Confirmed with Link: Ilya Sorokin Signed

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Depends on perspective.
Niederreiter was a contract maguffin, Reinhart was turned into Barzal +, and Dal Colle was consensus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll take what I can get, and he wasn’t Milbury-level suck. LOL....Lou’s cooking, Snow’s silverware.

Looking forward to Sorokin.
It's true that he turned Reinhart into Barzal and Strome into Eberle.

But it came with a huge opportunity cost. We basically wasted a decade of play with our number one overall center. Say we hit on two of the three picks from 2010-2012. Do we make it to the Cup in 2015? 2016? 2017?

Reactions: Quicklime

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I saw this news when I checked my phone last night. Great news. I am so glad the isles remained patient over the yrs and didn't give into any temptation to trade him rights . Anyone remember the Hoffman/Sorokin rumor that was tweeted out a few TDLs ago? Thank You Lou :DD

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
It's true that he turned Reinhart into Barzal and Strome into Eberle.

But it came with a huge opportunity cost. We basically wasted a decade of play with our number one overall center. Say we hit on two of the three picks from 2010-2012. Do we make it to the Cup in 2015? 2016? 2017?

Excellent question. Loads of extrapolation would need to be considered, but adding better versions of Niederreiter, Strome, MDC and Reinhart to those rosters still makes for a roster with holes that younger versions of Nelson, Bailey & pajama boy wouldn’t be enough to reverse.

The core of players that has stuck around and emerged has a better chance competing for the Cup for a longer term without the overachievement necessary for previous rosters to have an upset round or two, IMO.

A comparable could just be the Blues. Ownership changed in 2012 and 7 years later, they have a Cup. The business side of hockey in the mid 00’s wasn’t going to see the Isles spend at a rate to plug pre-existing holes as Wang was a cheapskate, making that era one in which a lack of core development would result in guys like Nelson and Pulock getting flipped as Pageau, Karlsson and Stone were from Ottawa. The Islanders arguably have more to start with from Ledecky and Malkin taking over forward than other franchises beginning from similar positions of weakness, making for a bridge to where we are now.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
My intro to Isles was the Greiss poke check game. Feels a bit bitter sweet.
My son is very sad about this news!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't know if Sorokin would count, but I do know Varly has a modified NTC when it comes time to do the expansion draft.

He should not count and NTC's do not need to be protected during the expansion draft. The only clause that forces protection is a NMC.

My intro to Isles was the Greiss poke check game. Feels a bit bitter sweet.
My son is very sad about this news!

Wade Dubielewicz once made a great poke-check, there will be more, don't worry. ;)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I am not sure how much of that he actually gets, but it will be very minimal if anything. Basically giving him that contract means he can sign more then an ELC next year(which I am guessing is a big incentive to get him over here)
None.
He gets zero of that money, but will be signed as a premium prospect coming off a successful ELC.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Yeah with the regular season over and CapFriendly reporting a signing bonus of exactly zero dollars, I don't think he'll get anything at all from his ELC... the incentive is it allows Sorokin under the CBA to sign an RFA deal, which does not carry the ELC contract's financial limitations...

I think that is correct, and I think I also read no future bonus money can be paid until Nov 1 or some similar date, so the kid is essentially getting zero real dollars until he resigns as an RFA.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My thoughts on this is this is the biggest player addition the Isles can have. First off it is Lou. His history with Goaltenders is well known. Then it is Trotz, his history with Goaltender's is known too. Add a talent and proven record in the KHL, with Goalie guru Mitch Korn. You don't have to be Toe Blake to see this is going to lead to a lot of W's. The Isles are set in goal for 5-10 years, as long as Sorokin is an Isles. Firat step was taken yesterday. The Sorokin era has begun. I am expecting huge things, not being hyperbolic. This will be a step by step process. But I am even going to give Snow credit for drafting him. Whoever scouted him. Ownership, Lou for getting him over.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
1 year $2 Million. Most thought it would be the $1.5-$2 million range. I say this is right on par.

safe to say he will play back up to varly next year with a chance to take over or earn more starts depending on his play.

Reactions: periferal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad