Ilya Mikheyev

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because I don't believe he is a 50 point player and he certainly wasn't when he signed his contract 2 x 60 points isn't 50 points no matter what spin you try, but what ever you have your narrative and you're sticking to it

Are you suggesting that Mikheyev wouldn't have better numbers if he was playing on Matthews' wing??

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
A 25 year old Russian doesn't come over the pond to delay his biggest payday with a bridge contract.

True, he could be traded. For some lesser players no doubt because their most important characteristic is that they're ticketed to make considerably less than the player.

Remember I'm arguing about managing his usage only, keeping him on the 3rd line where he's clearly contributing positively.

You do realize even a league minimum contract is a win for most Russians as very few KHL players make more than that?

Also if he can contribute better on a higher line why would we neuter him just to save a few dollars?

Reactions: Boutette

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
As far as I'm concerned the Leafs have been doing this otherwise. They limited Kappy's/Johnsson's PP time last season. They've been using players like Spezza, Moore and Kapanen on the 2nd PP over Mikheyev to date when it's kind of clear Mikheyev would be a better choice. This season they demoted a clearly better defenseman (Sandin) for AHL fodder (Gravel, Marincin) to play in his place presumably to manage his contract situation.

yeah you could be right. I just cant see babs going along with that if he thought it was the best option. Babs throws anyone within reach under the bus constantly so him sitting down with dubas and shanny and discussing limiting a players mins undeservedly doesn't feel like something he'd do. Anyway lets hope we can get Mikayev in that sweet spot where he helps us win AND puts up limited points to ensure his contract is $4M-5M only

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Are you suggesting that Mikheyev wouldn't have better numbers if he was playing on Matthews' wing??

Im suggesting unless he puts up 60 he wont put up 60, its really not that complicated. Doesn't matter who is line mate is he cant say "yeah but if I played with Matthews I would have x points so pay me" even if he did, trade him.

And yet again to top this all off he will have 1 60 point season. 1, im sure you understand numbers that 1 is less than 2 right? you are clearly a smart guy so why play dumb?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Common logic.

How often do AHL coaches get promoted mid-Season. 9/10 its an assistant coach that gets the gig when a coach is fired.

I think the Leafs value our development process to much to disrupt the Marlies mid-season.

That's fine, I just think you're way off with your "0%" chance comment. Just because something doesn't happen often, doesn't mean it won't happen. I also think Keefe has a lot going for him and if they need a new coach, he'll be on the short list of candidates, especially if it happens mid-season.

Also, of course the Leafs value the development process but if you think the Leafs wouldn't pick Keefe if they thought he was the best choice because they don't want to "disrupt the Marlies", you're crazy.

Reactions: Mad hatter

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You do realize even a league minimum contract is a win for most Russians as very few KHL players make more than that?

Also if he can contribute better on a higher line why would we neuter him just to save a few dollars?

I thought I made this clear: I'd like him to remain a Leaf beyond this season. It's not a few dollars. It's the difference between impacting the salary structure and being able to squeeze the contract in.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
yeah you could be right. I just cant see babs going along with that if he thought it was the best option. Babs throws anyone within reach under the bus constantly so him sitting down with dubas and shanny and discussing limiting a players mins undeservedly doesn't feel like something he'd do. Anyway lets hope we can get Mikayev in that sweet spot where he helps us win AND puts up limited points to ensure his contract is $4M-5M only

I'd much rather see Johnsson, Kerfoot and Kapanen get their offensive numbers inflated this season because they're under contract. It's also beneficial to have Mikheyev's production not exceed any of those 3 and then his extension will probably mimic their approximate AAVs. Then next season double shift him for all I care. If Mikheyev is so much of a better option, promote him just before the playoffs. Players tend to get rewarded for regular season numbers not playoff usage.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Mikheyev has better numbers now already without playing on Matthews wing.

Nylander .. 3 goals 6 assists 9 points projected for 18 goals 53 points on the season playing with Matthews and with PP time. ATOi/g = 17:30

Mikheyev .. 4 goals 6 assists 10 points projected for 23 goals 59 points on the season playing 3rd line and with PK time. ATOI/g = 16:07

Maybe its time we see Nylander and Mikheyev flips lines and see how much better the results are.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Im suggesting unless he puts up 60 he wont put up 60, its really not that complicated. Doesn't matter who is line mate is he cant say "yeah but if I played with Matthews I would have x points so pay me" even if he did, trade him.

And yet again to top this all off he will have 1 60 point season. 1, im sure you understand numbers that 1 is less than 2 right? you are clearly a smart guy so why play dumb?
Yeah, about that....

Everything always comes back to Nylander with this one, when there is a smaller spinning floating winger who get paid a ridiculous amount to have an overall negative impact on his team, but "get's his points so its the least of the worries".

There is no downside nor need to suppress Mikheyev's numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Mikheyev is going to get 5M, minimum.

He'll still be worth keeping around at that number, IMO. Even if we have to trade a Johnsson or a Kapanen or a Nylander....

I doubt hed get a number that high for the Leafs. Even if they had that amount of free capspace there are some.underlying metrics that strongly suggest this level of offense won't be sustsinable long term.

If he ends up with 40+ points id expect hed get a 1 year deal to give them a better look at what hes capable of

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Mikheyev has better numbers now already without playing on Matthews wing.

Nylander .. 3 goals 6 assists 9 points projected for 18 goals 53 points on the season playing with Matthews and with PP time. ATOi/g = 17:30

Mikheyev .. 4 goals 6 assists 10 points projected for 23 goals 59 points on the season playing 3rd line and with PK time. ATOI/g = 16:07

Maybe its time we see Nylander and Mikheyev flips lines and see how much better the results are.

I like it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What a gem he is. At worst a top-2 forward for us so far this season. I imagine he'll be re-signed for around 2y @ 3.75. We get a cost effective top-6 forward, he gets to UFA ASAP and can cash in.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
What a gem he is. At worst a top-2 forward for us so far this season. I imagine he'll be re-signed for around 2y @ 3.75. We get a cost effective top-6 forward, he gets to UFA ASAP and can cash in.

Can we just offer him the Labanc deal and see if he bites first? lol

But seriously, yup :)

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Currently tied with the most rookie points in the season at 11 (the other being Makar).

Pleasantly surprised by his game style so far. He has amazing top-end speed, with a good shot/size and great hockey IQ and awareness. Generally, make very few mistakes on the ice despite not being a great English speaker.

Short sample, but I want him on a long-term contract before his AVV gets too high for us. We don't have many players in the system with the same skillset that he possesses.

Big Shot

Apr 23, 2012
Oshawa
Marner - Tavares - Moore (the X-box line)
Mikheyev - Matthews - Hyman (H&M line)
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanan (the ABBA line)
4th line the grunts (the under-paid under-appreciated line)

:dunce:
Would like to see him with Matthews, but don’t move Hyman away from Tavares. Would like to see Toronto trade Nylander for a more compatible winger for Matthew’s.
Anyone else think that there seems to be a lack of chemistry on that line??

I do, for sure. I would like the Leafs to start shopping Nylander for a power forward like Tyler Bertuzzi. Someone with some grit and scoring touch.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

So happy about him. I would really like to see what he can do with Matthews! :)

My main concern there would be that he’s shot happy. Mikheyev tends to just bull towards the net and shoot, even if he’s not in a dangerous position. That’s fine on the 3rd line, but a bit of a waste of possession with Matthews/Nylander.

I’d be down to give it a shot, maybe Mikheyev is playing a shot happy game because he’s on a grinder line, and will change things up on a high skill puck possession line. But my guess is that he wouldn’t be a great fit.

Big Shot

Apr 23, 2012
Oshawa
I have been telling my wife since the pre-season to watch Micheyev. The guy is very skilled, aggressive and quick. For me he is playing on the wrong line.

He should be playing with Matthews and Nylander. Has the same skill and speed as Johnsson but is better defensively and big. Something that will clear room for Matthews and Nylander to do their thing.

Lineup should be the following when Hyman returns:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Micheyev-Matthews-Nylander
Johnss0n-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore

4 lines with speed, skill, tenacity.
I like it accept, Johnsson should stay on the MATTHEWs line until they can find a suitable replacement. Nylander can be traded, I mean if anyone wants him.

Big contract and small size will be a hard sell in this market. Montreal seems to like small players. I’d make them an offer. Maybe a D-man

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
My main concern there would be that he’s shot happy. Mikheyev tends to just bull towards the net and shoot, even if he’s not in a dangerous position. That’s fine on the 3rd line, but a bit of a waste of possession with Matthews/Nylander.

I’d be down to give it a shot, maybe Mikheyev is playing a shot happy game because he’s on a grinder line, and will change things up on a high skill puck possession line. But my guess is that he wouldn’t be a great fit.
I feel the same man about him
But maybe just maybe he can become a player of sorts

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
What does Mikheyev have to do to get the Calder? Will getting the most points be enough or is Makar just too good so far?

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What does Mikheyev have to do to get the Calder? Will getting the most points be enough or is Maker just too good so far?

He'd have to severely out perform Makar or Hughes in points. Also keep in mind Viktor Olofsson who will have to fall off his pace too.

Basically Mikheyev would have to completely light the league up, probably hit 30 goals and be close to PPG to have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad