some term and money and if you have a desire to leave you can always request a trade at a later date. No reason to believe he doesn’t want to be here. He has never asked Lou to trade his rights nor has he attempted to get around them in that way. I appreciate the info though.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
He is not leaving the KHL to go to another league just to get to the NHL lol All to avoid the Islanders for some random reason. When he could make free money and sign a contract for years without having to prove himself. No agent worth anything would ever advise his client to do that lol If by some fluke he gets hurt he is screwed. His agent is telling him to sign and get a contract with some term and money and if you have a desire to leave you can always request a trade at a later date. No reason to believe he doesn’t want to be here. He has never asked Lou to trade his rights nor has he attempted to get around them in that way. I appreciate the info though.
Point is we wouldn't retain his rights forever, if he signed with another league that had a transfer agreement.

As some have already stated so adamantly, Sorokin isnt going back to the KHL. So, if he doesn't sign here, what other league would he play for?

Moreover, if he doesnt sign here isn't that an indication he clearly doesn't want to play here? Why would it be farfetched that he chooses to play in another league?

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Point is we wouldn't retain his rights forever, if he signed with another league that had a transfer agreement.

As some have already stated so adamantly, Sorokin isnt going back to the KHL. So, if he doesn't sign here, what other league would he play for?

Moreover, if he doesnt sign here isn't that an indication he clearly doesn't want to play here? Why would it be farfetched that he chooses to play in another league?
Because it has been reported all over the place that his intentions are to play in the NHL ever since he refused to extend in the KHL.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
"Tavareswatch 2.0" has got people manic again.
And just like the Tavares situation, people made every excuse to why he hadn't signed right away, and the longer it dragged on, the more the excuses came out and hyperbole took over.

Sucks that we have to go thru this again, i really thought the kid would have signed at 12 like the other two Russians.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
And just like the Tavares situation, people made every excuse to why he hadn't signed right away, and the longer it dragged on, the more the excuses came out and hyperbole took over.

Sucks that we have to go thru this again, i really thought the kid would have signed at 12 like the other two Russians.
I’m not an Isles fan but it’s no surprise it’s taking longer than Kaprizov or Romanov. They still have time left after the burnt year, whereas Sorokin does not. There is more to negotiate.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I won’t worry until he’s still unsigned at this time tomorrow. I think they are just working on finalizing the RFA contract. My guess is this is wrapped up tomorrow morning sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad