Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’d offer him an $8m one year deal with no trade protection. Let him prove his worth on a one year deal. Tell him that if the team is out of the playoff race he will be traded to a true contender where he can compete for a Cup. The Rangers retain half his cap hit and in return get another Nash-like deal of another 1st, prospect and young player. Kovie gets to play near his home he already has for most of the year and make more than he would on a longer deal.

Win-win

Reactions: broadwayblue

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I’d offer him an $8m one year deal with no trade protection. Let him prove his worth on a one year deal. Tell him that if the team is out of the playoff race he will be traded to a true contender where he can compete for a Cup. The Rangers retain half his cap hit and in return get another Nash-like deal of another 1st, prospect and young player. Kovie gets to play near his home he already has for most of the year and make more than he would on a longer deal.

Win-win

Lose-Lose

How are you going to sign Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, Vesey, Skjei, + at least two other forwards (to make 12 & 13 respectively) + at least one more D (Gilmour, to make 7 and the D is weak) + a backup goalie with the 22M you have left (projected) after signing this dinosaur for 8M?

Pass. Huge pass.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lose-Lose

How are you going to sign Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, Vesey, Skjei, + at least two other forwards (to make 12 & 13 respectively) + at least one more D (Gilmour, to make 7 and the D is weak) + a backup goalie with the 22M you have left (projected) after signing this dinosaur for 8M?

Pass. Huge pass.

Hayes: 5m
Namestnikov: 4.5m
Spooner: 4m
Vesey: 1.5m
Skjei: 3m

That's 18m

That leaves 3 million for a backup goalie, a forward and 7D

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Lose-Lose

Pass. Huge pass.

Trade Zuccarello or one of Hayes, Spooner or Namestnikov. Replace with ELC. Done.

If the Rangers wanted to do this, I’d sign Kovalchuk to a 1 year deal with him being allowed to submit a 20 team no trade list on February 1 and the promise to deal him to a contender by the deadline.

Reactions: NYR Viper and jas

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Vesey isn't getting done at 1.5, Hayes is probably more like 5.5, Skjei isn't getting done at 3. I'll agree with Spooner and Namestnikov.

And let's not forget our "starting" D under this scenario is:

Pionk
ADA
Kampfer
Staal
Shattenkirk
Skjei

Which is probably the worst in the NHL.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Trade Zuccarello or one of Hayes, Spooner or Namestnikov. Replace with ELC. Done.

If the Rangers wanted to do this, I’d sign Kovalchuk to a 1 year deal with him being allowed to submit a 20 team no trade list on February 1 and the promise to deal him to a contender by the deadline.

I'd much rather sign/trade for a youngish starting NHL D then spending 8M on Kovalchuk. To each his own.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Vesey isn't getting done at 1.5, Hayes is probably more like 5.5, Skjei isn't getting done at 3. I'll agree with Spooner and Namestnikov.

Pionk
ADA
Kampfer
Staal
Shattenkirk
Skjei

Our D sucks ... they really did need to add Lindgren , Hajek and Rykov to the pool

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Lose-Lose

Pass. Huge pass.

It's extremely likely that Zucc and at least one of Spooner/Namestnikov will be traded. I'm not saying we should offer Kovy a 1 year deal for 8 mil, but it is absolutely doable.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Bringing kovalchuk to a team that already has Mika and Shattenkirk for their PP makes zero sense. He can play on a team that needs a righty shooter that has a much better chance To win.

We make no sense for him.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Bringing kovalchuk to a team that already has Mika and Shattenkirk for their PP makes zero sense. He can play on a team that needs a righty shooter that has a much better chance To win.

We make no sense for him.
Winnipeg has 4 right handed shots on their top unit.

Reactions: RGY

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's extremely likely that Zucc and at least one of Spooner/Namestnikov will be traded. I'm not saying we should offer Kovy a 1 year deal for 8 mil, but it is absolutely doable.

Don't be surprised if Zucc stays. And I doubt they want to spend that kind of money on Kovalchuk, at 35 he's becoming a risk healthwise.

In my opinion the Rangers don't need more veterans and leaders on the roster. Shattenkirk and Kreider will probably get a bigger role, along with Zucc and Staal. Zibanejad, Hayes and Fast are also in there.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I can't wait for Kovalchuk to sign elsewhere. We are going to be bad next year. Embrace the rebuild. Let's have a great draft, top effort from our players and some player development.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Pionk
ADA
Kampfer
Staal
Shattenkirk
Skjei

This is all true. But if the goal is to add assets it would be a good way to do so. I don’t see a way for this team to turn it around in one year. So next year may be rough either way.

Trade Zuccarello and either Spooner or Namestnikov. Problem solved if there even is one for the cap. You can still find a decent depth defenseman on the UFA market or see if a team like Washington would eat half of Orpik’s final year and add him for literally nothing. No long term commitment, he’s a proven leader in the room and they may give the Rangers an asset to take him.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I can't wait for Kovalchuk to sign elsewhere. We are going to be bad next year. Embrace the rebuild. Let's have a great draft, top effort from our players and some player development.
We will be bad but It will be a more fun season to watch than last one. This is weird.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Always seemed like a given he'd end up with the Rangers at some point even back in his Devils days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad