Ilya Mikheyev

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's going to cost as much to retain. More likely he is a Nylander replacement. He's just as dynamic and will probably save 3mil AAV long term, and there is your cap relief.

He has a pdo of 111....

Thinking hes capable of replacing Nylander based on this ultra short sample is silly (especially given ges a LW)

Hes the perfect candiate for a bridge deal.because there are going to be an awful lot of question marks about his sustainability of being anywhere near this prodcution rate long term.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He has a pdo of 111....

Thinking hes capable of replacing Nylander based on this ultra short sample is silly (especially given ges a LW)

Hes the perfect candiate for a bridge deal.because there are goingg to be an awful lot of question marks about his sustainability of being anywhere near this prodcution rate long term.

I'd think something like the Kapanen or Johnsson deals would be pretty close to what Mikheyev would get on a 3-4 year "bridge" deal, or 1-2 years for a million or two

If we do sign him the next question is who goes up front, I'd probably look at Hyman since he's got less term on his contract but I doubt Babcock would agree with me

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd think something like the Kapanen or Johnsson deals would be pretty close to what Mikheyev would get on a 3-4 year "bridge" deal, or 1-2 years for a million or two

If we do sign him the next question is who goes up front, I'd probably look at Hyman since he's got less term on his contract but I doubt Babcock would agree with me

I suspect theyll go short term (player will probably want that too). But will depend of what his numbers look like by end of season.

I think Kapanen or AJ may end up getting dangled for a D man between now and next fall

Reactions: kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I suspect theyll go short term (player will probably want that too). But will depend of what his numbers look like by end of season.

I think Kapanen or AJ may end up getting dangled for a D man between now and next fall

Depends, if the team likes what they see and Mikheyev is amenable they may try basically trading one of those two you mentioned and moving that salary over to Mikheyev

I still think moving Hyman instead makes way more sense since he would be 1 year from UFA but management loves him

Reactions: Menzinger

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I think first and foremost we should worry about giving Mikheyev a real honest look on how he would perform in our top-6 on a regular basis. If we don't, someone else will and that's where he'll go.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
once everyone is healthy he should play with matthews and nylander. A third line of kapanen-kerfoot-johnsson would be the best 3rd line in the league. We would essentially have 2 first lines, a second line and a 3rd line. Great depth up front this year

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
once everyone is healthy he should play with matthews and nylander. A third line of kapanen-kerfoot-johnsson would be the best 3rd line in the league. We would essentially have 2 first lines, a second line and a 3rd line. Great depth up front this year

I wouldn't touch the Matthews line, there dominating so I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category, the Kerfoot line looks really nice with Mikheyev and Kapanen as well

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Moore

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I wouldn't touch the Matthews line, there dominating so I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category, the Kerfoot line looks really nice with Mikheyev and Kapanen as well

Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Moore
The Matthews line is not dominating.

The Matthews line is all Matthews basically this year.

When Hyman returns, lets see how the lineup changes.

I think the way Johnsson and Nylander are playing, it really ticks off the coach. Any NHL coach will not be overjoyed with what they have seen out of those two so far this year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Matthews line is not dominating.

The Matthews line is all Matthews basically this year.

When Hyman returns, lets see how the lineup changes.

I think the way Johnsson and Nylander are playing, it really ticks off the coach. Any NHL coach will not be overjoyed with what they have seen out of those two so far this year.

Then you would be wildly inccorect, go and have a look at that lines advanced metrics and get back to me

Also that line isn't just Matthews, Nylander is carrying the puck from the defensive to offensive zone and Johnsson is the forechecker

I'm not sure it's possible for you to be any more wrong

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada

Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Moore
the matthews line has been good at times, but more often than not they are invisible until they score. Got totally dominated vs the bergeron line. I love johnssons game but would not call him a first line player

Reactions: Luminiferous

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Then you would be wildly inccorect, go and have a look at that lines advanced metrics and get back to me

Also that line isn't just Matthews, Nylander is carrying the puck from the defensive to offensive zone and Johnsson is the forechecker

The AJ - Matthews - Willy has been good when playing against 2nd tier competition. That's fine if you can stomach 22m for a good to great 2nd line.

For this to happen we need Hyman - JT - Marner back up and running as our top line.

I'm not convinced Matty- Willy are ready for consistent top line duties.

I would say Soupy would a great option to try to see how the combos go. I think AJ is working hard (sometimes too hard) and he's struggling a bit with the new role.

Soupy brings some unique 200 ft skills that could help the top line more than AJ at this point. He's a better transporter the puck from our zone, wins more puck battles and can generally be more disruptive in most situations.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep. Lol that line has bee stellar at 5v5 (whcih is why Babcock uses them more at even strength this year than the Marner/JT line)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think first and foremost we should worry about giving Mikheyev a real honest look on how he would perform in our top-6 on a regular basis. If we don't, someone else will and that's where he'll go.

Hes an rfa still, so team would need to offer sheet him. Which seems rare for depth guys.

That said, id still be interested to see him on the top lines

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
the matthews line has been good at times, but more often than not they are invisible until they score. Got totally dominated vs the bergeron line. I love johnssons game but would not call him a first line player

It's working 5v5 by every available metric, every line we've got gets curb stomped by the Bergeron line, including Matthews Marner being paired up

Johnsson is performing, it's working so I couldn't care less
Pretty much my stance on Hyman with the Tavares line

The AJ - Matthews - Willy has been good when playing against 2nd tier competition. That's fine if you can stomach 22m for a good to great 2nd line.

For this to happen we need Hyman - JT - Marner back up and running as our top line.

I'm not convinced Matty- Willy are ready for consistent top line duties.

I would say Soupy would a great option to try to see how the combos go. I think AJ is working hard (sometimes too hard) and he's struggling a bit with the new role.

Soupy brings some unique 200 ft skills that could help the top line more than AJ at this point. He's a better transporter the puck from our zone, wins more puck battles and can generally be more disruptive in most situations.

Mikheyev has been on the 3rd line, Kapanen looks great on the 3rd line as well and we all know how it went on the first line

The Tavares line with Hyman works, the Matthews line with Nylander and Johnsson works, the Kerfoot Mikheyev Kapanen line looks good

We shouldn't be looking to reinvent the wheel here, if it works stick with it and don't make changes for the sake of it

Also Matthews and Marner look awful together, they just don't mesh for some reason and I'm not keen on trying to force something that screws up our top 6 lines and combinations

Yep. Lol that line has bee stellar at 5v5 (whcih is why Babcock uses them more at even strength this year than the Marner/JT line)

I don't understand why were messing with something that works either

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
He's impressed me a lot, but I would be very surprised if went and put up 60 points this year.

I'd bet for around 40-50 now since his hot start, which technically is regression from his pace now, but still a really impressive first season for him.
Since he doesn’t play on the PP, 60 might be high but 50+ at 5v5 is realistic. It’s his play without the puck that really impresses me.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I don't care how well that you think he does those things, with his hands of stone he doesn't belong anywhere near the top 6. Do we need a left hand power forward? Yep. But it ain't "Stone hands" Hyman.
If you read my post, I said babcock likes this wether you like it or not. He said it all of last year why he has Hyman on that line. How have they looked without him? Curious who you would add as a left handed power forward? Ideas?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This team is like a road construction crew.

You got a bunch of guys standing around doing f*** all and one guy with the shovel working his tail off.

Our star players are the guys standing around and Mikheyev is the guy with the shovel.

Reactions: Trapper

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Leads the Leafs with 9 points at 5v5 and can't even crack the 2nd PP unit for whatever reason. Lots of good examples of poor player usage on this team, but that might be the worst
This form of "production control" has worked so dang well in getting our other players signed.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Leads the Leafs with 9 points at 5v5 and can't even crack the 2nd PP unit for whatever reason. Lots of good examples of poor player usage on this team, but that might be the worst

What kind of sick and diseased management team still keeps Babcock?

I think he needs to go to the quiet room to be checked out. Sounds like he has a severe brain injury. Also would be worthwhile to try to locate his ****ing balls.

Somehow we have the dumbest coach and the most cowardly GM for not being able to fire that dumbass.

Lmfao!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This form of "production control" has worked so dang well in getting our other players signed.
I thought that was it, but our top unit still only gets ~50 seconds of time before being yanked off even though everyone's already paid. Yes suppressing their production is a side effect, but the real problem is our coaches have no idea how to use players effectively and put them into a position to succeed.

As an aside, our PP coach played his top unit most of the time in Florida. I can't fathom why he'd abandon that now after the reasonable success he had last year, unless Babcock is "encouraging" it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->