Confirmed with Link: Ilya Sorokin Signed

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So we're giving him 925k for nothing, basically a signing bonus for his next contract, with one less year before UFA.

And we're thrilled. Life in Islanders Country.

I am not sure how much of that he actually gets, but it will be very minimal if anything. Basically giving him that contract means he can sign more then an ELC next year(which I am guessing is a big incentive to get him over here)

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I said this earlier on Twitter. Snow may have not always been very good at his job, but Lou wouldn’t have been able to sign him without Snow drafting him. How fitting that our Ex goalie turned GM drafted us our franchise goalie lol caps off to Garth and Lou for getting him here

Damn right.

For a bad GM, the dividends paid are obvious from net out now.

Took Lou to give it the legitimacy, but there isn’t one position with advantage that he didn’t touch. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I am not sure how much of that he actually gets, but it will be very minimal if anything. Basically giving him that contract means he can sign more then an ELC next year(which I am guessing is a big incentive to get him over here)

Yeah with the regular season over and CapFriendly reporting a signing bonus of exactly zero dollars, I don't think he'll get anything at all from his ELC... the incentive is it allows Sorokin under the CBA to sign an RFA deal, which does not carry the ELC contract's financial limitations...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I said this earlier on Twitter. Snow may have not always been very good at his job, but Lou wouldn’t have been able to sign him without Snow drafting him. How fitting that our Ex goalie turned GM drafted us our franchise goalie lol caps off to Garth and Lou for getting him here

Listen...I'm happy today, but let's not give a guy credit who blew FOUR top-5 picks but got one 3rd round pick right.

Not to mention...

People need to stop hitting the snooze bar and realize that snow deserves credit for absolutely zero.

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Listen...I'm happy today, but let's not give a guy credit who blew FOUR top-5 picks but got one 3rd round pick right.

Depends on perspective.
Niederreiter was a contract maguffin, Reinhart was turned into Barzal +, and Dal Colle was consensus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll take what I can get, and he wasn’t Milbury-level suck. LOL....Lou’s cooking, Snow’s silverware.

Looking forward to Sorokin.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Depends on perspective.
Niederreiter was a contract maguffin, Reinhart was turned into Barzal +, and Dal Colle was consensus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll take what I can get, and he wasn’t Milbury-level suck. LOL

Looking forward to Sorokin.

Here's my perspective...

I want the Isles to win the Cup. With snow in charge for over a decade he won ONE (1) playoff series. If you want to come up with some magic bullet theory on why you like up/he's getting a bad rap, go right ahead, but I don't indulge in it.

Even his prize draft pick that we're thrilled about today didn't want to play for him.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Here's my perspective...

I want the Isles to win the Cup. With snow in charge for over a decade he won ONE (1) playoff series. If you want to come up with some magic bullet theory on why you like up/he's getting a bad rap, go right ahead, but I don't indulge in it.

Even his prize draft pick that we're thrilled about today didn't want to play for him.

Not trying to at all - we actually agree!

SOMETHING had to bridge the gap from Mike Milbury to where we are at now.

While I’d have liked a quicker turnaround, Rome isn’t built in a day. I think we could have done WAY worse.

I respect your opinion & dig your insight. Regardless, a portion of this franchise’s fortunes started flipping from negative to positive with hockey’s Al Bundy.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

Not to mention...

People need to stop hitting the snooze bar and realize that snow deserves credit for absolutely zero.

Never said he had clout.

Also never said he had no instinct on talent.

;)

Being early ain’t being wrong.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not trying to at all - we actually agree!

SOMETHING had to bridge the gap from Mike Milbury to where we are at now.

While I’d have liked a quicker turnaround, Rome isn’t built in a day. I think we could have done WAY worse.

I respect your opinion & dig your insight. Regardless, a portion of this franchise’s fortunes started flipping from negative to positive with hockey’s Al Bundy.

I am literally standing over here with a draw full of olive branches just waiting for you to take one, but if you're going to tell me that we could've done "WAY worse" than the wang/snow years, then we truly do not "actually agree."

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Not to mention...

Snow was a mixed bag, but he did some good things. He needed to be exiled, no doubt. His drafting was above avg., he made the final decision on many gems. I think Snow was loyal to a fault (e.g. Cappy, Weight, Ladd), yet sensitive and temperamental (e.g. Nino, various stories we've read); both not good for a successful GM (whereas LL is neutral, level-headed). Nino was a developmental issue, didn't manage that well; solid pick. Strome has turned his career around. Reinhart he culminated into a bounty--Barz/Beau, MDC was a fail at 5.

Reactions: Quicklime

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
So we're giving him 925k for nothing, basically a signing bonus for his next contract, with one less year before UFA.

And we're thrilled. Life in Islanders Country.
A) he doesn’t actually get paid 925k this year
B) he wasn’t coming over here to play on an ELC when he could make millions in the KHL

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

Not to mention...

I mean, he did swing for the fences and draft the guy, so he deserves at least some credit

I’ll put it this way, if Snow doesn’t draft him, there’s virtually a 99.9% chance he isn’t an Islander today

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Varlamov over Lehner plan sees it's climax. This was the play all along. Love Lehner for what he did in '19, but this was Lou's master plan all along. Varly was brought in to be the Russian presence to ease Sorokin onto the team and to split time next season as Sorokin adjusts, and then hopefully by 21-22 Sorokin takes the reigns full time.

Happy that gamble by Lou paid off in the end. Huge day for the franchise.

This should not be forgotten. Although I’m a bird in hand guy and would have liked to keep Lehner I see the logic in what Lou did. If they truly believe Sorokin can be a franchise goaltender, having his close friend And fellow countryman in Varly is only going to help Sorokin.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Whoever made this deserves a lot of credit. They even got the sign guy in there with a Sorokin sign lmao

That's awesome. Love the sign in the background. Quick Question to my Isles brethren and its about the expansion draft. Does Sorokin need to be protected? Does Varlamov have a NMC and would need to be protected? Same rules as Vegas, right? You can protect 7 forwards, 3 dman, and one goalie, or 9 players total, right?
Sorry to pose this question in this thread, just now with this signing and moving forward.
Thanks

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
That's awesome. Love the sign in the background. Quick Question to my Isles brethren and its about the expansion draft. Does Sorokin need to be protected? Does Varlamov have a NMC and would need to be protected? Same rules as Vegas, right? You can protect 7 forwards, 3 dman, and one goalie, or 9 players total, right?
Sorry to pose this question in this thread, just now with this signing and moving forward.
Thanks
I don't know if Sorokin would count, but I do know Varly has a modified NTC when it comes time to do the expansion draft.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks

I don’t think he needs to be protected because his his lack of service years and his age.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He will be an RFA, so he can’t sign with anyone else, unless someone gives an offer sheet and has to give up draft picks. I’m sure Lou signs him to an extension on the first day of Free Agency. Hopefully at least a 5 year deal.
Sorokin would be crazy to sign for 5 years. Will probably be a very short bridge deal for both sides to be certain of the value of the next contract. It is an unusual case. A guy without a single NHL start is to be signed as RFA here.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Thanks

I am 99.99% certain that Sorokin is exempt from the expansion draft. Skarek should also be exempt.

Odds are the Isles will protect Varlamov, unless he plays reasonably well AND they allow Seattle to take his contract off their cap like the Penguins did with Fleury.

Ultimately, it will probably be an AHL-type like Gibson or Coreau that is left exposed, in order to qualify as the Isles unprotected goalie for expansion purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->