Confirmed with Link: Ilya Sorokin Signed

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
My thoughts on this is this is the biggest player addition the Isles can have. First off it is Lou. His history with Goaltenders is well known. Then it is Trotz, his history with Goaltender's is known too. Add a talent and proven record in the KHL, with Goalie guru Mitch Korn. You don't have to be Toe Blake to see this is going to lead to a lot of W's. The Isles are set in goal for 5-10 years, as long as Sorokin is an Isles. Firat step was taken yesterday. The Sorokin era has begun. I am expecting huge things, not being hyperbolic. This will be a step by step process. But I am even going to give Snow credit for drafting him. Whoever scouted him. Ownership, Lou for getting him over.
If this is our Martin Brodeur I'm ecstatic.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I believe he wouldnt be an UFA until he's 27? So I think next year he would be an arbitration eligible RFA, much like Pulock is this year?

Here's my reasoning:

A player who is no longer considered to be entry-level, but does not qualify as an unrestricted free agent, becomes a restricted free agent when his contract expires. A player may only declare himself to be an unrestricted free agent if he is over the age of 27 or has played in the league for a minimum of 7 years.
  • Salary arbitration is a contract negotiation method that uses a third party arbitrator to determine a fair contract term and length for an expiring RFA player. Arbitration can be requested if a player meets the following conditions (CBA Reference 12.1 (b)):
    • The player qualifies as a Restricted Free Agent (RFA)
    • The player has not signed an offer sheet
    • The player has met the required professional years of experience, as shown in the list below
  • Eligibility for salary arbitration is dependent on entry-level signing age, and professional experience (CBA Reference 12.1 (a)):
    • 18-20: 4 years professional experience.
    • 21: 3 years professional experience.
    • 22-23: 2 years professional experience.
    • 24 and older: 1 year professional experience.
    -Signing age is the age the player is on September 15 of the year they signed their contract, unless they turn 20 from September 16-December 31, in which case they are considered 20.
    -Players aged 18 or 19 are considered to have completed a year of professional experience when they have played 10 or more NHL games in that season. Players aged 20 or older have completed a year of professional experience when they have played 10 games in a professional league, while under an SPC.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
So after next season we'll have Sorokin and Beau as RFAs (not counting MDC and Koivula in the mix right now) and Zeeker as a UFA.

Edit to add Pelech as an RFA too

Last edited:
Reactions: Beacon Isles

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If this is our Martin Brodeur I'm ecstatic.
I think he has the pedigree to fit the bill of a Brodeur, Schneider, Rinne, or Holtby. Any of these 4 would be more than fine. Still has not played a game, but looking at his skillset from the vids and his already impressive resume from the KHL. He is going into a very good situation for a Goaltender. The Isles system will insulate him like it did for Lehner, Greiss, and Varly. And I think he is by far the most talented Goalie of the group.

Reactions: Olliemets

scott99

May 13, 2005
I remember reading an article on Sorokin prior to the draft. It was a very positive article discussing his maturity at age 18 (already playing well in the KHL), and his skill level.

So when we drafted him, I remember thinking, this could turn out to be a really good pick. Now, I think it could turn out to be a GREAT pick. I don’t think I’ve been this excited about an Isle’s goalie prospect since Roberto Luongo, who only went on to have a Hall Of Fame career. Hopefully the same with Sorokin, minus the trade.

I’m pretty excited about Skarek as well. In 20-21 while Sorokin is playing his rookie season in the NHL, I think Skarek will be Bridgeport’s #1 goalie.

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Ilya knocks it out of the park after 20-21. There are going to be some decisions that have to be made. Some contracts are coming up for key players, to add to the ones this summer. This is why I commented not having Tavares coming back was a blessing, if he had, the Isles would be in a world of cap trouble. It is still manageable, but it will take some player moves to get all the players in under the cap.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why only 1 year? What does that mean for past next year? He is a UFA?
I view the extension as a placeholder deal. Sorokin will still be an RFA at the end of the extension and it gives both sides time to work out the following contract.

Reactions: SteveH124

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I remember reading an article on Sorokin prior to the draft. It was a very positive article discussing his maturity at age 18 (already playing well in the KHL), and his skill level.

So when we drafted him, I remember thinking, this could turn out to be a really good pick. Now, I think it could turn out to be a GREAT pick. I don’t think I’ve been this excited about an Isle’s goalie prospect since Roberto Luongo, who only went on to have a Hall Of Fame career. Hopefully the same with Sorokin, minus the trade.

I’m pretty excited about Skarek as well. In 20-21 while Sorokin is playing his rookie season in the NHL, I think Skarek will be Bridgeport’s #1 goalie.
Skarek will have to be #1 in BST. There’s no other goalie under contract for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad