Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Maybe I'm sensitive to this sort of thing because I am a Rangers fan, but is it just me or did the general narrative among league fans change from "lol Kovy is washed up and the Rangers money bags will sign another over the hill guy" to "oh yeah, Kovy is definitely a serviceable player, hope he signs for us!!" ?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maybe I'm sensitive to this sort of thing because I am a Rangers fan, but is it just me or did the general narrative among league fans change from "lol Kovy is washed up and the Rangers money bags will sign another over the hill guy" to "oh yeah, Kovy is definitely a serviceable player, hope he signs for us!!" ?
That's pretty much exactly how it has played out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think there was ever any chance of him coming here (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!). I couldn't imagine him coming back to play for a "rebuilding/retooling" team that will take 2-3 years to seriously contend for the Cup.

Yeah I would 'bet' that it is unlikely too.

However, one thing I have learned over the years is to just not take -- anything -- for granted in these situations. I wouldn't rule out Kovalchuk all of a sudden signing in the KHL, I wouldn't rule out Kovalchuk not getting a single NHL offer, I wouldn't rule out Kovalchuk signing with us.

The season is still ongoing. Kovalchuk hired a new agent to do some work. He will put JP Barry to solicit as many offers as possible and then sit down and make a decision. Nothing can be done in 24 days. Kovalchuk has been around before. He has of course spoken with Barry once hired, during which talks they agreed on a game-plan, and then Kovalchuk has probably circled a few dates in the calendar late June/early July. Or they will take it as it comes. But I can guarantee one thing, no matter which option plays out -- the TALK in media would be the same. No doubt. The agent and player both benefit from talks. Grossman basically created a buzz every summer since Kova went to the KHL. Now the conditions have changed and of course its more likely that something will get done with a NHL team, I would bet on like NYI or Toronto my self. But the 'talk' does not have to have anything to do with what is going on in the real world, even if its direct quotes from the agent, GM or the player... ;)

Linnarhult

May 6, 2006
Though it doesn't make any real sense, other than that Kovy for some reason really wants to be in NY, I'd be happy if he signs here mainly for two reasons.
One; mentoring and playing with Buchnevich.
Two; To releive some of the pressure for our younger players. If I'm Andersson, Chytil or even Buchnevich, I'm going into this season hungry, wanting to make an immediate impact. Hopefully, they'll do just that, but I can almost guarantee that there will be slumps along the season. Having a veteran player around who can score will help.

And also, 2-3 years I can handle. At least its not 6-7...

Reactions: bobbop

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You’re taking 24 year old Zibanejad off the pp for kovalchuk? Or you’re replacing Shattenkirk?

Righty shots on the PP is a strength of ours.

He’s probably not going anywhere he’s not a top pp guy he’s probably not going anywhere that isn’t a contender.

We make no sense for him.

Just put him on the 2nd unit. Problem solved

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Nah I think only 1/2 of one page. Most pointing out how ridiculous this idea is
Ya never really know until it's tried. If he bombs out, yeah, then it was stupid. If he ends up tearing up the league in goals, then it'll be great. It's a crap shoot and no one really knows or has a crystal ball.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It’d be nice to have a shooting threat in the slot regularly. Been a while.
It’s part of what makes Boston, Winnipeg, and Washington so dangerous -especially with the righty shot in the slot. It’s one of the reasons why I hope Gorton keeps trying to add right-handed shots to help vary how we attack in the offensive zone.

Kovy would be a great help with this, but I doubt he’s signing here now after these recent rumors.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
idiotic islander fans actually believe that Kovy will sign with the islanders...don't they realize that Lou lamoriello was the Gm of the Devils when Kovy "retired" and left the devils. what a bunch of imbeciles.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
idiotic islander fans actually believe that Kovy will sign with the islanders...don't they realize that Lou lamoriello was the Gm of the Devils when Kovy "retired" and left the devils. what a bunch of imbeciles.
Lou's feelings aren't as hurt by this as some here would have you believe.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I had Igor Eronko on our show and he and others have said this as well that Kovalchuk and Lou do not have a strained relationship, contrary to popular belief.

Reactions: Thirty One

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Of course they don't. The Devils getting out of that contract hurt them for a year but was a huge win in the long term.

It mightve even been Lous idea

This - his contract would have been an albatross at the end. It was a 15 year deal that we would only be halfway through right now...

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Everyone will hate him if he signs with us; everyone will love him if he signs elsewhere, just like it was with Jagr. I remember him getting booed every time he touched the puck when he was with us. Then when he left us, everyone loved him again. We're always the villains for some reason. I guess because we win Stanley Cups every year. :confused:

Reactions: bl02

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

The hockey consensus is that he's a 25 goal- 60 point 2nd line winger.

The consensus on this board is that "he's old".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->