Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Vesey is a $1.5. No way I'm giving Spooner $4 and Namestnikov $4.5--they'd be going out the door first. I'd be playing hard ball with all three of these guys. Yeah, Namestnikov's numbers kind of justify that kind of contract but he did almost all of it for Tampa and almost none of it for the Rangers--which is to say we don't really owe him but for right now we own him. Use your leverage. Spooner is too one dimensional and he's a perimeter player. To me they want bigger deals then they'll have to prove they deserve it. Same with Vesey.

Hayes I would give that $5.5 mil per contract to. Skjei?--I don't know. Depends on whether we're doing a bridge deal or locking him up. I'm kind of inclined towards the bridge deal right now. To me his play took a step back last year. I'm not so sure he's going to be a legit 1st pairing guy. $3 is fair on a bridge deal.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The value to a team who won't compete for a cup for a minimum of 3 years for a player of his age is negligible compared to what assets he brings back could be worth to the team 3 years from now.
Bingo.

1. Sign Kovalchuk.
2. Put him in every situation where he can succeed and boost his trade value
3. Trade him at TDL
4. Profit

Easy.

Reactions: Ola

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Bingo.

1. Sign Kovalchuk.
2. Put him in every situation where he can succeed and boost his trade value
3. Trade him at TDL
4. Profit

Easy.
I think I hated people making this argument when the season was going on, and the new lottery system kind of flattens the curve a bit so Philadelphia 76ers stuff isn't as worthwhile. But this is an open window for a few years for the Rangers to be really bad and see get what they can get out of it. The top-top level talent is basically just an old goalie. Bunch of good players but there's no Bergeron and Marchand here. And the depth isn't so good that we won't have replacement-level players (Careys, Nieveses, O'Garas etc) eating up a lot of minutes.

It's not fair to David Quinn, the guys with season tickets, most of the players really. But we usually do okay with drafting and development, so if we don't eat shit for these next couple years it might take a long time before we can eat shit again.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Team value vs trade value, that's the question.

If we leave Kovalchuk own reasons not to sign with the Rangers out of equation it is such an easy scale to weigh:

Kovalchuk for 2 years + assets Zuke would bring >>>> Zuke for 1 year (because what do you sign him for after?).

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Kovalchuk isn't signing here to be traded.

It does make a fair amount of sense for him. He owns a house nearby, so for a player who wants to win a Cup, he can sign here... live at home for 3/4 of the season, then get a chance at the Cup for a few months.

In no way am I saying it’ll happen. But the logic isn’t really twisted.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If we leave Kovalchuk own reasons not to sign with the Rangers out of equation it is such an easy scale to weigh:

Kovalchuk for 2 years + assets Zuke would bring >>>> Zuke for 1 year (because what do you sign him for after?).

I don't think Quinn is a Kovalchuk guy. The coach will be looking for speed, can this 35 yr old handle it...risky business.

With Zucc's team value I also mean everything else he brings to the table, not just his hockey skills.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think Quinn is a Kovalchuk guy. The coach will be looking for speed, can this 35 yr old handle it...risky business.

With Zucc's team value I also mean everything else he brings to the table, not just his hockey skills.

At 35, Kovalchuk moves better than Zuccarello.

And if we're talking about intangibles, Kovalchuk has the ones that this team is looking for. Zucc? Not so much.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Team value vs trade value, that's the question.

Kovalchuk is a better player than Zuccarello right now. What would you prefer:

Scenario A. Kovalchuk + assets for Zuccarello + potential assets for Kovalchuk at the deadline

Scenario B. Zuccarello

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Kovalchuk is a better player than Zuccarello right now. What would you prefer:

Scenario A. Kovalchuk + assets for Zuccarello + potential assets for Kovalchuk at the deadline

Scenario B. Zuccarello

Scenario C. They will both be on the team.

I don't know enough about Kovalchuk. But I do know he's old, I also doubt he'll accept a deal without ntc/nmc only to be traded at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad